Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Last week I installed power steering on our Pioneer 500.
I purchased the SuperATV (Ezsteer) system that is sold by SuperATV and several other companies. I paid $450 shipped to the house for mine if you are wondering.

I personally think the system is well made and works GREAT - one of the best additions we have made to our Pioneer. The steering is NOT speed sensitive but I found it works well at all speeds and eliminates the bump steer that is common on the P500 (especially with larger than stock tires)

When I installed it I took some photos to help people see what is involved and decide it they are up to doing their own install. I personally say it is a 2 out of 5 on my skill needed to install list. It is really fairly easy and can be done in a few hours with just some "normal" hand tools.

Overall SuperATVs instructions that they give you (and can be found online HERE) are really well done and pretty easy to follow.

The first thing is unpack all the box and make sure you have everything that should be included and double check all the parts for function and finish. Once that is completed take your hood off and set it off to the side. I did NOT remove any wheels for the install but you can remove the front drivers wheel if you feel it will help you out - your call.

Ps parts

Once the hood is off, I began by running my wiring. This is the most time consuming part but again not difficult. Just make sure you secure all the wiring well so it can not come loose off road. I personally use zip ties to hold everything in place. My photos show an extra red wire, this is because I ran an extra wire so I can add a small fuse panel for my LED lights and GPS power. Figured I was running wire anyway so what is one more.
When running the wires DONT HOOK THEM UP YET - just let them sit in the battery box safely away from the terminals.

I pulled my floor out to install the wires so I could make sure they are not touching anything they should not. To remove the floor just pop out the plastic rivets and a couple phillips screws and pull it up and out.

Once the wires are up under the hood and secured all the way you can put the floor back in and button it
all back up.

Now it is time to start doing the physical install of the Power steering system

If you look closely at the shaft you can see the threads then a grove - the bolts go "through" this grove and lock the link to the shaft.

Here is what the factory shaft looks like after it is removed - stick it parts bin just incase, but hopefully you will never see or touch it again.

Here are the shafts you will be installing for the power steering - the longer shaft goes on the steering stem to the PS motor

Just get everything in place and just tighten the bolt enough so the shafts don't fall off - you want to have play in everything at this point.

Here is the motor and how it will mount.

Take the top and bottom bracket and bolt them together with the frame/shock support bracket between them (use m8x55mm bolts), soon as that is loosely in mount the motor to the bracket with the M8x20mm bolts. When you go to put the motor on the bracket slip the bottom shaft on to the bottom motor shaft mount.

Now take the top steering shaft and slip it on the steering wheel and the top motor mount. Again don't tighten everything down yet.

You can now bolt the control box mount down tight

You can now mount your control box and tighten it up. After that is tight I started to tighten the 6 mounting bolts. I tighten the front 3 (closest to radiator) up a little past snug first, then the back 3, then cranked down the front three, then finished by cranking down the back ones. While doing this watch the shaft (lower) as it will want to move into the master cylinder. You need to find the right combo of tightening the bolts to keep the shaft from contacting the master cyl. It took me a few tries but the above combo worked for my machine, yours maybe different. Just make sure you have clearance or you WILL damage the master cylinder when the steering shafts turn.

Now that the mounts are tight and you have some clearance between the shafts and master cylinder go ahead and tighten ALL the bolts on shafts and make sure they do not bind.

Go ahead and install the plug in connectors into the control box - make sure they snap in and the seals are tight

The picture is taken from the hood opening looking down at the ground to try and show the gap you should have between the shaft and Master Cyl.

Now you have a little skinny white wire you need to install to a SWITCHED power source. The back of the 12v power port will work or if you have the Honda Aux harness (I have one on this machine) you can tap into the white with black stripped wire. They give you a scotch lock faster to use and it will work fine - just make sure you seal it up well. I personally use liquid electrical tape.
There is also a red Led light that is attached to the harness. It does not mount to anything but id just there if there is a problem - it blinks an error code. I just zip tied mine to the harness in case I need to see it and it kept it out of the way and away from damage.

You can now hook up your battery and button up the box.

Make sure the connections are snapped into place and go test it out!

I personally LOVE the power steering and feel it makes a already good machine great!
Shop around as there is some vendors that will give you discounts on the PS and save you some cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks @Code54 for the write up.
I road one with PS and I agree, it is a world of difference. Not really sure why I never installed it my self. Maybe I just like the workout you get while in 4x4 lock. haha..

Reactions: Eltobgi
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great write up!!!!

Reactions: ohanacreek
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys - I hope it helps some people out.

Just got mine p500 today, thinking about power steering add-on. Any feedback after running it for about 6 months? I saw some complaints of getting it broken right about a year of use.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Still working great and without any problems at all. I can't see anything that looks odd or like a problem is coming. I would buy it again and am still very pleased with it.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still working great and without any problems at all. I can't see anything that looks odd or like a problem is coming. I would buy it again and am still very pleased with it.

