QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
By

Yes. I was on a pretty steep incline, pointing downhill at an angle.

I just wonder why it would go into High range but wouldn't go into Low.

I have had it throw up the "-" a couple of times on flat ground but I figured it was just because I didn't get it shifted into gear good and would wiggle the shifter and go back to the gear and it would clear up.
I know even on my manual tranny tractor sometimes it won't go into a particular gear when I'm stopped because the mesh isn't correct. Like say it wont go into second without grinding so I put it in fourth or reverse to get it closer, then back to 2nd, the gear I wanted. Even manual vehicles I've had I remember doing this sometimes.

Even my manual tranny quads and bikes I would have to wiggle the machine to sometimes get it to shift from a stopped position. It is a bummer your having so many issues with a new machine it would piss my off as well.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, I'm back from the Can Am dealership.

I looked the Defender over again and even now, when I think I want one, it is obviously not put together as sturdily as the Pioneer. I don't like the XT winch either, I prefer the Warn that my Honda has. Their "full skid plates" are plastic, not thick UHMW but thinner plastic than what Honda has as a factory "skid plate".

It does have a more comfortable seat, and it does have more storage but it doesn't have the shoulder room that the Pioneer does because of shoulder bolsters which I picked up on very quickly since I am very particular with my left shoulder now. :(

The air intake for the CVT is right there behind the driver (with some Frogskin on it) and the air intake for the engine is right behind the passenger entry a little lower than the top edge of the bed and it looks like the transmission vents are zip tied to the intake as well. I like that it has a downturn and it actually has a drain on the dirty air side of the air cleaner. It actually looks very similar to the one that I designed for the 1998 Dodge Viper way back when. It is higher than the stock Honda but to @hondabob's point it is drawing in from a very dirty air position. So I don't like that at all. I figure for my driving dusty/dirty air is more of a danger than sucking in water, especially if I put a mini-snorkel on it.

Even after looking at everything and losing my enthusiasm somewhat, I went in and talked to them about trading.

To make a long story, longer, to get a 2016 Defender HD10XT with bumper it would cost me right at $4,000 with tax.:rolleyes:

So, no way that is going to happen. I can fix A LOT on my Pioneer that doesn't happen to be covered by the 5 years worth of warranty for that type of cash. Plus I would give up the very nice doors that I like that come in very handy on some of my briar infested trails on the farm and I lose the back seats which means my wife won't go with me if my brother goes too. She says she would go deaf sitting between us yelling at each other. :)

I came home and drove my Pioneer around some more and I tried6 or 7 times and I couldn't recreate the issue, so it must have just gotten in a bind. That is the first time it has done that other than sometimes not hitting Neutral when I want it to.

So I guess I will stick around and be a thorn in everyone's side after all.:D

So for those hoping to be rid of me:

:p

Reactions: pct and LandPioneer
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Well, I'm back from the Can Am dealership.

I looked the Defender over again and even now, when I think I want one, it is obviously not put together as sturdily as the Pioneer. I don't like the XT winch either, I prefer the Warn that my Honda has. Their "full skid plates" are plastic, not thick UHMW but thinner plastic than what Honda has as a factory "skid plate".

It does have a more comfortable seat, and it does have more storage but it doesn't have the shoulder room that the Pioneer does because of shoulder bolsters which I picked up on very quickly since I am very particular with my left shoulder now. :(

The air intake for the CVT is right there behind the driver (with some Frogskin on it) and the air intake for the engine is right behind the passenger entry a little lower than the top edge of the bed and it looks like the transmission vents are zip tied to the intake as well. I like that it has a downturn and it actually has a drain on the dirty air side of the air cleaner. It actually looks very similar to the one that I designed for the 1998 Dodge Viper way back when. It is higher than the stock Honda but to @hondabob's point it is drawing in from a very dirty air position. So I don't like that at all. I figure for my driving dusty/dirty air is more of a danger than sucking in water, especially if I put a mini-snorkel on it.

Even after looking at everything and losing my enthusiasm somewhat, I went in and talked to them about trading.

To make a long story, longer, to get a 2016 Defender HD10XT with bumper it would cost me right at $4,000 with tax.:rolleyes:

So, no way that is going to happen. I can fix A LOT on my Pioneer that doesn't happen to be covered by the 5 years worth of warranty for that type of cash. Plus I would give up the very nice doors that I like that come in very handy on some of my briar infested trails on the farm and I lose the back seats which means my wife won't go with me if my brother goes too. She says she would go deaf sitting between us yelling at each other. :)

I came home and drove my Pioneer around some more and I tried6 or 7 times and I couldn't recreate the issue, so it must have just gotten in a bind. That is the first time it has done that other than sometimes not hitting Neutral when I want it to.

So I guess I will stick around and be a thorn in everyone's side after all.:D

So for those hoping to be rid of me:

:p
see you coming around to your senses, frustration makes a man think crazy thoughts. LOL

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lol.. does this mean you'll quit b****ing about it?

I doubt it.

I only gripe about the things that don't live up to my expectation. Right now, my Pioneer 1000 hasn't lived up to the expectation that I had going into it from owning my 07 Rincon and 08 Recon.

I never griped about them. There were things about them that I didn't like and one of the reasons I didn't get a P700 even though over I was pleased with my Rincon.

