BOX1

P700 Switch Illumination

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Hi guys,

I wanted to install some new switches for some accessories. I wanted to get them to light up when I turn the headlights on. Can anyone show me how to wire this?

Thanks in advance!

John

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Typically you have to have backlit switches , whenever they are switched on with a power source they are light up along with the device they are switching on or off. Most require nothing extra as the light is built into the switch itself.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hi guys,

I wanted to install some new switches for some accessories. I wanted to get them to light up when I turn the headlights on. Can anyone show me how to wire this?

Thanks in advance!

John

Here is one of the biggest collection of customized back lit switches to power your accessories.

SWITCHES

HondaVT

HondaVT

Jun 28, 2015
Depends on the switch. We would need to see the back of it to see how it is set up. You can usually wire it to be illuminated acces on or off .

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
typicaly the two termanals on the top and bottom of the switch are for the lights. for a switched power when your lite are on you need to tap into the brown wire that goes from the light switch to the headlights. If you bought switches with LED's remember they need to be wired right (+ and -) to work. CDid you figure out how to get the wires out of the honda plugs yet?

H

hydrantman

I tapped into my headlight wire for my switches like allgm1 says if your switch has two terminals on the right of the switch top is ground and bottom goes to headlight wire. I can send you a picture of where I tapped into mine if you need.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also pulled lillumination power from my headlight switch wire.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
The switches I am getting have 2 lights. One is dependent on whether the switch is on or not, the other is independent of that. This is the one that I would like to light up when the headlights are turned on.

So what I am hearing is that I can just tap right into the brown headlight wire for power? Or do I need to run it through a relay?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
The switches I am getting have 2 lights. One is dependent on whether the switch is on or not, the other is independent of that. This is the one that I would like to light up when the headlights are turned on.

So what I am hearing is that I can just tap right into the brown headlight wire for power? Or do I need to run it through a relay?
you won't need a relay for those lights, just so you know those switches with the lights in them won't plug into the honda wiring, i'll get you some pictures today on what I did to get around that.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I think they will plug into the Honda wiring. I will have to add some wires to it for the illumination, but the Honda wire harness appears to fit the back of the switches(carling). They have 8 slots. The existing Honda plugs for the LED light bar and backup lights are currently only using 2 of the slots. Any idea how I can add wires to it for the switch illumination? What kind of connectors do I need?

I finally got my light bar mounted. What a PIA to get bolted in there.

I was looking for the brown headlight wire for a few minutes yesterday. Where is the best place to tap into this?

Attachments

• 20151002_065019_resized.jpg
    20151002_065019_resized.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 234
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
the wires may plug into the switch, but are they in the right location to make the right connections? I haven't looked in the light circuits yet,I used the wiper wiring to control my winch. Heres what I did, first I took the wires I wanted to use out of the plug, the put a small peice of heat shrink ( I used clear heat shrink) on the connector and install it on the switch.
20150922 161616 zps7p1sn4r6
For the lights in the switchs (I haven't wired them yet) I'll follow the head light wiring back towards the switch and splice into it some where easy to get to as I usually solder all my splices and I like to be able to tape them up good. You can wire them up by purchasing some of these
20151002 201522 zpsvnnlyrj7
I'll be doing all of this soon, I want to mount a limit switch under the dash for reverse lights and I plan on wiring the lights in my switches.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
They Honda wiring harnesses actually do have the 2 wires in the right places. Now I want to add wires to the connector for the illumination. What kind of connectors will I need to get to fit inside the carling connector blocks?

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I also pulled lillumination power from my headlight switch wire.

Does anyone have a picture of where they tapped into the headlight switch for illumination? From what I can tell, there is a brown and a white wire going/coming from the switch. It appears that the brown wire has power when the ignition is on. This runs to the switch, and gives the white wire power when the switch is turned on. There is a connector for these wires on the driver side under the front hood.

So, if I want to tap into it, I would need the white wire, correct? From there, they get lost in the main harness up under the front area. I also traced the wires back from the headlights. It appears that there is a brown and green wire going in the passenger side wheel well to the passenger side headlight, then over to the driver side. I could maybe use that also.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I actually wired up my lites in my switches ( along with a reverse lite sw/ wiring), I pulled power from the wiring for the headlights in the front fender well. there's a plug up by the voltage rectifier for the head lights.
6262 46a784261b79bd4edf42e023eed0477c

I took the wire loom back and spliced into the brown with white wire here
6263 f2965d7252bbb0854daa439f03e083b6

the nice part that its close to your destination, the bad part is making a worthy splice up in there. I skin back some insulation on the existing wire, then wrap my new one around it, solder and tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondasxs
C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I actually wired up my lites in my switches ( along with a reverse lite sw/ wiring), I pulled power from the wiring for the headlights in the front fender well. there's a plug up by the voltage rectifier for the head lights.
6262 46a784261b79bd4edf42e023eed0477c

I took the wire loom back and spliced into the brown with white wire here
6263 f2965d7252bbb0854daa439f03e083b6

the nice part that its close to your destination, the bad part is making a worthy splice up in there. I skin back some insulation on the existing wire, then wrap my new one around it, solder and tape.

Ok, yup, this is the wiring I was looking at that I mentioned with the brown and the green. I couldn't figure out how to open that darn connector to test for power. Not very easy to access either.

What did you use for ground? Did you make your own, or did you find an existing ground spot somewhere?

I really appreciate your help, especially with pictures.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cant remember where I pulled from. Anyways. As long as it is after the switch so it is "ON" when the light switch is "ON" will be fine.
For a ground. You should establish a common ground somewhere for all your accessories. Somewhere easy to access. I just taped the frame somewhere under the hood.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Ok, yup, this is the wiring I was looking at that I mentioned with the brown and the green. I couldn't figure out how to open that darn connector to test for power. Not very easy to access either.

What did you use for ground? Did you make your own, or did you find an existing ground spot somewhere?

I really appreciate your help, especially with pictures.
the connector has a little tab you need to push, they are a PIA
I took a ground from the same spot the heater is grounded , but like hondaxs said most anywhere on the frame is good.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!