BOX1

P1000 16’ saved!

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
“Don’t join COPART!” Says my loving wife. “You don’t need another project!” …her follow up. Well thankfully for me, she’s not my project buying supervisor so I bought it anyway!
8C91A0E4 48A1 4CA8 B7DD 00471238145E

Did the “buy it now” on Copart for this 2016 1000-5 with only 4,000 miles sight unseen for $6,700. We had been talking about a boat, or a UTV for her and the kid and dogs while I’m on my enduro cruising some trails. It popped up one night so we decided to get it in hopes the damage wasn’t too bad. The listing said “runs and drives” and I’m certain I escaped death from falling off the ramps getting onto a very tall trailer. The only thing holding the tire on was a weak lower arm and the axle.
E02F60F5 6E4A 4434 B850 F3C198E1605B

You can see the top of the ball joint that was sheared off. And the upper arm ripped the cv boot when it let go.
B910A2DA 466F 4DD1 922C 607D0E5F90F9

Once I got to the yard to actually load this and get it back I noticed the front left control arm was bent back into a crushed frame. The upper ball joint had sheared off and the brake lines for the front and rear driver side were pinched in 2. Someone got gnarly with this but it wasn’t so bad it couldn’t be saved.
ECD29C56 F4A5 406D A3E8 480266C59DE3

56C7C292 8E70 4663 BBEA F0959E60B0BF

2E9BE8F7 DBFD 4516 837B 2622A91187F5

I used a tie down strap and some chain to wench the front control arm knuckle out. Once I got it pulled back to the normal position, I made a plate that fit over the damaged area and cupped the frame and control arm together for strength. Ran a flame over the frame to push the crunched part up a little more flat to mate with the rear of the plate and welded it up. I had to buy a mig welder from HDepot. Never welded before so I ran a few passes over the patch metal spares to dial the welder in. I don’t think it turned out bad! A couple spots were spatter crap between the big gaps but it’s still solid.
2EFD9E6D F3C5 4BD6 83EE DBC3C0AA5F88

56543F3E 9BFD 480F 9B2B 6A27ADB8773C

6B2DE11F 1611 4EA8 A2CF F5AF32127AD7

Once I got this finished and went to put the axle back in, I found out the dang thing was bent and the bearings were dimpled! I’m all my excitement getting it welded back up I didn’t think about inspecting the other parts. Took another week to get a new axle. In the mean time I disassembled the bad axle and I’m keeping the bearings and races to forge a knife or axe to keep in the sxs.
90E41B7E 354B 4FD9 9CD0 0BFB876E262A

Anyhow, I finally finished it all up tonight and ripped around the yard! I was worried the trans and diff/linkage may have been beat up with how bad the rig was smashed in the front left. But, it shifts through all gears and between 4/2/turf just fine! I had the battery off for 3 weeks while I’ve dealt with parts and time to fix this. As soon as I plugged the battery in and turned the key, fired right up! I’m highly impressed with this rig! Just gotta name it!

Now, the question is, which one of you little dirtbags wrecked nana and pop pop’s pioneer?! Lol

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice job! What about the bent cage? Looks like they rolled it?

Also curious about the knife or axe thing, you'll have to share the details when you do it.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
“Don’t join COPART!” Says my loving wife. “You don’t need another project!” …her follow up. Well thankfully for me, she’s not my project buying supervisor so I bought it anyway!
View attachment 363683
Did the “buy it now” on Copart for this 2016 1000-5 with only 4,000 miles sight unseen for $6,700. We had been talking about a boat, or a UTV for her and the kid and dogs while I’m on my enduro cruising some trails. It popped up one night so we decided to get it in hopes the damage wasn’t too bad. The listing said “runs and drives” and I’m certain I escaped death from falling off the ramps getting onto a very tall trailer. The only thing holding the tire on was a weak lower arm and the axle.
View attachment 363684
You can see the top of the ball joint that was sheared off. And the upper arm ripped the cv boot when it let go.
View attachment 363685
Once I got to the yard to actually load this and get it back I noticed the front left control arm was bent back into a crushed frame. The upper ball joint had sheared off and the brake lines for the front and rear driver side were pinched in 2. Someone got gnarly with this but it wasn’t so bad it couldn’t be saved.
View attachment 363686
View attachment 363688
View attachment 363689
I used a tie down strap and some chain to wench the front control arm knuckle out. Once I got it pulled back to the normal position, I made a plate that fit over the damaged area and cupped the frame and control arm together for strength. Ran a flame over the frame to push the crunched part up a little more flat to mate with the rear of the plate and welded it up. I had to buy a mig welder from HDepot. Never welded before so I ran a few passes over the patch metal spares to dial the welder in. I don’t think it turned out bad! A couple spots were spatter crap between the big gaps but it’s still solid.
View attachment 363690
View attachment 363691
View attachment 363692

