BOX1

09 big red divouring oil

C

chad1971

Jul 6, 2014
hi im new here hows everyone I have a 2009 big red and Honda has already rebuilt the engine twice and the first time it only lasted about 6 months then went to smoking a lot and using a lot of oil, so they rebuilt it again, this time it lasted 4 months and its doing the same thing? both times I had to pay for it cause they wouldn't stand behind it? it will empty the crankcase in bout 4 hrs of running? ya its a lot?compression is great and it starts idels and runs out awesome? just smokes like a coal train? everybody think its valve guides or seals? that's where im at? I was hoping there was a pcv system that was plugged or sumthing but Im not that lucky. can a guy put any kind of additive in the oil like lucas or anything since the crankcase oil and tranny are the same? or would it mess up the tranny? thanks so much in advance

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Additives aren't good with wet clutch unless they're designed for it. Slick50 is a BAD idea.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
wonder if they are putting the rings in correctly wonder what kind of shape the bore is in if the valves were leaking that much oil by it would be running sluggish doesnt sound like they are doing a good job with the rebuilds

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
No additives.
Seems obvious "they" don't know what they are doing.

V

Varmit

Jul 4, 2014
contact Honda directly and tell them their dealer is screwing up

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No idea, doesn't seem possible that you could rebuild something so poorly multiple times and get the same result. But these days anything is possible I guess, still stay away from additives unless they are specifically designed by the machine manufacturer for their wet clutch. Lucas or Slick50 maybe great for a car/truck but a wet clutch is a different animal.

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
Is it smoking out of the tailpipe? see my other post from tonight about losing oil out of the cam chain tensioner lifter on left side of engine. Mine was using appx. an ounce every two miles but I believe it varied by the RPM. I would think it may be something odd, Honda engines are better than that so look for the odd an obvious. I suggest taking all the cowling off in front of the seat and around the engine so you can really see what is going on if the engine is not 100% clean.

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
Similar issue with a friends big red... He has not had any engine work done yet.. It doesn't smoke but it uses a lot of oil. More when in an idol or low rpm condition than when your powering around climbing... Would I be making an ass of u &me to assume rings? He wasn't the best at keeping It cleaner clean. Its a farm rig.. It is high hours and miles. What would be suggested course of action to diagnosing this problem short of tear down and inspection?

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
We have a big red at work. Just got it back because of the same thing just eating oil like crazy. It was bad rings in our case.