BOX1

1000R Vs 1000X width better for East half US?

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I searched for a while but maybe I'm not the best at searching so apologize if this has already been answered somewhere else.

I'm looking at purchasing a Talon and am thinking the 1000R would have a better ride over some of the rocky sections with the greater suspension travel. For example some sections get a bit bouncy at least in the 1000-5LE Pioneer, even with setting the Fox shocks at soft and decreasing the air pressure in the tires. I know the 1000X has more suspension travel than the 1000-5LE Pioneer but if I'm going to purchase a Talon why not go for the 1000R with the most? Something to take more of the bounce and less likely to bottom out on some of the larger bounces and hill jumps?

My main concern is the 1000R is wider than the 1000X and not sure how it would do having the less wide open trails and spaces like the West half of the US. Can anyone weigh in if they would go for a 1000R or a 1000X for the East US half?

Thanks

Last edited:
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I ride outlaws and Hatfield trails see as they are in my backyard lol couple off guys in my group own x models and 2 of us have r models other then the bigger Turing radious have yet to find areas we have not me able to fit threw, you are right the talons suspension is build for for high-speed but compared to other sport utility like to pioneer and teryx there is no comparison the ride even at a slower speeds the ride is 10 fold better. If y I you do go with the X straight up buy the bandit tender springs that will help you ride on x models and gain about 1in more ground clearance, my R model is far from stock I am running 32in tires and the super atv 3in lift other then ridding in field around the house I can't tell much difference in ride with the lift the 32s have been on since 400miles and that was a noticeable improvement less bouncy throttle and more ground clearance. You do loose a bit of gitup with 32s but for the east coast speed is not something u use alot.
Just my opinion
If I had it to do over still buying a r model

H

HondaTech

My GM and his buddy ride Harlan County alot and havent had any complaints with their Rs. A fellow tech has been several places in KY, OH, and IN and hasnt had any issues with his R either.

We've gone to X front arms and related stuff for racing, but its alot tighter and faster paced ofcourse.

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I am running 32in tires and the super atv 3in lift
Just wanting to confirm what I have read - on the 1000R it will handle 32" with the stock setup? Or does it need a lift/arms/wheel spacers to keep from rubbing at suspension compression or during turns?

Now the challenge is trying to find one available lol

Reactions: Blownzuki
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Mine stock wheels on 32s does not rub I went to beadlocks 6+1 offset had to use 1.5in on rear to set track right all in all no issues with 32s
Where are u located here at hillbilly cycle in Princeton wv we have 1 2 seater limited edition R coming in thats not spoken for yet everything else has been spoken for

MAJspoon

MAJspoon

Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2020
Cadiz, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I dont have any experience with the R but I have about 1500 miles on my X almost exclusively at RRB, Brimestone, HMT- rockhouse, devil anse, buffalo mt and my local ride Turkey Bay. That said: Suspension started out stiff on the x. Went from 30 inch terrabites on stock wheels with minimal change in ride. Went to 32 in Terramasters on 5+2 on Sys 3 beadlock wheels and at the 1000 mile point I feel like the springs and large tires made a huge difference. In fact I ride on the #2 setting on the shocks. Also the new offset has put me at 66 inches wide. My opinion: After adding new wheels and time on the suspension, it has loosen up. Don't waste money on tender springs. Buy wheels and tires and when you get to the point your suspension needs to be redone, send it in and have it revalved and sprung for you riding wt and style. @Hometeam had his done in TN and was very satisfied.

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
Where are u located here at hillbilly cycle in Princeton wv we have 1 2 seater limited edition R coming in thats not spoken for yet everything else has been spoken for
I'm about 3 hours from there, maybe I should contact them tomorrow. I was looking at the SE but I don't mind getting upgrade parts and doing the work myself either. Was considering the 4 seater as well I'm not certain yet though.

Last edited:
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I'm about 3 hours from there, maybe I should contact them tomorrow. I was looking at the SE but I don't mind getting upgrade parts and doing the work myself either. Was considering the 4 seater as well I'm not certain yet though.
just call 304-425-4321 ask for regi in sales tell him shawn sent you from the forum i work there in shop last to my knowledge is we only have the 1 2 seater SE R left that is no spoken for due in last of this month or june then done have anything showing until i think november
regi is the sales manager he will take good care of you

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
only reason to get the X is if the R won't fit down the trails.

Reactions: CID
J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
Thanks for everyone's input, I'm going with the R. I don't think I'll run into any problems at most places I'll be sure to try and check ahead of time before going.

Shawn, I went ahead and called Regi and put a deposit down. He wasn't sure if the SE had the live valve so I did a little digging and found a Honda press release saying it does.

2021 Honda Talon 1000R SE / Talon 1000X-4 SE Features & Benefits

Reactions: Remington
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Awesome
Thanks for everyone's input, I'm going with the R. I don't think I'll run into any problems at most places I'll be sure to try and check ahead of time before going.

Shawn, I went ahead and called Regi and put a deposit down. He wasn't sure if the SE had the live valve so I did a little digging and found a Honda press release saying it does.

2021 Honda Talon 1000R SE / Talon 1000X-4 SE Features & Benefits
We definitely appreciate you

Reactions: CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!