Snorkel/Ram Air Intake

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
IMG 1278
IMG 1279
IMG 1280

Ok friends here it is! I used 2" electrical conduit for the smooth bends. I cut the OEM intake tube just before the resonators and it fits nicely into a 45 degree and then couples to the 90 degree which you see come out between the seatbelt and body area. At the top I wanted a scoop style inlet and couldn't really find what I wanted, so I used a 22.5 degree fitting to a 3" opening adapter to scoop the air. I followed up with metal hose clamps to secure it to the roll cage. I haven't driven it yet to see any performance gain yet. I do notice less intake noise obviously with it located up high. I wanted fresh clean cool air feeding the motor. I think this would work on the P-4 as well. The "scoop" is below the max height of the roof so clearance is a non issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Slick job there @Simpleman,
Ya, same design will apply for the P4.
I have been pondering a design like this for mine, But trails are tight around here. I think I would rip it off. I already ripped both black side fenders off.. lol.
I have been looking at 4 points. And if I go that route I can remove the OEM seat belt and have room inside the ROPS.
Well... Just a idea anyways. See how this summer goes.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
looks really good i like how the pictures on here actually let you see upclose

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Hey guys thanks for the positive feed back. @Hondasxs ya i wanted to route it inside the roll cage and then have it mount into the roof area with flat scoop design but that darn seat belt messes it all up! I do think if you change the seat belt configuration that it can be done rather easily. FYI the intake pipe is about even with the front fender area and since it is up higher I feel that ripping it off would be a little challenging. I used 3 steel hose clamps to attach it to the ROPS and that thing is really solid. I can rock the sxs by the pipe rather violently and it doesn't move. Nice thing is if it did break its only a 5$ pipe! If I were to do it again I'd use a rubber coupler at the 90 degree and 45 degree section behind the seat just to give it a little flexibility from the motor torque and vibration. I hope this helps other members on their snorkel design.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Simpleman, thanks for posting this. I made one very similar today. I used your design as a template.

E8e1ac6bb267c411b23301d8db4b102f

48e4d9e8f4cda86954d78b79fe4edc0f

A57dc0585716910c7c5d403173bdf0a2

Reactions: Offroad407
Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Sweet! That looks good. I went with the "scoop" facing forward to help out the machine. I do most of my riding around 6000-8000 ft elevation and I'm hoping that it will shove a little more air into the motor at cruising speed. I saw Lynn's posts about his supercharger and I hope this has a similar effect without being quite so invasive to the air/fuel system. At low speeds no real advantage but at higher I hope it lets the machine breathe better. There shouldn't be any issue with it running too lean at that elevation and only when at high speed. Glad it worked for you. Just make sure you use more than just zip ties to secure it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks again for your post. Do you really think those zip ties will break. They are rated for 175lbs each. I guess I will throw some worn gear clamps in the glove box just incase.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The problem is it not tearing it off completely and then you get in some water and find out it's leaking.
I routed mine around the seat belt on the inside of the cab and it left the seat belt functional.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's a good point. I'll be sure to check it after I ride a bit. Luckily I did use a rubber connector being the seat to aid in the vibration, but I'll still check the joints often. Also, mine is routed behind the seat belt so I can still ride "legally" on those trails that require seat belts.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I want to do a snorkel but i don't see how without cutting some plastic out. The foot rest area of rear seats or the plastic in between the bed and front seats. I really want to do it but i am apprehensive about starting it. Don't really know where to hook it into to start with. Come from the air box or pipe that is before the air box. It's like i'm a new born when it comes to a snorkel lol.. I'm really good at figuring things out but it's the starting it that hangs me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to do a snorkel but i don't see how without cutting some plastic out. The foot rest area of rear seats or the plastic in between the bed and front seats. I really want to do it but i am apprehensive about starting it. Don't really know where to hook it into to start with. Come from the air box or pipe that is before the air box. It's like i'm a new born when it comes to a snorkel lol.. I'm really good at figuring things out but it's the starting it that hangs me up.

2" will fit between the bed and front set if you remove the factory snorkel. Then run it around the seatbelt and up.

I want to just in case I misjudge a waterhole, but it means cutting a 18" long slit in the mid panel or making (2)90degree bends and a 2"hole.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Update on the ol'girl! Took it out today and rode at elevations from 5000-6500 ft and it was noticeably stronger with the "ram air intake"....
crusied at 30-34 mph. The throttle response was great and it took way less gas peddle to hold that speed! I did notice that at 40mph there wasn't a big change..... I agree with Spifyd that the cam is past HP/Torque curve at that RPM in third gear. It did pull a lot stronger through all the gears but more noticeable at speeds above 25mph which makes sense with the air induction at speed. Hope this helps all who want a "simple" way to get a little more out of the machine. My only concern is the engine may be on the lean side but at that elevation I hope there is no problems... By the way I'm running a K&N air filter with the HMF exhaust with header wrap and other heat deflective tech.

Last edited:
T

Treeguy

Jan 30, 2015
This is where I cut my factoy snorkel to start building from there. I was able to adapt it with two inch rubber joint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 562
Reactions: Hondasxs
B

Booster

Jun 22, 2015
Slidell,La
View attachment 2778 View attachment 2779 View attachment 2780
Ok friends here it is! I used 2" electrical conduit for the smooth bends. I cut the OEM intake tube just before the resonators and it fits nicely into a 45 degree and then couples to the 90 degree which you see come out between the seatbelt and body area. At the top I wanted a scoop style inlet and couldn't really find what I wanted, so I used a 22.5 degree fitting to a 3" opening adapter to scoop the air. I followed up with metal hose clamps to secure it to the roll cage. I haven't driven it yet to see any performance gain yet. I do notice less intake noise obviously with it located up high. I wanted fresh clean cool air feeding the motor. I think this would work on the P-4 as well. The "scoop" is below the max height of the roof so clearance is a non issue.

Can you send me a bill of materials you used for this snorkle? I like your set up as well as pictures of the intake on how you assembled it to the intake box?
[email protected]

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Booster !! glad to see you are hitting the ground running you will fit in nicely with this crowd!!

B

Booster

Jun 22, 2015
Slidell,La
Thanks everyone for the friendly reply's. I am just getting into the S/S riding now. 2015 Pioneer 700 so I am looking for some advise from all of you that have already made your modifications for intakes and increase power. I am interested in best air filter and exhaust to get more out of the Pioneer. I see that some change the muffler and some just change the exhaust tip to a larger diameter to increase air flow. Air flow creates power. So I am open to any advise that is offered.
I went from a Harley Road King Classic to a Pioneer 700. Think this will be a lot more fun......

Reactions: JACKAL
Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Can you send me a bill of materials you used for this snorkle? I like your set up as well as pictures of the intake on how you assembled it to the intake box?
[email protected]
To much work make a sad SXS rider:(
Sent you an email with pics and a description. I went with a K &N air filter with the pre filter installed over that. Since the relocation of the air inlet I have had very little dirt show up on the filter. Hope it helps. Any questions ask around. This group has done quite a bit of mods to the 700 and has been great at sharing info and ideas!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!