R

Rodger

Sep 11, 2016
Atoka ok
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 700-4

3. Big Red
I have a question. I have 2012 700 an I just changed the temp sensor. When I was finished the engine light came on. The wire was loose an got that fixed. The light now comes on for 1 second an then goes off for 4 seconds. An keeps repeating. When you rev the engine the light stays on an don't go off. What kind of code is that any help would be great

H

HondaTech

The oil light doesnt blink codes. What was the original reason for changing the temp sensor and where was the sensor located that you changed?

R

Rodger

Sep 11, 2016
Atoka ok
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 700-4

3. Big Red
The oil light doesnt blink codes. What was the original reason for changing the temp sensor and where was the sensor located that you changed?
The fan would not come on an it was running hot. I changed the fan motor an still didn't work. Called Honda dealer an he said that he would have to check sensor. I googled the sensor found the part. When I unplugged the original sensor the fan came on. Hence bad sensor. I changed it an temp light went off. Engine light came on. I unplugged wire an light started flashing 4 flashes real fast an pause an then single flash. When plugging wire in 4 flashes stopped now single flash. When engine is idled up light stays on. The sensor that I changed was the temp sensor

H

HondaTech

You said you had a 2012 700, so I'm assuming its a Big Red not a Pioneer. Neither unit has a MIL code of 4 or 14 for the PGM-F1 system. They do however have a code 4 or 14 for the Automatic trans system. The MIL blinks codes for either system. So the MIL light Is on or the temp light is on now? The system seems to be working sine unplugging the sensor makes the fan run.

R

Rodger

Sep 11, 2016
Atoka ok
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 700-4

3. Big Red
The fan would not come on an it was running hot. I changed the fan motor an still didn't work. Called Honda dealer an he said that he would have to check sensor. I googled the sensor found the part. When I unplugged the original sensor the fan came on. Hence bad sensor. I changed it an temp light went off. Engine light came on. I unplugged wire an light started flashing 4 flashes real fast an pause an then single flash. When plugging wire in 4 flashes stopped now single flash. When engine is idled up light stays on. The sensor that I changed was the temp sensor
You said you had a 2012 700, so I'm assuming its a Big Red not a Pioneer. Neither unit has a MIL code of 4 or 14 for the PGM-F1 system. They do however have a code 4 or 14 for the Automatic trans system. The MIL blinks codes for either system. So the MIL light Is on or the temp light is on now? The system seems to be working sine unplugging the sensor makes the fan run.
That is correct it is a Honda big red. the fan will not come on when it gets hot. I changed the sensor. if the sensor is unplugged the fan will come on. I have it plugged in now an it will not come on. the engine light will flash when it is setting idleing a single flash. when you run the machine and it get hot the engine light will stay on and not go off. When the machine is hot it will not shift gears. what do I need to do.

H

HondaTech

This is a weird issue, the MIL shouldn't come on in the event of a overheating engine. Im assuming the temperature light is signaling the overheating, correct? It almost sounds to me like you have another issue, maybe internally (water pump or clogged oil cooler), without the MIL blinking a code its hard to know what may be cause for its issue. Probably need to let someone check the codes and see what is causing the MIL to blink, because I think that is unrelated issue that needs to be addressed as well. Hard to diagnose these things over the internet, there is a lot going on here to not have it in front of me.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
It really is weird.

So let me understand.
You disconnected the sensor and the fan came on.
You installed a new sensor and get the fan will not run.
I assume if you disconnect the sensor the fan will come back on.
The first code you got was 4 flashes pause 1 flash (41?)
Now you just get a single flash every 4 seconds or so.
But if you rev the engine, the light will stay on.
When the engine gets hot, the light stays on but doesn't start the fan.

Is all that correct?

BTW: my knee jerk reaction is to reset everything. Starting by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds. I don't know how a Big Red can be cleared of codes.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
I'm Wondering if you could have a grounding issue maybe grounding the sensor out or not enough ground to the sensor it's really hard to track down electrical stuff but if u need a quick easy fix for now put u a toggle switch on the fan so u can turn it on and off as needed

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!