Once I got this finished and went to put the axle back in, I found out the dang thing was bent and the bearings were dimpled! I’m all my excitement getting it welded back up I didn’t think about inspecting the other parts. Took another week to get a new axle. In the mean time I disassembled the bad axle and I’m keeping the bearings and races to forge a knife or axe to keep in the sxs.
View attachment 363693
Anyhow, I finally finished it all up tonight and ripped around the yard! I was worried the trans and diff/linkage may have been beat up with how bad the rig was smashed in the front left. But, it shifts through all gears and between 4/2/turf just fine! I had the battery off for 3 weeks while I’ve dealt with parts and time to fix this. As soon as I plugged the battery in and turned the key, fired right up! I’m highly impressed with this rig! Just gotta name it!

Now, the question is, which one of you little dirtbags wrecked nana and pop pop’s pioneer?! Lol
Nice!!! 👍

Welcome from South Florida

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice job! What about the bent cage? Looks like they rolled it?

Also curious about the knife or axe thing, you'll have to share the details when you do it.
Yeah, I’m not too sure what happened there. I can’t tell is the rig popped up into a branch overhead and bent it or if something fell onto it. The impact marks on the top of the cage, and the fact the body doesn’t have any signs of “rollover” scratches is a mystery. I’m going to let the vent cage ride for now. I’ve got the VIN inspection with the Washington State Patrol coming up for the title, then the DOL to make it street legal when I get the right lights and mirrors ordered.

My family and I love that Forged In Fire show. My brother in law does knives for friends and family all the time. He helped me make my first little Damascus knife out of ball bearings. I want to make a little SHTF axe to carry in the sxs. I’ll post it in here when I make it.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa.......again.. haha
Glad you made it over here from the other place. 👍
The hands on knowledge of these guys is the best you will find...anywhere!
Just make sure to use the search bar first, before asking questions.
Have a good day
I come from a long line of forums. I run the search bar as much as I can before posting 🤘🏼 The other site was barren. Glad I was told about this one! I’ve found some good info on what I couldn’t find on the other site.

jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 363683
View attachment 363684
View attachment 363685
View attachment 363686
View attachment 363688
View attachment 363689
View attachment 363690
View attachment 363691
View attachment 363692

View attachment 363693

How about naming it Lazarus, since you brought it back from the dead:)

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How about naming it Lazarus, since you brought it back from the dead:)
I’ve been running over different names but it’ll be my wife and kiddo in it. I’ll be on my enduro. She’s excited to name it but needs to “feel it out” for a name. Lol My bikes name is Reptard. 🤘🏼 Got 2, 1995 DR350’s from a farmer in Montana who took them all apart for some reason and lost interest in the project. Got them both for $400!
AB351F69 5FA5 4D4E 961C 151BF24E45EA

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just take a bottle jack, piece of pipe and a torch and jack it up while heating that cage and it will help. Do a little measuring before hand and you may be perfect.
That was my initial idea. Even if I had to take it off, cut out the bad, mount the good parts back to the frame and then weld in some new stuff wouldn’t be too bad. I think where the frame was bent back, both spots would need to be heated at the same time though. The pillar beside the drive will be the hardest because it’s bent on the bend. Whatever hit it bent the front out of alignment and broke a bolt off the driver mount too. I realized today while restocking my firewood table that the bed won’t dump. It will release just fine but the roll cage has bent back JUUUUUST far enough that the net mount hoop for the rear stops the bed from tilting up. Tilts up about 2”s and stops.
BCD4A8F1 4506 4627 9EC4 4372592526EB

96C2F471 8A5F 4B8E ABA3 5DBE726A9E75

91BE118B 8EDE 4C10 82D3 CD733CF2BFBE

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That was my initial idea. Even if I had to take it off, cut out the bad, mount the good parts back to the frame and then weld in some new stuff wouldn’t be too bad. I think where the frame was bent back, both spots would need to be heated at the same time though. The pillar beside the drive will be the hardest because it’s bent on the bend. Whatever hit it bent the front out of alignment and broke a bolt off the driver mount too. I realized today while restocking my firewood table that the bed won’t dump. It will release just fine but the roll cage has bent back JUUUUUST far enough that the net mount hoop for the rear stops the bed from tilting up. Tilts up about 2”s and stops.
View attachment 363777
View attachment 363778
View attachment 363779
Might as well chop the top to fix your cage. Great time to do it cuz of all the cuts you have to do and its all fubared anyway. Search “chop top club” to get ideas.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A rops is designed for a single event. If it’s not replaced afterward all bets are off.
The bottom line is liability. An insurance co. will not repair a rops.
If you repair anything that an insurance co. will not you assume All responsibility as far as liability goes. If you repair, chop, modify in any way the rops and you or a passenger gets hurt or killed You are the one who will be sued.
That being said, Good Luck and Have Fun.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!