15" wheels vs 14"

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I want to purchase a set of wheels and tires. What advantage or dis advantage is there from running 14" wheels, for example is the taller side wall with the 14" a softer ride etc etc,,,,,reason for asking is because I find more options with the 14" wheel so it seems anyway.

I wish to use a 30" tire with this set up,,,, additionally what is the advantage or dis advantage using a 5x2 wheel all around with a spacer in the rear or a 6x1 up front and a 4x3 in the back and no spacer.

I need to spend my stimulus bucks on something good LOL.

Reactions: Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You should read this...

Reactions: Isaiah
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run 14" wheels ands tires. I did it to give my wheels more protection from rocks. Mine are a high offsite and don't rub at all.
IMG 5420

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've had zero issues with my 14's. Wheels are 5/2 all around with 1.5" rear spacers. That extra sidewall in my 32x10 Roxxzilla's really helps to soften the ride in the rough and rocky trails that we normally ride.
IMG 2398 2

Reactions: BigOL3 and TripleB
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I’m running 14’s also with no issues.

sti hd9 beadlocks.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
As the linked thread points out, the rubbing has only occurred on an "R" because there is more suspension travel. X models have no reason to worry that I am aware of but no one has actually measured the clearance that I know of.

My 14X7 5+2 sand rims don't rub but there is only .040" clearance. There are reports that 14X7 6+1 rims rub. 4+3 probably wont but that may depend on the wheel brand.

If you have not removed the shock and compressed the suspension all the way then there is no way to tell if they clear or by how much. .040" is clearance but in my opinion, not enough. I ended up grinding 1/4" off the casting to get more clearance.

No one ever said 14" wheels don't work, just read the threads and take necessary precautions. If you didn't read ALL the threads linked, then you missed some very important information.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Raceline Krank 14" wheels on my R. I went ahead and ground off probably 1/4" as precaution and did a 200 mile ride last week on new wheels with no issues. I ruined a wheel last year before Paul pointed out the numb as I thought it was from rock. My wheels are 6/1 offset with spacers on rear

C

Coltzz

Nov 3, 2019
Inverness, Fl
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought STI HD9 Beadlock 14's 5+1 and 4+3. STI suggested they would not rub but they did on my R at full compression. After a little research it was determined the front upper control arms has a bit that needs to be ground a bit but no big deal. See pics:

04302016451 04302016441

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
As the linked thread points out, the rubbing has only occurred on an "R" because there is more suspension travel. X models have no reason to worry that I am aware of but no one has actually measured the clearance that I know of.

My 14X7 5+2 sand rims don't rub but there is only .040" clearance. There are reports that 14X7 6+1 rims rub. 4+3 probably wont but that may depend on the wheel brand.

If you have not removed the shock and compressed the suspension all the way then there is no way to tell if they clear or by how much. .040" is clearance but in my opinion, not enough. I ended up grinding 1/4" off the casting to get more clearance.

No one ever said 14" wheels don't work, just read the threads and take necessary precautions. If you didn't read ALL the threads linked, then you missed some very important information.

OP has an X

i spied on his previous postings. 😂

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!