10W-40 GN4 (now HP4M) in sub-transmission???

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I am doing a maintenance on my Talon. I was going to change the sub-transmission fluid even though it is only 8 months old and 2253 miles. I have 2 quarts of 10W-40 GN4 that I apparently bought for the sub-trans. But, looking at the owners manual and the shop manual, both say to use 10W-30, same as the engine. The manuals do list 10W-40 as optional for the engine at above 10 degrees F, which I most certainly will be. I live in AZ, and normal riding temps will be 50 to 90 degrees. I don't have enough 10W-30, and would have to drive 45 miles one way to the nearest dealer to get more. Or order it and wait, which isn't a huge deal. I don't know where I came up with buying the 10W-40?? 😕 Has that ever been suggested? Recommended? Acceptable? It isn't really a big deal, I am mostly annoyed at myself for buying the 10W-40! ☹️

I know I am a dumb bass, but feel free to remind me! :)

PS: It is already drained. :oops:

ETA: I guess I could buy another brand 10W-30 locally. Also, I know other fluids have been suggested, but I can't remember what they were, and a quick search didn't help me. Sorry for the whining! 😃

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fwiw on my Honda P1k5 sub trans I had a similar issue when I replaced the front output shaft seal. It was a Sunday afternoon and all I had was 5w40 Rotella diesel oil. That was nearly 1000 miles ago. No issues whatsoever.

if it were my rig, I’d dump the 10w40 in it and sleep like a baby especially in your location.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
10W-40 will be just fine for our climate, Tom. I'm running 10W-40 HP4M in my sub-trans as are a few others. Knock wood, my sub-trans has been trouble free, no trouble shifting into low. I tend to let the Talon warm up a bit before moving it, that probably helps.

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Red Line Lightweight Shockproof.
That's the one I was trying to remember! Maybe next time.

Oddly enough, my GN4 10W-40 turned out to actually be HP4M. I am sure that I saw that recommended here, SOMEWHERE, so I bought it. I just finished putting in 44 ounces. 👍

I think my dumb bassedness can now be certified. 😉

Thanks, all!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's the one I was trying to remember! Maybe next time.

It's awesome stuff. I put lightweight in the subtrans and heavyweight in the diffs at the beginning of the race season and haven't touched them since. Zero grinding from the subtrans...Ever! I checked the diffs and subtrans levels before the last race and noticed the fluid still even looks clean. 😎

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have put about 400 miles on the Talon since I put the 10W-40 HP4M in the sub transmission. Today we rode 50+ miles on the highway at 50 MPH (the legal limit in UT ☹️ ). I have found that the gear whine at highway speed is very noticeably reduced. That is great, because that gear noise was always a bit of a problem for me. I can't say that I have noticed any difference in shifting, but I wasn't having any problem with shifting. I think I will be sticking with this oil.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am doing a maintenance on my Talon. I was going to change the sub-transmission fluid even though it is only 8 months old and 2253 miles. I have 2 quarts of 10W-40 GN4 that I apparently bought for the sub-trans. But, looking at the owners manual and the shop manual, both say to use 10W-30, same as the engine. The manuals do list 10W-40 as optional for the engine at above 10 degrees F, which I most certainly will be. I live in AZ, and normal riding temps will be 50 to 90 degrees. I don't have enough 10W-30, and would have to drive 45 miles one way to the nearest dealer to get more. Or order it and wait, which isn't a huge deal. I don't know where I came up with buying the 10W-40?? 😕 Has that ever been suggested? Recommended? Acceptable? It isn't really a big deal, I am mostly annoyed at myself for buying the 10W-40! ☹️

I know I am a dumb bass, but feel free to remind me! :)

PS: It is already drained. :oops:

ETA: I guess I could buy another brand 10W-30 locally. Also, I know other fluids have been suggested, but I can't remember what they were, and a quick search didn't help me. Sorry for the whining! 😃
I’m getting ready to do all of the 3600 mi lube changes on my P1k5 and I’m planning on using 20w-50 mobil 1 in the sub trans 75-140 Mobil 1 in the diffs and 10w-40 again in the engine. Here in Az we have to worry about the heat and not the cold. Dealer in Scottsdale told me when I bought the machine that they always use the 10w-40 oil in the engines.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The "M" in HP4M means moly is added. Moly is great for high load gears and bearings but terrible for wet clutches. Do not use moly added oils in the engine/transmission. Subtrans use is great and recommended especially in the talon.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have put about 400 miles on the Talon since I put the 10W-40 HP4M in the sub transmission. Today we rode 50+ miles on the highway at 50 MPH (the legal limit in UT ☹️ ). I have found that the gear whine at highway speed is very noticeably reduced. That is great, because that gear noise was always a bit of a problem for me. I can't say that I have noticed any difference in shifting, but I wasn't having any problem with shifting. I think I will be sticking with this oil.
Assuming that you rode out of sand hollow and went 25 miles each way on asphalt, where did you go? I am somewhat familiar with that area

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Assuming that you rode out of sand hollow and went 25 miles each way on asphalt, where did you go? I am somewhat familiar with that area
We are staying in Hurricane. We rode up to Kolob Reservoir. That was all paved, but we had never been up there before. Beautiful ride! Then we went over to Rockville, up "Crybaby Hill" to Smithsonian Butte, down to Apple Valley, then back to Hurricane. Lots of pavement but it was still fun. This is the first time we have spent any time in this area, so we are just exploring. We will head back to the dunes later today. 😁

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!