Receiver Hitch Beware

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Tongue weight on the sticker says 150#. That is pretty "Mickey mouse" in my opinion. Yes the disc does put a lot of pressure in a upward motion. But ain't gonna argue bout it. Here is what we fabricated last nite. Took of the plastic skid plate beneath the receiver. Replaced it with 1/4" steel plate. Used plasma cutter to cut out holes for fluid change out. Then welded 3/8" angle iron to the 1/4" plate. Got new receiver from TSC. Welded it to top off angle iron. Got 2 3/8" bolts going thru the end of frame tubes. Then replaced the 6 M 60 (bout 1/2" in length) with 6 that are 2" long. Took it off last nite. Put bout 3 coats of good paint on it for rust protection. Here are pics. Will post more when I install it back on this evening

dayum, that should work! will probably tear the rear end out before it breaks again.

D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
Now that hitch could survive an atomic blast.

D

deltaduk

Aug 16, 2015
Guy that helped me makes trailers for BIG tow trucks. Pretty sure he was a qualified welder fabricator. It was hell getting it back off to paint when I got home last nite. Hope it ain't that hard to get back on. Cause it is heavy.

D

deltaduk

Aug 16, 2015
I am happy with this Bfe7aca39d68386525e96ce8460eb7e7

D

deltaduk

Aug 16, 2015
I did this food plot with the ground hog max in about 30 minutes. It had been sprayed and bush hogged bout 3 weeks earlier. I was also lucky that we had some rain a few days prior 40b7d0768bdfcd13b37e54b34c641667
Guessing it was between a 1/4 to 1/2 acre in size. Did 4 plots bout like this over the weekend.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
My receiver has also failed. Never did anything with it other than a recovery point.

7035f6f824022130c40dc6dbb515a731

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
Dang, that's hosed, now every time a mosquito lands on my tow hitch I am going to worry. Kidding aside, I have the ABI gravel rascal LGR road grader. My neighbor broke his tow hitch right off his atv, and that summer I bent the crap out of my kawasaki mule tow hitch grading w/ that thing. To be fair the LGR has scarifying blades that can go like 6 or 7" deep and on a hard packed road the impact of hitting a rock can knock the fillings out of your teeth. I have only used the LGR grader twice w/ my Honda and I have been really careful. seeing this weld break has me thinking I should sell my LGR grader.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang, that's hosed, now every time a mosquito lands on my tow hitch I am going to worry. Kidding aside, I have the ABI gravel rascal LGR road grader. My neighbor broke his tow hitch right off his atv, and that summer I bent the crap out of my kawasaki mule tow hitch grading w/ that thing. To be fair the LGR has scarifying blades that can go like 6 or 7" deep and on a hard packed road the impact of hitting a rock can knock the fillings out of your teeth. I have only used the LGR grader twice w/ my Honda and I have been really careful. seeing this weld break has me thinking I should sell my LGR grader.

I'm looking at the LGR how do you like it?

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
I'm looking at the LGR how do you like it?
I don't think it is worth the money, I wish they had more selection in this category but the lgr is about the only thing that can dig down and get them pot holes. The frame has weak spots, broke my frame like the 3rd or 4th time I used it. ABI sent a replacement part by slow ground shipping, it was a real hassle taking it all apart to put the new piece back on, the rig is real heavy so it was a pain doing it by myself if u have someone to help it's easier. as heavy as the machine is it still could use some weight over the blades so it don't bounce when you hit a rock, that's how the frame broke, it's not the rock, it's when it bounces up 6" then the 350Lbs of weight coming down lands on 1 or 2 of the blades. If they made a small box for a couple of cinder blocks or them 12 by 8 patio bricks it would keep it from bouncing. And it is hell on an ATV, you want to beef up your hitch and lower your blades just a little at a time, loosen the gravel a little at a time. After it broke my neighbors hitch I decided to use it only after heavy rain, that loosens up the gravel a little. If you really need one try to buy it used.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
I was really hoping the LGR gravel rascal was going to be the answer to my road and driveway problems, but what I really need is a Kubota LOL. Prolly need at least 20 grand to get one that will do the stuff I need. Doesn't do any good to hire someone, pay 3 grand to do the road, the frost heaves in the fall and spring ruin half of what you fixed requires regular maintenance.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We don't have frost heaves and my 18hp kubota is too small probably need a $30k 25-30hp one to be heavy enough to dig, the box blade just buries itself as it starts to dig and the scarifiers will stop it too, so far my neighbor has been nice enough to bring his M series over and grade it.

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
the rascal looks like it would be a pissa rig for some prepared dirt, but I can see where a buried stone would become a problem makes my teeth rattle just thinking about it lol.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
We don't have frost heaves and my 18hp kubota is too small probably need a $30k 25-30hp one to be heavy enough to dig, the box blade just buries itself as it starts to dig and the scarifiers will stop it too, so far my neighbor has been nice enough to bring his M series over and grade it.
Ha ha it never ends does it :) more money bigger eqpt and so on and so forth. I will keep buying that powerball ticket, when I hit that I will buy the grand Kubota LOL.

Reactions: ohanacreek
G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Has anyone called their dealer or talked to Honda about this to see what they would do if anything?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Looks like I'll be fixin' mine soon. I went for a ride today and came across a spot where the road had washed out. The ground is frozen and there was probably a 8 to 10" drop going into the wash, I figured no problem. Well I still had a trailer ball in the receiver which helped break the rear ends fall into the wash, which resulted in this
20160201 125441 zpsy3ykvpdf

20160201 125430 zps85m0ee9u

I even used it to drag a downed tree off the trail after that.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Looks like I'll be fixin' mine soon. I went for a ride today and came across a spot where the road had washed out. The ground is frozen and there was probably a 8 to 10" drop going into the wash, I figured no problem. Well I still had a trailer ball in the receiver which helped break the rear ends fall into the wash, which resulted in this
20160201 125441 zpsy3ykvpdf

20160201 125430 zps85m0ee9u

I even used it to drag a downed tree off the trail after that.

That's exactly how mine failed I think. I had it welded, brace across the top, two small ones on the sides and one on the bottom front. Seems better but time will tell.

C85e3599e43a7bb356e7d409d6a5e8a7

D

Deleted member 3748

Tongue weight on the sticker says 150#. That is pretty "Mickey mouse" in my opinion. Yes the disc does put a lot of pressure in a upward motion. But ain't gonna argue bout it. Here is what we fabricated last nite. Took of the plastic skid plate beneath the receiver. Replaced it with 1/4" steel plate. Used plasma cutter to cut out holes for fluid change out. Then welded 3/8" angle iron to the 1/4" plate. Got new receiver from TSC. Welded it to top off angle iron. Got 2 3/8" bolts going thru the end of frame tubes. Then replaced the 6 M 60 (bout 1/2" in length) with 6 that are 2" long. Took it off last nite. Put bout 3 coats of good paint on it for rust protection. Here are pics. Will post more when I install it back on this evening

I wish you were my neighbor. We (you) would make all kinds of cool stuff for us (me). :D

Reactions: GSPKurt
H

HondaTech

Our Honda rep has repeatedly told us to avoid these. They've had people try and file warranty claims on the damage those things have caused.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!