Just finished install :), the most painful was to bolt control box :). I decided to go usual pack rat way and still want to have an option of installing Honda underhood cargo box. With usual way of mounting control panel , no way you can do it , here is alternative way, and I used clamp from honda pioneer horn kit , everything is useful :). It does not look like it fail to hold the box, time will show, and I was lazy tonight to drive to home depot and then make a new bracket.

Also I want to add that shaft u-joints came very dry, I used waterproof grease to lubricate, although Kevin from Super ATV said u-joints are sealed no lubrication needed. Well I still did since honda original shaft had grease.

Steering is very easy now, did not go for a test ride, but to move wheels left right is almost effortless now with one hand. Very essential mod as to me.

Here is few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20151005_231353609.jpg
    IMG_20151005_231353609.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_20151006_205228801.jpg
    IMG_20151006_205228801.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_20151006_205239637.jpg
    IMG_20151006_205239637.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 958
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Where did you ever find this for $450? I know this is an old post, but if I can may any amount less than $599. I'll be happy.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Super ATV should knock off 50$ , mention Hondasxs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudder and doolin64
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
When it first came out it was a LOT cheaper. Not too long after I bought it they raised the price a considerable amount. Guess they figured it work way too good for $450.... LOL

Reactions: doolin64
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Where did you ever find this for $450? I know this is an old post, but if I can may any amount less than $599. I'll be happy.

There are always a couple listed on eBay and Amazon for $550.

B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check eBay.... hondarus2tj on eBay they are HONDA of Russellville and are excellent to deal with !!!! They have them for 549 free ship

Reactions: solrus
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked mine up for my 700 from the superatv site on black Friday. They had a sale on them and if you use the coupon code 'hondaforum' it saves even more. My came out to $525 so even better then ebay. I can say this is by far the best upgrade. I drove about 35 miles today in the idaho desert with 8 inches of snow in full diif lock and it was EFFORTLESS.

Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Nice write up... I got mine back with I bought the P500 and it would probably be one of the best mods I have done as well.. I got mine through the ATV superstore as well, install was not as bad as I expected it to be.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks Longbrake, the install is not really as bad as one would think and it sure is NICE.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Just installed a 'Rugged' power steering kit on mine- looks identical to the Super ATV version. What a difference! If we can buy this at retail for $525, this should be a $400 option at MOST from Honda. The trying to "keep costs down" excuse just don't cut it on this one....

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
@Code54 is the power steering still holding up no problems?

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I got this power steering kit over 2 years ago when they were about $429 and loved it. Was working great for some months until one day it stopped working. Super ATV was fantastic in troubleshooting, said they had a small batch of earlier control boxes where some had gone bad, so they sent me a new control box. It worked for a couple minutes then stopped, they sent me a 2nd new control box, it also worked for a couple minutes then stopped. Then they sent me a new motor/gearbox, but I couldn't put it on because the bolts for the shaft u joint clamps would not loosen, one bolt head sheared off. It was a nightmare, should never tighten those bolts, just snug them, they were medium grade hardness at best. I replaced mine with AN type hardened bolts. How to remove the lower steering shaft with one sheared off bolt head? and the 2nd one ready to shear off in a place I could barely reach was beyond me. I took my machine to my local ATV dealer and the mechanic did some magic and got those bolts out, I couldn't thank him enough. The lower shaft had stripped threads so Super ATV sent me a new shaft, and I noticed the bolt was not black like the others, it was a light copper color more hardened, so I replaced the other bolts with AN type hardened ones in case I ever had to take them off again I didn't want to risk sheared off heads again with those softer black bolts. The new motor/gearbox solved the problem. What had happened was there is a resistance sensor on the gearbox. With the machine sitting still or going slow there is more tire turning resistance and the sensor knows this and tells the motor to send more steering assist power. But when going faster there is less tire resistance so the sensor tells the motor to send less power. It's a safety feature because when going faster you don't need much power steering assist and if you get full power steering assist at higher speeds, you risk over steering and losing control. Seems all power steering systems have this safety feature. The reason the 2 new control boxes worked for a couple minutes then stopped is because after a short time, the control boxes knew the gearbox sensor was faulty, and for safety reasons they shut themselves down. Myself and Super ATV thought it would be great if the gearbox sensor was replaceable, but it's integrated into the whole motor/gearbox system. In my shop I have laying around the original motor/gearbox, and 2 perfectly good control boxes all because of one faulty resistance sensor. It was a 3 week frustrating nightmare getting my power steering working again, but it's been working perfect ever since, about a year and a half now and maybe 1,000 miles with lots of slow riding and working the power steering a lot. The Super ATV tech I worked with was excellent, they probably lost money on my system but they didn't care, they just wanted me up & running and happy. Some of the best customer service I ever experienced, fantastic. I had asked the tech about their half windshield, and without me asking, for my troubles he got me a nice discount on their half windshield.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!