P1000 1000-5 Will not go back in Turf Mode ?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
4 years later, 0860silverado i’ve been scouring the web to find that simple fact that you knew. Which direction locks it, and which direction unlocks it.
Have you ever thought about starting a YouTube channel?
Knowing this, I loosened the tension almost all the way out, And still, incrementally the diff goes in and out of two wheel lock in the rear. Could it be a stretched cable? Could the connection over the differential be out of alignment? Do you know of any possibilities? Regardless, thanks again for enlightening all of us.
When you say "goes in and out of two wheel lock", are you referring to what the dash indicates? Or are you noticing the physical locking of the rear? If there is no tension on the cable exiting the rear of the box and the rear diff actually comes out of locked condition, you likely have something wrong inside your differential gear case.

Reactions: Lady01
Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for your reply.
I do the linkage calibration per the service manual. After fine-tuning it, I get it to go into a two-wheel lock(with the left rear tire off the ground), and then move it to "Turf", and it "unlocks". All is well, as long as the left rear tire is off the ground.

I'm feeling, "Yes!, I got it". I lower it off the jack, back it out of the Garage, drive it down the road, and try to put it back into two wheel lock. Then "nothing". It feels like it's trying to go into 2 wheel lock, but never makes it on the LED(Dash). I can feel the STI XComp 30's trying to drag across the asphalt like it is in 2 lock, but it will not go into 2 wheel on the dash, or I4 wheel.
Thanks again for all you do for the group.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you for your reply.
I do the linkage calibration per the service manual. After fine-tuning it, I get it to go into a two-wheel lock(with the left rear tire off the ground), and then move it to "Turf", and it "unlocks". All is well, as long as the left rear tire is off the ground.

I'm feeling, "Yes!, I got it". I lower it off the jack, back it out of the Garage, drive it down the road, and try to put it back into two wheel lock. Then "nothing". It feels like it's trying to go into 2 wheel lock, but never makes it on the LED(Dash). I can feel the STI XComp 30's trying to drag across the asphalt like it is in 2 lock, but it will not go into 2 wheel on the dash, or I4 wheel.
Thanks again for all you do for the group.
Sounds like you have your cables adjusted correctly but have an issue somewhere in your position sensor circuit. I don't have the I4 wheel drive system so... I can't help you there. Sorry:confused:. Keep us updated and good luck!

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll be looking forward to it. The dash indicator on my ‘16 quit as soon as the warranty was up. I’ve tried messing with it a few times but no luck. Shifter does what it’s supposed to do, it just doesn’t show up on the dash.

Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, so I don’t know if this is the final answer, but it’s my final answer for now. I’m no motorcycle mechanic, just a knuckle head with a set of wrenches.
I read somewhere on a post, what seem to be a fairly confident comment, that said oil pressure affected the operation of the transmission in a Honda pioneer 1000. He said he had a friend that did some puddle hopping and got some water in his oil. When he changed the oil, that improve the oil pressure and his transmission problems went away.
So Thursday I bought an oil change kit off of Amazon and some Lucas synthetic gear oil for the rear diff. Changed all fluids, with the exception of the front diff.
I changed all fluids on Saturday
I live on a hill, so my gear change test is; full stop, setting two wheel drive mode, and then driving up the hill to see if it will go into two wheel lock. Historically, it would never go into two wheel lock.
This time, halfway up the hill, bada bing, it went right into two wheel lock. Not believing it, I took it back out of two wheel lock, did some more driving around the neighborhood. Every time I went back to two wheel lock, it would work after about 50 yards. Obviously an improvement.
I have been in puddles at ride royal blue, where water runs under the door.
Feeling good about it now, I’ll repost again, if it gets worse or better.

Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so I was wrong. Albeit a little deceived. It did shift properly but only for about 2 miles. Then, same old thing, it stopped shifting into 2 wheel lock again.
So having enough, I took it to the dealer. I wanted to share this with everyone as the Honda mechanic said it was a linkage problem. But, I noticed the settings he stated were different from what the Service manual said. I wonder if it was because mine was an LE. Anyway, below is what he stated on the invoice.

SHIFTING ISSUE
Description: CUSTOMER STATES THE UNIT WON'T SHIFT FROM TURF MODE TO 2 WHEEL DRIVE TO 14-WHEEL DRIVE
***ADVISE***
Resolution: Cables have been adjusted to within proper specification, each mode appears on the cluster when shifted and after a short distance is driven in both high and low gears. Battery requires jump off each startup, charging system is charging at 14.32VDC and is not over charging. Battery is being drained by accessories.

Recommend: RECOMMEND ADJUSTMENT
Unit was shifting into each mode when unit was brought into the shop. Mode is not being displayed on the cluster, due to cable adjustment being out of specification. Recommend adjustment of the cables to the 9mm gap when unit is in park/2WD and 2mm when unit is in high/2WD.

Hope that helps somebody.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!