Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tflynn submitted a new resource:

Rear differential oil change guide - Rear differential oil change guide

Today I changed diff oil and snapped a few pictures along the way. This is pretty easy to do and there's no reason to pay someone else to do it! This is only intended as a guide blah blah blah consult your owners manual you know the drill!

What you'll need-
Rags or paper towels
Gear oil, I buy 1 liter
Funnel with a flexible hose on the end
Drain pan
10mm Socket with 3" extension
17mm socket
Ratchet for the above sockets

First I like to drive around a few miles to warm up the oil. If this...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
Thanks. As I questioned with the other differential, any %age of Lucas help? Could it hurt?

Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
Just curious does it have to be hypoid gear oil? My local store and syn royal purple 85w-140. I have in my shop redline 75w-90. In my vehicles I always use syn gear oil with the additive for lockers that should be fine right? This is my first sxs just in case this is a ridiculous question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
wanting to know the same thing I am wanting to change mine to the royal purple 75w-140 . is RP 75w-140 a HYPOID oil? I know it says its a API GL-5 or GL-4 oil.

thanks

Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
I'm just going to use Lucas engine oil adder and some 90w for the diffs. Neighbor did this and the rear diff is a lot quieter. Also going to jack it up on one side so it can have a proper amount of oil on the rear diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm sure it will be fine. I was hoping someone smarter than me would chime in here. I don't really know enough about the different kinds of oils or additives to give you guys great advice on that subject. My gut says you'll be ok for whatever that's worth!

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Amsoil Synthetic ATV/UTV Transmission & Differential Fluid

I use Amsoil in every thing I own. Prior to my 700-4 I used the engine oil and diff case fluids in both my 01 Foreman and 01 Rancher. My Duramax, Lexus and my toy hauler's generator are filled with it.

Can't beat it in MHO.

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
Good write up . Thanks. I'm using a mixture of 75-140 Syn and 25% Lucas in both. I warmed mine and poured a few oz's of just pure 75-140 thru to flush it. In the olden days in England when the chaffeurs did all the car maintance, they'd put in a flushing oil , drive 4-5 miles and change the oil again with their preferred oil. I don't go that far, but with all my 4 cycle engines: lawnmowers, tractor, truck, car, airplane, I usually put some clean oil thru after its all drained out, let it drain, then fill. I do that with oil in my P700 and the diff's. Just a thought.

Reactions: Tflynn
JohnNH

JohnNH

Aug 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
How often do you change the diff oil

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just changed mine over the Amsoil synthetic and I think Honda employees must be smoking something. The underside protective cover was install backwards. The drain hole was on the opposite side from the drain valve. It's a mirror item but come on!!

Reactions: JWB and Tflynn
Suerocks

Suerocks

May 20, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just changed mine over the Amsoil synthetic and I think Honda employees must be smoking something. The underside protective cover was install backwards. The drain hole was on the opposite side from the drain valve. It's a mirror item but come on!!

Suerocks

Suerocks

May 20, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
The skid plate on my 700 was also backwards. Same as yours. I made a dam with towels to direct the fluid to over to the hole on the other side. Messy but worked.

Reactions: Backwoods
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!