BOX1

P500 12" beadlock wheels

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
My 2016 P5 will be 5 y/o in June. Thought about upgrading the wheels & tires a few years ago but decided to wait. I've decided to do the upgrade now before 2021 riding season really gets cranked up. I'm gonna go with 26" tires and am leaning toward the Terrabites or Rock-A-Billys due to their durability and more squared edges. I fill like that will help with lateral stability of the P5. I like the Rip Saws, too, but they're only 6 ply.

I've read through post after post on here about tires n wheels. I appreciate all the intel folks have provided. I've seen it recommended to get beadlock wheels. I've also read posts that say to stick with 12" wheels instead of going to 14s because the 12s will ride smoother due to more sidewall. The only problem is that when shopping online, I'm seeing very few options available in 12" beadlocks. However, if I go to a 14" wheel, there is a plethora of different beadlock wheels to choose from. (If I end up getting the Terrabites, I'll have to get 14" wheels.) For those of you that have 12" beadlocks, which wheel do you have?

Also, any downside to my 2 tire options? I wanting to put together a durable wheel package that will reduce my chances of tire/wheel flats/problems as much as possible while I'm out on the trail due to some physical limitations. I don't ride in much deep mud. I avoid it whenever I can but want to be able to get through it when necessary. I'm more of a dirt road, gravel, woodland trail rider. Thanks for yalls help.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
All of the ATV/SXS wheels are basically bead locks. They have a large ridge that the tire bead must snap over to seat and this keeps the tire bead in place. With this type of rim you can run very low air pressure without popping the bead. If you have ever tried to change your own atv tires you know it can be very hard to brake the bead. In my opinion there is no need for a bolt on bead lock.

Reactions: Cyborg and trigger
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All of the ATV/SXS wheels are basically bead locks. They have a large ridge that the tire bead must snap over to seat and this keeps the tire bead in place. With this type of rim you can run very low air pressure without popping the bead. If you have ever tried to change your own atv tires you know it can be very hard to brake the bead. In my opinion there is no need for a bolt on bead lock.
Unless your out on the trails and bust a side wall, with a bead lock, its easy to stuff a tube in and go on?

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Unless your out on the trails and bust a side wall, with a bead lock, its easy to stuff a tube in and go on?
Havn't priced it out myself, but I'm curious. What's the price diff between 4x beadlock rims VS a spare rim + tire? Even if its a cheapy tire/rim for a spare, it gets you back to base.
Guess there's more weight involved with the spare to factor in too.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
That would be the only advantage I see to a bolt on bead lock. They are easier to change tires.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That would be the only advantage I see to a bolt on bead lock. They are easier to change tires.

With beadlock you can run much lower tire pressures and not risk breaking a bead. Helps with traction under certain circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyborg
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
My 2016 P5 will be 5 y/o in June. Thought about upgrading the wheels & tires a few years ago but decided to wait. I've decided to do the upgrade now before 2021 riding season really gets cranked up. I'm gonna go with 26" tires and am leaning toward the Terrabites or Rock-A-Billys due to their durability and more squared edges. I fill like that will help with lateral stability of the P5. I like the Rip Saws, too, but they're only 6 ply.

I've read through post after post on here about tires n wheels. I appreciate all the intel folks have provided. I've seen it recommended to get beadlock wheels. I've also read posts that say to stick with 12" wheels instead of going to 14s because the 12s will ride smoother due to more sidewall. The only problem is that when shopping online, I'm seeing very few options available in 12" beadlocks. However, if I go to a 14" wheel, there is a plethora of different beadlock wheels to choose from. (If I end up getting the Terrabites, I'll have to get 14" wheels.) For those of you that have 12" beadlocks, which wheel do you have?

