BOX1

Spare wheel and tire

1olranchman

Apr 5, 2014
In this part of the country, carrying a spare tire/wheel is a very good idea so I'm looking at getting another wheel/tire. I note that the part numbers for the front and rear wheel are different but the bolt patterns and the wheels themselves look the same. Tire size for front/rear are different but that shouldn't make any difference for a spare. Are the front and rear wheels the same? Why a different part number?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fronts are 2" narrower you could use a front as a spare as long as the tires are same height.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I use a front tire rim for the spare it takes up less space in the box. Now having said that because I'am running 26" Kenda Bear Claw Radials if I was to say get a flat on the rear what I would have to do is. I'd have to take a front tire off and put it on the rear where the flat is and put the spare on the front. I'd do this so that it wouldn't put excessive strain on the drive train in the rear.The front wouldn't matter that much because of the front diff not being locked.I know its a bit extra work to change them around but its a lot better then not being able to drive home or back to the trailer.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
or you could just let some air out of the kenda. mine are 27's and at 5 psi ride height is the same as the stock tires.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
spifyd said:
or you could just let some air out of the kenda. mine are 27's and at 5 psi ride height is the same as the stock tires.
Good idea,easier then changing them around.Thanks :D

J

jsfunride

Jul 28, 2014
I popped a tire at the top of the mountain the other day and now I'm in search of a spare tire carrier - any ideas?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome js, glad to have you ad part of the community.
Only seen custom jobs so far. I got a idea for a mount like a jeep mount off the back. It's on my list of many things to do.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
There are two aftermarket accessories for the Pioneer that are really needed:
1, Fender extenders - anyone that has upgraded their wheels and tires know how much dust and mud makes up into the interior.
2, Swing away rear spare tire carrier - swings away to allow tail gate to open and / or bed to dump.
Hopefully, the aftermarket will finally kick in on the Pioneers - it's been slow coming.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
slowdryrider said:
I use a front tire rim for the spare it takes up less space in the box. Now having said that because I'am running 26" Kenda Bear Claw Radials if I was to say get a flat on the rear what I would have to do is. I'd have to take a front tire off and put it on the rear where the flat is and put the spare on the front. I'd do this so that it wouldn't put excessive strain on the drive train in the rear.The front wouldn't matter that much because of the front diff not being locked.I know its a bit extra work to change them around but its a lot better then not being able to drive home or back to the trailer.

I don't think all of that is needed simply because there is constantly differing strain on each side. I.E. one rear might be in mud and the other might grab a rock. Or, snow vs. pavement etc. I get the concept and it doesn't hurt to avoid but, I think you would only have to worry if you were going to travel like that a long distance on pavement. Hope this helps. ;)

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Farmer said:
slowdryrider said:

I don't think all of that is needed simply because there is constantly differing strain on each side. I.E. one rear might be in mud and the other might grab a rock. Or, snow vs. pavement etc. I get the concept and it doesn't hurt to avoid but, I think you would only have to worry if you were going to travel like that a long distance on pavement. Hope this helps. ;)

That is why I would put both same size ones on the rear.It would depend on how far from home. Were usually miles from home and say if I did blow a tire 40 miles from home I'd probably go through the effort of installing the same size on the rear simply because we usually travel on back country gravel roads. Only pavement were on is crossing main roads.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. The decision totally lies with what the rest of they day entails. Short return trip just mount and go. Long return I would spend the time to mount the smaller dia on the front.

Yet, I also think it probably wouldn't matter that much. So honestly, I will most likely just mount and go either way...

But since it is positive traction I see how it could create extra wear that can be avoided.

Now, who wants to make me a rear swing out tire carrier for the P4?

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Had my spare off today to work on the winch, snapped a few pictures of the mount on the bumper

IMG 1732 zpszn55hd5h

IMG 1735 zpsfy9dit2k

IMG 1733 zps5lpm0c5o

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Cool! Affordable and looks sturdy too!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!