1000X Live Valve won't Start

A

AKOG

Nov 22, 2019
Waterloo, Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hello,
I have a 2020 live valve 4-seater and loaded it up on the trailer, Drove 2 hours and it didn't start. I don't have 100 miles on this thing!
The engine turns over and couple of times it almost started and then quickly died.
Here is what I have done:
1. Fuel pump works as I can hear it run when I turn the key
2. installed new spark plugs ($74). Ouch!
3. Disconnected and reconnected battery cables.
4. IACV valve step motor is functional

I found one other thread and a solution was offered to check the ground wires. Andy other help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I also have the service manual.
Thank you!
Andy

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Took the air filter off which was dirty as hell and it fired right up!
.....SMDH!
Andy

This could help, a post by @CID listing all the snorkel info that @hondabob has shared with us.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks Jeremie.......so keep it simple stupid, right? Took the air filter off which was dirty as hell and it fired right up!
.....SMDH!
Andy
Glad to to see u fixed it! And welcome from Michigan!
Got pics of this nasty filter and most importantly the machine she goes too?

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
A

AKOG

Nov 22, 2019
Waterloo, Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hi All,
So I got my new air filters today and to my surprise they came with SEALS. There were no seals installed at the factory. Explains why it's so nasty with less that 100 miles.
I'm having a terrible time with installation of the seals both on the filter and the housing. They don't want to press into the grooves without popping back out.
Andy one know any tricks? Only youtube vid I could find, they left the factory seals in place
And for Remington, here's a pic with set of freshly installed 30s on beadlocks

Talon with 30s

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi All,
So I got my new air filters today and to my surprise they came with SEALS. There were no seals installed at the factory. Explains why it's so nasty with less that 100 miles.
I'm having a terrible time with installation of the seals both on the filter and the housing. They don't want to press into the grooves without popping back out.
Andy one know any tricks? Only youtube vid I could find, they left the factory seals in place
And for Remington, here's a pic with set of freshly installed 30s on beadlocks

View attachment 281292
The groves where the seals go are pretty deep and the seals install so they are just below the surface. If your new seal it sticking above the surface, you have not removed the old seals.

I highly doubt the seals are missing or the clean side of the air box (the one you remove with clips) would be filthy. After the seals are used/compressed, they go a little flat and "look" like there is nothing in there. Are you absolutely sure there are no seals in there? Can you upload some close up pics of the cover and housing where the groves are?

You may want to try and use a small pick or large needle and try to remove the seals. Just poke in the middle, angle the pick whiling pushing in and then pull the seal out.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also this guy has an interesting solution to reduce the swirling, dusty air that enters the filter with a little DIY dirty air flow-through
That mod is nothing more than an experiment. I think it has some merit but unfortunately, he has not followed up on the mod with a comment or another video and comments are turned off so there is no way to ask him if it works or not.

Maybe he will follow up. However, his prolonged silence (almost 4 months now) would indicate that it does not work (or minimally works). If this mod worked, wouldn't you tell everyone you know?

Reactions: CID
A

AKOG

Nov 22, 2019
Waterloo, Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Well I'll be damned! Thanks Paul! With my less than stellar eyesight, the old seals we way down in the grooves. Plucked them out put everything back and she fired right up!
I really appreciate everyone's help.

I do think that mod to filter outside error has some merit, but needs some proof. I noticed he turned the comments off as well.

Thanks to you all again! Wife and kids and I now have a great ride for camping at the lake over the 4th.
Andy

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
We’d still like to see pics of the filter that was dirty enough to keep the engine from running if you haven’t thrown it away, plz.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Unless I am not looking at this right....that filter is not dirty. I have 1000 miles on my filter in Tennessee trails. My last filter was 10x dirtier than that and still worked. Something doesn't seem right. But I am glad you got it back running!
Was thinking the same?

Reactions: Hometeam
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Barely used. That will not cause your machine to not start.

There was (is) something else wrong. I wonder if a connector or wire is lose and you "knocked" it back in when you changed the filter. You may want to look at all the connectors to make sure that all the wires are fully inserted and the connectors are fully "locked" together.

Also check all your grounds (especially the ones under the driver seat) and make sure they are tight.

A

AKOG

Nov 22, 2019
Waterloo, Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the input. I've not checked the ground under the seat. But it was digital. Removed filter. Fired right up. Gonna get it off the trailer, now that I can and drive it around and will report back

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the input. I've not checked the ground under the seat. But it was digital. Removed filter. Fired right up. Gonna get it off the trailer, now that I can and drive it around and will report back
I just noticed you have a 4 seater. I think the ground lug with all the wire is actually under the left rear seat, not the driver seat.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ll join the others and say that filter wasn’t your problem unless it was soaking wet - maybe.

The ground buss should look something like this - maybe. :p

J

JasonX4Talon

Jan 28, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hello,
I have a 2020 live valve 4-seater and loaded it up on the trailer, Drove 2 hours and it didn't start. I don't have 100 miles on this thing!
The engine turns over and couple of times it almost started and then quickly died.
Here is what I have done:
1. Fuel pump works as I can hear it run when I turn the key
2. installed new spark plugs ($74). Ouch!
3. Disconnected and reconnected battery cables.
4. IACV valve step motor is functional

I found one other thread and a solution was offered to check the ground wires. Andy other help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I also have the service manual.
Thank you!
Andy
Definately Invest in particle separator

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Agree with JasonX4Team. I know the S&B Particle Seperators are expensive, but it is the only one recommended by Honda. The air flow is critical to the engine and Honda recommended the S&B Particle Separators for keep dirt out of your engine AND meets air flow specs. Hope this helps.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!