P700m4 Steering wheel adjustment

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
So I got a chance to take the pioneer out today and noticed my steering wheel wasn't centered. Any info on how to adjust it? Heres a pic of what it looks like with the wheels straight and glamour shot :)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Pop that center cover off with a small screw driver. There is a nut under it. If you remove it you can take the wheel off the shaft and re-position it as you like.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Psylas. Could you post a few pictures if/when u do it?

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
My question is why did you need to make this adjustment?..... Did you bend something? Did you hurt the rack and pinion somehow? There should be no good reason to do this on a factory machine.... Even with suspension changes to be that far off according to your pics is somewhat disturbing... What happened???

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
@Simpleman you got me worried bro. Just looked everything over and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. All is good :) I bought this machine 3 hrs from home. Took it for a quick spin at the dealer and bolted home not really looking things over. Love how quiet this thing is. The commander was so much louder.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There has been several reposts of this being off centered...

Yep, most likley made on Friday. lol

Reactions: Psylas
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new ride. I too have always loved how quiet Hondas have been overall makes for enjoyable trail riding / sightseeing. Most importantly I can hear my wife give driving instructions from the passenger seat. :D

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah don't worry about it. My steering wheel has been off center since I bought it too. After reading this I think I'll straighten it out tomorrow.

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
Yeah don't worry about it. My steering wheel has been off center since I bought it too. After reading this I think I'll straighten it out tomorrow.
It's super easy to do. Once you get the wheel off there's little grooves on the shaft and on the wheel that needs to line up. Easy to think that the wheel is on straight but may slightly be off. In the pic where it looks straight it was still off to the left a little. When I drove it I was able to fine tune it and got it straight.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
@Simpleman you got me worried bro. Just looked everything over and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. All is good :) I bought this machine 3 hrs from home. Took it for a quick spin at the dealer and bolted home not really looking things over. Love how quiet this thing is. The commander was so much louder.
Cool I'm glad you got it figured out. It's just a little unnerving when you drop 11k on a machine that's new to have things like this come up. Lot's of people have had hand tight oil plugs as well! Just check the machine over and if there is any issues I'd let the dealer know about it before the factory warranty is up. Welcome aboard the forum!

Reactions: Psylas
H

hobbes

May 4, 2015
I believe the steering wheel is removed when it is shipped. Mine was off center when i bought it. When I looked at the paint marks they were off position with each other, by two splines if my memory serves me correct. I moved the wheel back to the paint mark alignment and it was straight.

Reactions: Hondasxs
M

MOSendero

May 14, 2015
mine was not straight when I got it either.
Another issue with mine was the front toe-in was 1 3\8".
Factory specs called for -0-.
Noticed front tires wearing the outside edges off.

H

hobbes

May 4, 2015
I believe if you look at the nut, there is not paint marks on them like you see on the wheel and the shaft. No paint marks means it is a new nut that was installed after assembly. Lets say the vehicle is disassembled to some degree for shipping purposes. If the steering wheel was removed, they would provide a new nut as it is a nylon lock. I work for a Japanese company and if you see a break in the paint marks means it was altered after the fact. Just something to be aware of. Personally, I am going to do a wheel alignment myself the old fashion way and then reset the steering wheel again.

Reactions: Enigma
G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
Mine slowly became the same way, figured it was from the increased stress of the tracks but good to see it may not have been

TomG

TomG

Mar 19, 2020
Bentonville AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My question is why did you need to make this adjustment?..... Did you bend something? Did you hurt the rack and pinion somehow? There should be no good reason to do this on a factory machine.... Even with suspension changes to be that far off according to your pics is somewhat disturbing... What happened???
Mine was the same way, pretty much exactly like his, from the dealership....

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
mine was a good bit off-center also took it to the dealership 2 days after buying it and told them to fix it but it's still slightly off-center I'll probably just do it myself the next time because I'm too lazy to load it up and take it down there LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!