P1000 1000-5 Engine Rattling?

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I purchased a new 1000-5 Deluxe about three weeks ago and since day one it’s had a little engine rattle behind the seat. Or at least it sounds like it’s coming from behind the seat. It has around 125 miles on it and I just did the first service last weekend. I took the skid plate off when I changed the oil and looked, listened and felt for anything that might be loose but had no luck. When you rev the engine the noise stays the same as when it’s idling. It sounds just like a washer underneath a bolt that’s not fully tightened rattling. It does it as soon as you start the engine. Has anyone had any similar noises like this? I’m hoping it’s something loose like a bolt or shield instead of something in the engine. I bought the extended 4 year warranty but I don’t really want to take to the dealer unless I just have to. I can’t tell there’s any performance issues but it’s just really annoying. As new as this thing is and how much it cost it should purr like a kitten not rattle like a tin can.

Reactions: Isaiah
RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would give everything a good look over. I dropped a screwdriver down the intake tube when I was installing my dual battery setup and had the prefilter off. I had to take the seat off and undo the connection at the bottom to retrieve my screwdriver. When I did, I found both of the coolant pipe clamps going from the engine to the radiator under the seat had slid off of the hoses and just hanging by the pipes. They were never tightened from day 1. It never leaked but I had been out with it a couple of times like that and never would have known. Hope you find out what it is

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Thanks! I’m hoping I get lucky and find something like that. I’m planning on taking the underseat rubbers off and the panels off behind the seat and thoroughly going over it. If I can’t find anything I guess I’ll take it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Will do, that would be nice if that was it!

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had same kind of rattle there was a bolt stuck behind drivers seat. around where bed latches, no idea where it went didnt look like it had been threaded into anything. I also had heat shield rattle under the bed on exhaust.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I hope it’s something simple but I usually don’t get that lucky

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Well, I believe I finally found my problem. I looked all over for anything and everything that I thought could be loose but no luck until now. Crossing my fingers this is it, but time will tell. It seems to be the heat shield coming from the engine (pointing at it with pvc pipe in the pic below) but just before passing between the rear shocks. I started it up first thing this morning and started feeling around before everything got hot and when I applied pressure to this shield it stopped. So I tweaked on it a little and so far so good. Hoping this fixed it because there’s nothing more aggravating than having something brand new with annoying squeaks and rattles! Thanks for everyone’s input and hope this helps someone down the road.
7c1ea1212b73bcbb9a81490f159fb515

J

JTW

Well, I believe I finally found my problem. I looked all over for anything and everything that I thought could be loose but no luck until now. Crossing my fingers this is it, but time will tell. It seems to be the heat shield coming from the engine (pointing at it with pvc pipe in the pic below) but just before passing between the rear shocks. I started it up first thing this morning and started feeling around before everything got hot and when I applied pressure to this shield it stopped. So I tweaked on it a little and so far so good. Hoping this fixed it because there’s nothing more aggravating than having something brand new with annoying squeaks and rattles! Thanks for everyone’s input and hope this helps someone down the road.
View attachment 239476

Lol.. You better get use to squeaks and rattles on the pioneer!

V

Vstingray

Dec 1, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I purchased a new 1000-5 Deluxe about three weeks ago and since day one it’s had a little engine rattle behind the seat. Or at least it sounds like it’s coming from behind the seat. It has around 125 miles on it and I just did the first service last weekend. I took the skid plate off when I changed the oil and looked, listened and felt for anything that might be loose but had no luck. When you rev the engine the noise stays the same as when it’s idling. It sounds just like a washer underneath a bolt that’s not fully tightened rattling. It does it as soon as you start the engine. Has anyone had any similar noises like this? I’m hoping it’s something loose like a bolt or shield instead of something in the engine. I bought the extended 4 year warranty but I don’t really want to take to the dealer unless I just have to. I can’t tell there’s any performance issues but it’s just really annoying. As new as this thing is and how much it cost it should purr like a kitten not rattle like a tin can.
My 700 sounded the same. I pulled the tail ends of the hose clamps away from the clamp itself on all of the exhaust hose clamps. No more rattle.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I had my hopes up that me tweaking on the heat shield on the exhaust fixed my rattling noise but it didn’t, although I believe it was part of it.

Yesterday’s rain put me in the garage so I started stripping panels and covers off looking for this noise. I did find a heat shield missing a bolt that was rattling against the frame but I fixed that and the noise was still there.

I purchased this rig on 10/31/20 and just did the 20hr/100 mile service a couple weeks ago. I got to looking in the owner’s manual of the other items that needed to be checked and came across the sub transmission oil level. I forgot to check this when i did the service a couple of weeks ago so I thought what the heck, maybe the factory or dealer forgot to put oil in it. I don’t know who’s responsible for this but I figure the factory fills this with fluid before it leaves the plant and the dealer should check the level before it leaves their store.

Low and behold guess what I found? The oil level was about 3/16”-1/4” above the full mark on the dipstick without screwing it in! Instead of loosening the drain plug I got a syringe and pulled the oil out until I got to the proper level. Best I can tell it was about 12-13 ounces or 0.39 quarts to full.

I started the engine up and drove it and it seems as if the noise is gone? It drives and shifts fine best I can tell. Has anyone had problems like this before? Do you think running it this full has damaged the sub trans? I’m about to the point of taking it back to the dealer and making them check it out like they were supposed to before it left their lot.

In my research yesterday I found about 4 push pins missing around the fuel cap and under the drivers seat along with the bolt missing on my heat shield.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!