Talon 1000R All Thingz UTV Tender Spring Swap Thoughts and Opinions

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've received a decent amount of questions regarding my feedback on the All Thingz UTV (ATUTV) tender spring swap I did on my R. I figured I'd go ahead and post up a thread here so it can be more easily located when searching, but you may have already read this in my build thread:

This is the kit I'm referring to: TALON 1000R 2 SEATER TENDER SPRING KIT
  • Are they a drastic, night & day ride quality improvement over stock?
    • No, BUT these are a marginal improvement and for the price point they’re okay. They’re not bad and at the same time they’re not anything to write home about. Again, you’re not receiving – nor are you paying for – a full upper/lower spring and revalve type of ride quality improvement.
    • I don’t do enough high speed riding to really give valuable feedback on body roll, but it doesn’t seem as planted while road riding to me after installing the springs. However, don’t misinterpret that as if it feels unsafe or out of control – to me it just doesn’t feel as planted as the stock setup. That could very well have something to do with me running 32s and increasing my ride height, though, and since I primarily ride slow speed trails this is relatively unimportant to me.
  • What they do well:
    • They are an improvement in small chatter and do seem to feel a bit less harsh at slow speeds. If you’ve ridden a RZR XP it’s still not quite that plush, but it is a bit more plush than the stock Talon R setup.
    • Ride height, in my opinion, is my biggest benefit from these springs. Between the springs and 32s I’ve got my machine sitting up nicely and have plenty of ground clearance (16.5” front and 16” rear without additional gear loaded and me in the machine).
  • Overall impressions:
    • It’s a decent kit. I don’t have anything distinctly bad to say, but I also wouldn’t urge you to go buy them ASAP. If you’re trying to significantly modify the ride quality I’d recommend keeping the $250 and putting it toward something like a setup from Shock Therapy. Classic case of you get what you pay for.

robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've received a decent amount of questions regarding my feedback on the All Thingz UTV (ATUTV) tender spring swap I did on my R. I figured I'd go ahead and post up a thread here so it can be more easily located when searching, but you may have already read this in my build thread:

This is the kit I'm referring to: TALON 1000R 2 SEATER TENDER SPRING KIT
  • Are they a drastic, night & day ride quality improvement over stock?
    • No, BUT these are a marginal improvement and for the price point they’re okay. They’re not bad and at the same time they’re not anything to write home about. Again, you’re not receiving – nor are you paying for – a full upper/lower spring and revalve type of ride quality improvement.
    • I don’t do enough high speed riding to really give valuable feedback on body roll, but it doesn’t seem as planted while road riding to me after installing the springs. However, don’t misinterpret that as if it feels unsafe or out of control – to me it just doesn’t feel as planted as the stock setup. That could very well have something to do with me running 32s and increasing my ride height, though, and since I primarily ride slow speed trails this is relatively unimportant to me.
  • What they do well:
    • They are an improvement in small chatter and do seem to feel a bit less harsh at slow speeds. If you’ve ridden a RZR XP it’s still not quite that plush, but it is a bit more plush than the stock Talon R setup.
    • Ride height, in my opinion, is my biggest benefit from these springs. Between the springs and 32s I’ve got my machine sitting up nicely and have plenty of ground clearance (16.5” front and 16” rear without additional gear loaded and me in the machine).
  • Overall impressions:
    • It’s a decent kit. I don’t have anything distinctly bad to say, but I also wouldn’t urge you to go buy them ASAP. If you’re trying to significantly modify the ride quality I’d recommend keeping the $250 and putting it toward something like a setup from Shock Therapy. Classic case of you get what you pay for.
They made a big difference on my R. soaks up the little stuff better for a smoother ride. I have 32" tires and that helped a lot also.

J

jweden

Aug 13, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I installed these springs too. I ride desert and trails. I found the recommended pre-load setting to be too much for my liking. It sat higher but the suspension felt harsh. I wasn't looking for lift I was looking for comfort. Visually you could see that the suspension geometry was much steeper than stock. I took a solid 1/2" off the recommended pre-load and you could see that change the suspension geometry closer to stock. This made a great difference in ride quality. These springs also took about 75 to 100 miles to really break in. Better than stock in all areas. I think it was worth the $250

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
jweden

can you please post what length you have from start of thread for preload / ride height and cross over gap on your setup with All Things Tender Springs (front & rear)? About how much ground clearance you ended up with & your tire size

Thanks
Doug

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
On the cross overs rings, do you guys think when they say 2" from spring collar, they are talking from the main large area or the real distance that the collar would travel. Since the thinner flange is really what hits the cross over ring, if you measure from the large flange at 2" you really only have about 1.6" of real travel. Anyone that has done these, which measurement did you use?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!