Also, any downside to my 2 tire options? I wanting to put together a durable wheel package that will reduce my chances of tire/wheel flats/problems as much as possible while I'm out on the trail due to some physical limitations. I don't ride in much deep mud. I avoid it whenever I can but want to be able to get through it when necessary. I'm more of a dirt road, gravel, woodland trail rider. Thanks for yalls help.
I have the Rip Saws and the 6 ply have been excellent, not an issue and they have been though a LOT of nasty sharp rocks with no problem.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
We got a good deal on some 26 inch roctanes and are looking for wheels also. I like the idea of a 12 inch beadlock just incase I had to repair a tire discount tire online shows a vision wheel for about 100 bucks. And I think sti makes one also

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Similar riding myself. Why beadlocks?

I run 27s on 12s at 8-10 psi and climb and crawl through anything.
Mainly because I've seen several positive recommendations for using them on this forum and am trying to be proactive in eliminating potential issues while out riding. It might be overkill for me as I've been running the stock tires at the same PSI as you and haven't had an issue myself. Just trying to cover all the bases with the investment in the aftermarket tires.

Reactions: futzin
Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
We got a good deal on some 26 inch roctanes and are looking for wheels also. I like the idea of a 12 inch beadlock just incase I had to repair a tire discount tire online shows a vision wheel for about 100 bucks. And I think sti makes one also
Discount Tire has always taken care of me on my truck tires. Thanks for the info. I'll check with em.

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
With beadlock you can run muck lower tire pressures and not risk breaking a bead. Helps with traction under certain circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm a novice at this, so please bear with me - what would be considered a "low PSI" at which the bead could break? I'm almost always at 8-10 and have dropped it to 6 at the least maybe once or twice.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I'm a novice at this, so please bear with me - what would be considered a "low PSI" at which the bead could break? I'm almost always at 8-10 and have dropped it to 6 at the least maybe once or twice.
Old atvs ran the tire pressure as low as 2.5psi with no problems unseating the beads. You can basically run the tire almost completely flat without a problem. I have never had an atv or sxs tire come off the bead even when limping home on a flat tire. I have however needed to cut, grind and burn the tire off the rim a few times because I could not get the bead to unseat. The factory wheel holds the bead very well and is actually very difficult to unseat even without a bolt on bead lock.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
From OP - For those of you that have 12" beadlocks, which wheel do you have?

I'm running STI HD Beadlocks 12 x 7 with 5 +2 offset. The only trouble I have encountered was after Takeover 2018 I was loosing air pressure daily in one tire, it seems there was a lot of mud that had worked its way under the bead area as can be seen in the following link, possibly from uneven torqueing and my solution with a short video of how to seat tire beads with a small compressor. I only needed to do one tire, but I decided to do all four to make sure everything was sound and to change the valve stem from rubber to metal, which I think is a much better option.

On a beadlock it's important to apply even and equal torque on the rim and STI recommends 10ft/lbs per bolt - If you don't like torque wrenches - beadlocks are definately not for you.

Overall I'm happy with both the looks and function of the beadlocks, and if I had to do it all over again I would probably get the same rims.

Reactions: Cyborg and trigger
Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Old atvs ran the tire pressure as low as 2.5psi with no problems unseating the beads. You can basically run the tire almost completely flat without a problem. I have never had an atv or sxs tire come off the bead even when limping home on a flat tire. I have however needed to cut, grind and burn the tire off the rim a few times because I could not get the bead to unseat. The factory wheel holds the bead very well and is actually very difficult to unseat even without a bolt on bead lock.
Thank you. Good info to know.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I have the STI beadlocks with the teflon coating and love how the mud slings off of them. Like others have said you very seldom if ever have bead issues with a ATV or SxS. If you have ever tried to change a tire on one you will understand. I can remember driving a truck over my tires on my ATV to break a bead loose to change a busted tire.

Mine had the bead locks wheels and 26" tires put on by the dealer when i bought it and i really liked the look, don't think they were needed for anything else.

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the input. Decided to go non-beadlock. With the kind of riding I do and not running real low air pressure, your replies and talking to the service guys at the Honda dealer, I don't think they're necessary.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Wait, I have blown the tire off the bead more than once, with the 30" tire on a 12" rim I must have more give than some, but I really NEED the bead locks. If I run 7 psi and drop off a large ledge (nose down vertical kinda thing) I always worry about it happening.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!