Sticks and floorboard

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I went on a long ride with my daughter 2 days ago and for the second time I had a stick damage me Pioneer.

Both times it has been from backing up.
The first time I was on a trail where last years tornado had the trail blocked, I backed up, heard no noises, was turned around and heading back, heard something, my daughter looks out her side and seen a branch I was dragging with us. I get out, a branch had come in from behind and punctured a boot up front.

Recently similar situation, backing up and a larger branch punctured right through beside of my leg, right where the side panel joins the inner panel under the seat. Hit my leg a little but didn't break the skin.

I just hope I can get the plastic pop rivet to go back into the original hole.

Will Dealer service folks complain about after market skid plates?
Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello @Johnny
A good set of skid plates and a-arm guards is what you need.
Some dealers complain about everything. Its like its a burden for them to do work on your machine.

Are you just talking about a oil change? If so many skids have access to the drain. But check to make sure. If you look at the [HASHTAG]#RMP[/HASHTAG] skids they actually use the factory access door. So its no different then changing oil on the OEM skid plate.

However.. If you have a issue outside of oil change that required the removal of the skid-plate I could see the dealer attaching extra charges for accessory removal.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello @Johnny
Some dealers complain about everything. Its like its a burden for them to do work on your machine.....

Service is where dealers ACTUALLY make money they complain so they can justify charging more.

Reactions: OutdoorEd
Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for the replies, yes I do need the extra protection, the style of driving I do, with me not be able to drive hard and and take the bumps and being so wooded here "in these hills", I just love the old over grown trails I used to ride way back in the day, old coal mining tram roads.

I guess I can take the skids off myself, before I take it in for servicing, then they can't say anything

I will most certainly do some reading on your recommendations.
I have done a ton of reading so far on the 700 threads, trying not to post on what others have posted on in the past.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Get a full set of UHMW skids like these: http://sssoffroad.com/detail.php?id=171692

They will protect you from the stick, slide over rocks much better than aluminum and with a 2" hole saw you can cut any hole in the material you desire for oil change grease zerk access, etc,. I do believe these from SSS offroad are already dilled out for oil changes though.

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks Jackal, I will look at this more after I get home from camping. They look good from the pics on the site, how do the arm guards connect? I'm extremely interested, but the funds right now.... It will happen hopefully soon, but I also know that I am going to need a plow before winter, not sure how much that is going to set me back lol.

I have the winch, but man those sticks on the trails are driving me nuts!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks Jackal, I will look at this more after I get home from camping. They look good from the pics on the site, how do the arm guards connect? I'm extremely interested, but the funds right now.... It will happen hopefully soon, but I also know that I am going to need a plow before winter, not sure how much that is going to set me back lol.

I have the winch, but man those sticks on the trails are driving me nuts!

Almost all A-arm guards attach with 4 half round metal clips with a tab on one end that goes over the lower A-arm tubing and a bolt and washer go through the guards screwing into the metal tabs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!