Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Contemplating removing rear sway bar. Anyone done it and was there a difference?

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
I haven't. But I'd think you would lose some control.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I unhook it while at home riding the skidder trails out back below 30 mph. gets a little tippy on the fast corners above that speed. my bike is quite top heavy with the accessory's and the dog box. for slow going its night and day without. try it it goes right back in. I used none locking nuts it makes it much easers to swap. I just cable tie the bar to the frame when the links are remove.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds great. I figured you would get quite a bit more articulation out of the rear. My arctic cat ATV I had before didn't have a rear sway bar. And of was awesome in the hard core 4low situations.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I removed mine. Not really sure I noticed a difference. But I'm sure it had one. Same for my Rincon. I plan to leave it off.

I left my bar on as well. Just zip-tied it to the frame with a decent sized zip-tie.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I almost started a new post on this topic, good thing I searched for it first! You guys have me convinced I'm un hooking mine tomorrow

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got the sway bar removed and I say yes, there is definetly a difference! I will probably leave it off as I haven't noticed extreme body roll. There is a little body roll but not much. The trade off is worth it in my opinion, rear articulation is much better!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,142
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice, Removing the bar will really help when your on some very technical stuff.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just an update- I have a couple hundred miles now with the sway bar removed and what I have noticed is while driving in certain areas that used to require 4 wheel lock I now no longer need it. The better articulation is keeping all four wheels on the ground and in turn giving better traction. Not bad for a completely free mod that only requires removing four nuts!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to remove mine then. my arctic cat atv didn't have one and it would climb log piles, rocks and ruts some much better than the other brands I rode with. I figured the articulation was the key

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
And how are those fox shocks working in the rough stuff? I have had my sway bar removed for a while now, but just installed the fox shocks. Really looking forward to trying them out!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think you'll like them. Don't expect a huge difference on the smaller, choppy stuff. There is a little difference but not huge. Where you will really love them is on bigger hits. No more bottoming out! They are really nice and the adjustability is priceless.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I just removed my sway bar. I can say if you're thinking about doing it, do it with the tires off, before you install cv guards and an underbody skid. What a PIA it was to get out, lots of wiggling and adjusting but it's completely out.

Rides much smoother and more articulation for sure, noticeable from just a small ride around the yard on a packed path.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah I could see that being quite the project. I just removed the links, put them in the glovebox, and turned the bar up out of the way and zip tied it in place. If for some reason I might want to hook it back up, it will be easy to do. However I doubt I ever will, just can't imagine why I would but its nice to have the option. Removing the bar would give it a cleaner look for sure.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I just figured it would be needless weight and I know it would end up rattling around after the zipties break from sticks or something pulling on it. It won't be going back on for sure just because of how bad it was to get out I can't imagine trying to put it back!

What do you all run the rear shocks at for settings after swaybar removal? I have mine currently set right in the middle but I know a lot of people like to run stiffer shocks if no sway bar.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn't change mine at all. With stock shocks I was on the softest setting and with the fox shox I'm at their factory setting, considering trying them a bit softer. The softer they are the better articulation you get, I would think making them stiffer kind of defeats the point of removing the sway bar but perhaps some others have had success with that setup. I would try all the way soft for a few miles and then switch to all the way hard. See what you like

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Even in the snow I found it very hard to oversteer now after sway bar removal. Just something to think about if you drift often!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great read!! 4 The guys that are running lift kits and or around steep hills, are you removing the bar too?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!