I don't think that I got $20k worth of value out of the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. If I had paid $11k for it, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.

I paid more for this machine than I paid for my last car. I have had WAY fewer issues with my last car with 130k miles on it instead of 130 miles.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I doubt it.

I only gripe about the things that don't live up to my expectation. Right now, my Pioneer 1000 hasn't lived up to the expectation that I had going into it from owning my 07 Rincon and 08 Recon.

I never griped about them. There were things about them that I didn't like and one of the reasons I didn't get a P700 even though over I was pleased with my Rincon.

I don't think that I got $20k worth of value out of the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. If I had paid $11k for it, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.

I paid more for this machine than I paid for my last car. I have had WAY fewer issues with my last car with 130k miles on it instead of 130 miles.
I just hope I don't have as much trouble as you.. that sucks! If I had that much trouble I would have probably taken the hit and gotten the CanAm.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
see you coming around to your senses, frustration makes a man think crazy thoughts. LOL

Unfortunately it is more of a 2016 election kind of thing.

I don't particularly like Trump (Pioneer) but it looks like the Hillary (Defender) wouldn't be any better but there would be things I would miss like the 2nd Amendment (extra seats) and lower taxes (doors).

I can deal with it for the next four years until the next election (Extended warranty) then hopefully the Republicans can give us a good Libertarian candidate (Maybe my dream machine will be available from Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki)

:D

Reactions: QuadMan747
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just hope I don't have as much trouble as you.. that sucks! If I had that much trouble I would have probably taken the hit and gotten the CanAm.

I hope you don't either. I like the looks, the feeling, the size, the power, the noise level, and the ride of the Pioneer. It just is annoying as crap to have something you have to fiddle with/stops working every time you drive it. It reminds me of my Dad's 1970 SS Chevelle. Fun to drive but always something in need of fixing.

That is why I bought a Honda instead of a Poolaris, so I didn't have to work on it all the time.:D

Reactions: QuadMan747 and JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
s*** I hope I don't have as many problems as Crow has! I guess I feel lucky it's only been one motor for water and clutches but it's been hella fun. That reminds me I need to get out and beat up on it some more this weekend!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You really need to go on a long trail ride with some company . break it in and stretch it's legs. have some fun with it . you'll have a new perspective on the machine.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
His situation is like dating a really hot chick and worried about being a gentleman all the time. when really you need to get her drunk take her dancing and grab her by the ☆

J

JTW

His situation is like dating a really hot chick and worried about being a gentleman all the time. when really you need to get her drunk take her dancing and grab her by the ☆
Oh god.. bhahahaha!! I've got the perfect shirt we need! I'll send it in a pm!

Reactions: Plumber32
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly! What are you saving her for, her next husband? Wear that sh... Out! As far as your problems crow, I drive a 165,000 dollar truck for a living day in and out. Guess what, the closet door rattles, it refuses to go into first on a steep hill unless I roll back 3 inches, and sometimes hits second so hard I have to use my back scratcher to get my hat from the passenger side of the dash. Nothing, is perfect, nothing. I agree though with the above consensus, take that thing out and whip it's ass for 3 or 400 miles. Then you'll be eating crow ( pun intended) on your pioneers lack of manners.

J

JTW

Exactly! What are you saving her for, her next husband? Wear that sh... Out! As far as your problems crow, I drive a 165,000 dollar truck for a living day in and out. Guess what, the closet door rattles, it refuses to go into first on a steep hill unless I roll back 3 inches, and sometimes hits second so hard I have to use my back scratcher to get my hat from the passenger side of the dash. Nothing, is perfect, nothing. I agree though with the above consensus, take that thing out and whip it's ass for 3 or 400 miles. Then you'll be eating crow ( pun intended) on your pioneers lack of manners.
Lmao.. that was pretty good!

Reactions: dotman1
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys.

I realize I am nitpicky. I can't help it. It's my nature.

I have taken it for a 45 mile or so ride one time. That is when it first got out of adjustment on the mode selector. :)

It just aggravates me that I paid so much and it isn't what I was expecting. I was really expecting the equivalent of my 07 Rincon in my SXS. Put gas in it and go.

I had it for nearly 10 years and never did anything to it but change the oil. Same thing on my wife's Recon. So I really had high expectations from the Pioneer.

I am dearly hoping that after my appointment on the 15th I get good news and will be able to actually go for a real ride. Hopefully my wife and I will be able to make a run up to Turkey Bay and spend the day.

Then maybe I can come back and say that mine is perfect.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These things love abuse (well at least mine seems to). Stop playing on smooth roads with it and take it into some rough stuff. You will be so amazed at how well it eats that crap up, you'll forget about nitpicking the minor stuff. Mine would have a heart attack if I drove it nice lol

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I hope you don't either. I like the looks, the feeling, the size, the power, the noise level, and the ride of the Pioneer. It just is annoying as crap to have something you have to fiddle with/stops working every time you drive it. It reminds me of my Dad's 1970 SS Chevelle. Fun to drive but always something in need of fixing.

That is why I bought a Honda instead of a Poolaris, so I didn't have to work on it all the time.:D

My car disagrees with you, I have had less trouble out of it than most new fangled cars with electronics everywhere.

IMG 4356

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!