P700 The 700 sunk today

obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
I went out to an ATV/SxS park today for the first time. We were going down some tight trails through the woods and there were small puddles everywhere. I guess from all the melted snow and ice we got last week. Well I get to one that is longer, but looks pretty shallow. I see one small ATV trail that went around it, but it was way to narrow for a SxS. So I decided to go through it. What a huge mistake! The puddle swallowed my SxS. The water came up to the bottom of the steering wheel. When I left off the gas to put it in 4 wheel lock, she cut off. I freaked out. Was so worried that I didn't even get to take a picture.

Luckily I was with a guy that had a atv with a winch. He got me about half way out, then someone else pulled me completely out. Also thank God that these guys that pulled me out knew what to do. They 1st checked the air box to make sure it was dry. They then checked the oil. They said it looked good. I was scared :( to try to start it. I turned the key and it turned over a few times and then cranked right up. Of course it blew water out the tail pipe for a few minutes. We were about 10 miles from the truck. Drove it all the way back, and it seemed to work fine. Checked the oil again and it looked good.

Is there anything I need to do now other than wash all the $h!t out of my drawers? Dang, wished I thought about taking a picture:mad:!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Check both differential oils. They are probably white. If so, it will take 3-4 changes to get them clean.

I would also check the air box myself and make sure it's clean.

Reactions: obxguy2000
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah sounds like you lucked out. You must have been right at the intake.

obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
Might be time for a snorkel!

Will snorkeling be good for insurance? Not planning on doing that crap again! I hear people saying something about vent lines. Do I need to run higher vent lines also? Any idea there does not seem that any water has gotten in my gas or oil? I have read where a guy with a 2014 got his about the same depth as mine, and his gas and oil was ruined. Has Honda made any improvements since then or was I just lucky as hell or am I going to see all kinds of issues later on?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Will snorkeling be good for insurance? Not planning on doing that crap again! I hear people saying something about vent lines. Do I need to run higher vent lines also? Any idea there does not seem that any water has gotten in my gas or oil? I have read where a guy with a 2014 got his about the same depth as mine, and his gas and oil was ruined. Has Honda made any improvements since then or was I just lucky as hell or am I going to see all kinds of issues later on?

Definitely snorkel the fuel vent and diffs. They are easy and cheap.

The intake is also relatively cheap but requires some more work.

C83b6bd5dfc090780067a5311208a927

obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
Definitely snorkel the fuel vent and diffs. They are easy and cheap.

The intake is also relatively cheap but requires some more work.

Joeymt33,
So I found the fuel and diff vents. This is probably a dumb question, but where do you recommend running them too? Just somewhere higher that the seat I assume? I seen a lot of threads talking about running them higher, but none mention where to run them.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@obxguy2000, you could try bellows. They work great for me.

1267f65d615dd2a9c20d1293e04e6658

If you choose to lengthen the OEM hose, just take it as high as you like.

Reactions: Tflynn
rockfeller

rockfeller

Jan 31, 2016
Fl
I went out to an ATV/SxS park today for the first time. We were going down some tight trails through the woods and there were small puddles everywhere. I guess from all the melted snow and ice we got last week. Well I get to one that is longer, but looks pretty shallow. I see one small ATV trail that went around it, but it was way to narrow for a SxS. So I decided to go through it. What a huge mistake! The puddle swallowed my SxS. The water came up to the bottom of the steering wheel. When I left off the gas to put it in 4 wheel lock, she cut off. I freaked out. Was so worried that I didn't even get to take a picture.

Luckily I was with a guy that had a atv with a winch. He got me about half way out, then someone else pulled me completely out. Also thank God that these guys that pulled me out knew what to do. They 1st checked the air box to make sure it was dry. They then checked the oil. They said it looked good. I was scared :( to try to start it. I turned the key and it turned over a few times and then cranked right up. Of course it blew water out the tail pipe for a few minutes. We were about 10 miles from the truck. Drove it all the way back, and it seemed to work fine. Checked the oil again and it looked good.

Is there anything I need to do now other than wash all the $h!t out of my drawers? Dang, wished I thought about taking a picture:mad:!
If you plan on running in water I would snorkel front and rear, and fan motor. Also gas tank vent is below you seat and it's open no check valve

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you plan on running in water I would snorkel front and rear, and fan motor. Also gas tank vent is below you seat and it's open no check valve

When you say snorkel the fan motor, what do you mean?

On my Forman 450 I put a manual override switch so I could turn it off in deep water. Is that what you're talking about?

Reactions: rockfeller
rockfeller

rockfeller

Jan 31, 2016
Fl
Also if you have a 2 seater you can go to a plumbing supply and they sell 2" flexible pvc made for hot tubs and it will flex enough to come between bed and seat with out coming all the way out side. It's a cleaner look.

rockfeller

rockfeller

Jan 31, 2016
Fl
When you say snorkel the fan motor, what do you mean?

On my Forman 450 I put a manual override switch so I could turn it off in deep water. Is that what you're talking about?
No it has a breather hose on it we extended them up to roll bar by windshield. Couple friends have lost fan motor in first 3 months due to water going in side motor. Advance auto sells 6 feet in a bag of 3/16 vacuum hose worked great

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for letting us know. I did not know that.

rockfeller

rockfeller

Jan 31, 2016
Fl
Thanks for letting us know. I did not know that.
No problem we have put ours to the test been in over 4 feet of water. And also have tested it out in mud. Have broke a few axels , but just up graded

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!