P1000 Well NOW what is out of adjustment?! >:(

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, I just got back from taking my Pioneer, that has less than 150 miles mind you, used chiefly in my yard and on woods trails on my farm and hauled dogs and some sticks on a trip around the yard. Never done anything like you guys do on Bull Run.

I stopped on the bottom corner of the hill facing downhill around 45 Degrees (with 90 being 100% side hill and 0 being facing downhill), put it in park, got out and picked up all the sticks that have blown out of the trees and put them in the bed.

Got back in and went to shift back into low and I get "-" instead of an L....

I wiggle the shifter up and down and back up to H, I can get it in H but back to L and I get the bar again and a grinding/clacking noise instead.

So I put it back in Park again, shift to Neutral, let it move a little bit and get closer to 90 degrees and apply brakes and I get it to go into Low range.

So what has gotten of adjustment this time?

For something that has unfortunately spent the majority of it's life to this point sitting in my damn garage, there sure seems to be a lot of things that can't seem to stay properly adjusted. I guess it is a good thing that I can't really ride it a bunch right now.:confused:

I am going to the Can Am dealership after Physical Therapy tomorrow and talk about a trade on a 2016/17 Defender...:mad:

It may be an over reaction but I am getting really, really annoyed at having to wrench on something that I never actually use.:rolleyes:

Reactions: utvmi
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Crow hunter have you checked the cable adjustments in the box under the rear floor board? The nuts on mine are easily turned by hand and there is really isn't much tension on the cables and I think the vibration loosens the nuts. I plan on picking up nuts to use as jamb nuts to stop the vibration from loosening the adjusters. We shouldn't have to do it but sometimes we have to do what we can to eliminate a problem.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Crow hunter have you checked the cable adjustments in the box under the rear floor board? The nuts on mine are easily turned by hand and there is really isn't much tension on the cables and I think the vibration loosens the nuts. I plan on picking up nuts to use as jamb nuts to stop the vibration from loosening the adjusters. We shouldn't have to do it but sometimes we have to do what we can to eliminate a problem.

I have actually adjusted those 3 separate occasions myself for the turf/2WD adjustment since they seem to stretch just sitting in the garage. (This was after the dealer completely screwed up the adjustment)

I have not adjusted the front though.

Maybe my adjusting the Turf/2WD has gotten the drive select shift out of adjustment.

Who knows...

I tried it again and haven't been able to recreate it.

I am still going to talk to the Can Am dealer about trading tomorrow. Unless he is going to do an even trade (or very close), I won't be doing anything for a while. If my shoulder doesn't cooperate I will have to have surgery and I will be off work for a while and won't have the money (and won't be able to ride anyway).

Reactions: pct
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, it sounds like you need to get a can am ( you didn't mention any other brand so I guess you did your homework already) I will give you a offer on yours after you get a trade in value , so I can have 2 dependable sxs.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I just got back from taking my Pioneer, that has less than 150 miles mind you, used chiefly in my yard and on woods trails on my farm and hauled dogs and some sticks on a trip around the yard. Never done anything like you guys do on Bull Run.

I stopped on the bottom corner of the hill facing downhill around 45 Degrees (with 90 being 100% side hill and 0 being facing downhill), put it in park, got out and picked up all the sticks that have blown out of the trees and put them in the bed.

Got back in and went to shift back into low and I get "-" instead of an L....

I wiggle the shifter up and down and back up to H, I can get it in H but back to L and I get the bar again and a grinding/clacking noise instead.

So I put it back in Park again, shift to Neutral, let it move a little bit and get closer to 90 degrees and apply brakes and I get it to go into Low range.

So what has gotten of adjustment this time?

