P1000 Wolf Pen Gap

F

fouled21

Oct 26, 2023
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I'm looking at making a trip up to the Wolf Pen Gap trails for a ride. I've got a couple of questions if you could help me out. I've got some pieces of info from the search bar, but not the exact info I was looking for.

First, what do I need in the way of permits to ride the trails in Arkansas? Online is very vague with this and only says Arkansas residents have to have registered their OHV's. Does my local registration from my state work for this?

Second, what is the difficulty of the trails there? My 1000-5 is pretty much stock, just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. From what I've read here, the trails are pretty tame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Currently there are no permit requirements for Arkansas. Wolf Pen Gap itself is a well groomed trail system and you will have absolutely no problems in a stock pioneer other than the short trail up to Hawks Overlook from Trail 6. In fact, they close WPG if it rains too much to prevent any damage to the trails. The surrounding area is mostly gravel roads with a few trail climbs up to overlooks like Eagle Mountain and Bee Mountain.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey guys, I'm looking at making a trip up to the Wolf Pen Gap trails for a ride. I've got a couple of questions if you could help me out. I've got some pieces of info from the search bar, but not the exact info I was looking for.

First, what do I need in the way of permits to ride the trails in Arkansas? Online is very vague with this and only says Arkansas residents have to have registered their OHV's. Does my local registration from my state work for this?

Second, what is the difficulty of the trails there? My 1000-5 is pretty much stock, just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. From what I've read here, the trails are pretty tame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I know you should upgrade the G-String skid plate ASAP to a full before you go fo sho!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That is definitely on my list, which is why I was asking about trail conditions. Think I need the Trail Armor skids before taking to the trails here?
Sounds like from the other post your on gravel roads👎🏻 then no!
Anything else, yes. Good insurance. I have the SuperATV ones on both rigs for a long time and they have held up nicely to beating they go through.
Pm @Hondasxs and he can help get u a good price

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Come to Mayhem on the Mountain later this year. I’ll put up the info and RSVP after TO. You’ll love it

Reactions: Red500 and EMAW
K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Loved my Trail Armor plates on my Pioneer. Loved them so much I got them on my Talon.

Reactions: Backwoods
F

fouled21

Oct 26, 2023
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like from the other post your on gravel roads👎🏻 then no!
Anything else, yes. Good insurance. I have the SuperATV ones on both rigs for a long time and they have held up nicely to beating they go through.
Pm @Hondasxs and he can help get u a good price
Sounds like a good idea. Any real difference between the SuperATV ones and the Trail Armor? Looks like both are 1/2"

Reactions: Remington
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sounds like a good idea. Any real difference between the SuperATV ones and the Trail Armor? Looks like both are 1/2"
Just personal preference really. With the SATV if u pm @Hondasxs he can hook u up with a deal

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just personal preference really. With the SATV if u pm @Hondasxs he can hook u up with a deal
For models 2016-2021. I recomend SuperATV.
For newer, the SuperATV skid needs a refresh.
While it fits, the issue is you are putting 2 dozen self-tapping screws right beside a bolt hole as @JACKAL pointed out.
I can't say if TrailArmor is any different, to be honest.
I installed trailer armor on most of my machines.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Based upon the above post where I installed the Super ATV skid on my 2024 Pioneer 1000, there was a lot of unnecessary drilling from not utilizing updated OEM bolt locations. Still it appears to be a good skid plate, just a lot of unnecessary work to install on the newer Pioneer 1000's See here for details and pictures explaining:

That said the only good skid plate made for the updated Pioneer 1000's (2022-current) are from Factory UTV, their Ultimate skid kit includes all four A-Arm guards which I bought from them as no one else offered the updated guards that I could find. It's pricey but I bought 3 Factory UTV skids in the past and would do so again if I had it to do over. Note for only the skid plate the FUTV 1/2" skid is $168 more than SuperATV skid, but FUTV skid is 3 less pieces and a lot less drilling into the frame, you get what you pay for.

FUTV Pioneer Skids

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
You can go stock at Wolfpen. Trails have been greatly tamed since we started going up there in 1998. Only a small part of trails still rugged. Trail 3 is our favorite.

If you will be there for a couple days then you need to go to Fourche Mountain. You can ride there from Mena area cabins. It's about 24 miles on county roads but well worth the trip. Fourche is much more rugged than Wolfpen. There are some rocky sections but still you can survive in stock trim.

Make the ride east from Wolfpen and go to Little Missouri Falls. It's a nice place for a picnic lunch.

Be sure and get a ouchita ATV club map there. Good POIs and the road route to Fourche.

Attachments

• Fourche Mountain trails.pdf
    363.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Wofpen map 2021.pdf
    290.3 KB · Views: 10
F

fouled21

Oct 26, 2023
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Based upon the above post where I installed the Super ATV skid on my 2024 Pioneer 1000, there was a lot of unnecessary drilling from not utilizing updated OEM bolt locations. Still it appears to be a good skid plate, just a lot of unnecessary work to install on the newer Pioneer 1000's See here for details and pictures explaining:

That said the only good skid plate made for the updated Pioneer 1000's (2022-current) are from Factory UTV, their Ultimate skid kit includes all four A-Arm guards which I bought from them as no one else offered the updated guards that I could find. It's pricey but I bought 3 Factory UTV skids in the past and would do so again if I had it to do over. Note for only the skid plate the FUTV 1/2" skid is $168 more than SuperATV skid, but FUTV skid is 3 less pieces and a lot less drilling into the frame, you get what you pay for.

View attachment 429114
Lord, I didn't realize there was another option here. Y'all sure are good and spending other people's money...

F

fouled21

Oct 26, 2023
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can go stock at Wolfpen. Trails have been greatly tamed since we started going up there in 1998. Only a small part of trails still rugged. Trail 3 is our favorite.

If you will be there for a couple days then you need to go to Fourche Mountain. You can ride there from Mena area cabins. It's about 24 miles on county roads but well worth the trip. Fourche is much more rugged than Wolfpen. There are some rocky sections but still you can survive in stock trim.

Make the ride east from Wolfpen and go to Little Missouri Falls. It's a nice place for a picnic lunch.

Be sure and get a ouchita ATV club map there. Good POIs and the road route to Fourche.

Awesome info. We'll try to check those out. Thanks!

Reactions: BBB and Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Lord, I didn't realize there was another option here. Y'all sure are good and spending other people's money...
Oh we excel in that! Its written in the fine print 2nd to last sentence when you joined. Etc. Etc. Etc…….
Your stuck now😂
IMG 1473

F

fouled21

Oct 26, 2023
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh we excel in that! Its written in the fine print 2nd to last sentence when you joined. Etc. Etc. Etc…….
Your stuck now😂
View attachment 429134
Ooof. I need better glasses!

Bank account says ouch. Ordered and received the SuperATV skids, and the spare tire carrier. Gonna take the time to rivnut the self-tapping locations for a cleaner install. Got access to a lift to make that easier.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!