For something that has unfortunately spent the majority of it's life to this point sitting in my damn garage, there sure seems to be a lot of things that can't seem to stay properly adjusted. I guess it is a good thing that I can't really ride it a bunch right now.:confused:

I am going to the Can Am dealership after Physical Therapy tomorrow and talk about a trade on a 2016/17 Defender...:mad:

It may be an over reaction but I am getting really, really annoyed at having to wrench on something that I never actually use.:rolleyes:
Maybe if you'd get it out of the yard and give it a proper break in it wouldn't give you fits

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will definitely post it here for sale once I know what I am looking at price wise on the Defender for a reasonable cost. Assuming my wife doesn't shoot the idea down. She really likes the Pioneer and the 5 seats.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wasn't trying to be a d-bag..guess it came out that way..but I have a little over 800 miles on mine. After a recent trip to bull run my rig seems to shift smoother,and slide in and out of all 4 modes flawlessly. I had problems with my 4wd shifter to begin with also

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wasn't trying to be a d-bag..guess it came out that way..but I have a little over 800 miles on mine. After a recent trip to bull run my rig seems to shift smoother,and slide in and out of all 4 modes flawlessly. I had problems with my 4wd shifter to begin with also
I noticed that the first time I went to bull run. After I got back the rig was broken in, from the various terrain and speeds. Now it's perfect!

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Maybe, or maybe it would be worse.

My wife thinks that there is something wrong with it from the factory since it is constantly having to be adjusted and wants to pursue a warranty claim.

Of course, that would be with the same service group that couldn't figure out how to read the manual and adjust the mode selector correct originally.

She supports me getting something that I want rather than something that I hate, but she also doesn't want to lose a whole bunch of money on the deal either.

We will see what they offer and what I might be able to sell it for.

Honestly if I could get out of it for $2,000 - $3,000 I will probably do it.

But, I need to wait for a couple of weeks anyway to see if I am going to need a nerve graft or not and the requisite 6 months+ on disability or not.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the sound of it you were parked on an incline? nothing shifts well coming out of that it's binding the trans. even a pickup truck you have to jam the shifter. even the belt drives will do the same thing . just needed to be rocked to shift it. like a manual atv when it's stuck in the mud and stalls. gotta be rocked.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
By
From the sound of it you were parked on an incline? nothing shifts well coming out of that it's binding the trans. even a pickup truck you have to jam the shifter. even the belt drives will do the same thing . just needed to be rocked to shift it. like a manual atv when it's stuck in the mud and stalls. gotta be rocked.

Yes. I was on a pretty steep incline, pointing downhill at an angle.

I just wonder why it would go into High range but wouldn't go into Low.

I have had it throw up the "-" a couple of times on flat ground but I figured it was just because I didn't get it shifted into gear good and would wiggle the shifter and go back to the gear and it would clear up.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By

Yes. I was on a pretty steep incline, pointing downhill at an angle.

I just wonder why it would go into High range but wouldn't go into Low.

I have had it throw up the "-" a couple of times on flat ground but I figured it was just because I didn't get it shifted into gear good and would wiggle the shifter and go back to the gear and it would clear up.
I'm sure once you got it on flat ground it would go in. all my atvs would do that too. Polaris , arctic cat , can am. I was so pissed at my can am when I got stuck in a snow bank I almost ripped the shifter off. I did bend it. when I kicked the mother.... it's just the binding. But I will say my brothers brute force would shift perfect in any situation .

Reactions: JTW and Crow_Hunter
J

JTW

That's why I ordered a line lock!

Reactions: Plumber32
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Make sure your shift cable adjuster nuts are tight and its adjusted ok. Mine was slightly off, not centered at the neutral notch. I pulled the battery and the access plate under the battery to get at the cable adjustment in the dash. If this is your problem its an easy fix. The only benefit with a Ranger or Defender is they can be driven at 1 mph without slipping the belt. The cab may have a better fit. The Defender has a long break in for the first check. Something like 200 hours or 1,800 miles and it may have a 3 year warranty. I think the air filter intake is under the bed and the belt drive intake may be in a bad location.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hope that you can get it straightened out but more miles will help and if you try to trade get ready to take a beating on your pioneer
they won't want to give near what it is worth. Put some miles on it first you will be surprised on the difference
Good Luck, Paul

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!