P1000 16 pioneer not shifting

T

Tjmansfield0712

Feb 24, 2021
Ca
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone. I have a 2016 pioneer. It will run fine for a few miles. Then the gear indicator starts flashing with a dash. And dies. Put it back in park. Starts up. Try to put it in gear and it dies. Do that a few times. Then it will start and let me put it in gear. But no matter what gear I put it in reverse. High or low. It shows 4. And it won’t move anywhere. Like it’s in neutral. I can manually shift and hear it shift. Watch the number change But it’s just stuck in neutral. If I let it sit over 30 minutes. Start it up and runs fine. FYI 2016 1000 with 10k miles

L

lamakomo

Jul 17, 2015
Same experience happened to me today. Did you come across a fix?

Reactions: Lady01
L

lamakomo

Jul 17, 2015
@lamakomo are you getting any codes from the display? (Page 4-7 of the service manual)
No, no codes. Tried to do the DCT reintialize process and it doesn’t complete. In the final step where you turn the engine on and wait ~ 1 minute for the “-“ to turn to “P” and MT AT lights to turn off, it never does. The “-“ just continues to blink in 2 second intervals. Tried multiple times.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No, no codes. Tried to do the DCT reintialize process and it doesn’t complete. In the final step where you turn the engine on and wait ~ 1 minute for the “-“ to turn to “P” and MT AT lights to turn off, it never does. The “-“ just continues to blink in 2 second intervals. Tried multiple times.
Is yours a 16’
If so, have u had the clutch update?

L

lamakomo

Jul 17, 2015
Is yours a 16’
If so, have u had the clutch update?
It is a 16’. I had the clutch replaced and updated a couple years ago. No issues as of late with clutch and/or shifting. This current problem wasn’t noticed until my machine just up and died about 5 mph. Didn’t realize it was showing “-“ in gear display till about the 4th time of it dying mid trail. I was able to mess with paddle shift & switch between high and low and eventually start moving again about 10 times till it ultimately would never engage. Luckily by then I was in a spot accessible by pickup/trailer :)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It is a 16’. I had the clutch replaced and updated a couple years ago. No issues as of late with clutch and/or shifting. This current problem wasn’t noticed until my machine just up and died about 5 mph. Didn’t realize it was showing “-“ in gear display till about the 4th time of it dying mid trail. I was able to mess with paddle shift & switch between high and low and eventually start moving again about 10 times till it ultimately would never engage. Luckily by then I was in a spot accessible by pickup/trailer :)
Id make sure i did the cable adjustment on the underside drivers side. If u search it here, youll find threads with step by step instructions. Other than that
you might be at dealer territory now! Unless someone has another solution? Let us know what you find?

So you knew this was coming lol.
youve been a member since 15’ when Christ was a foot soldier, and yesterday, this thread was your first ever post! No Pics! Sounds like u have a machine! You've been on here long enough soYou know the rule….
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)

L

lamakomo

Jul 17, 2015
Id make sure i did the cable adjustment on the underside drivers side. If u search it here, youll find threads with step by step instructions. Other than that
you might be at dealer territory now! Unless someone has another solution? Let us know what you find?

So you knew this was coming lol.
youve been a member since 15’ when Christ was a foot soldier, and yesterday, this thread was your first ever post! No Pics! Sounds like u have a machine! You've been on here long enough soYou know the rule….
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)
Ha, I should have seen it coming, yes! Thanks for everyone’s help. And of coarse, I’ll update when there is a solution found. Surely this won’t be the end of a good ride! Had since new, literally rolled 6K miles while limping it back yesterday.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Just for fun. This isn't going to cost you anything. Pull your shift motor off and open it up and see how black the armature is .If it"s black looking and dirty clean up with fine emery or sandpaper, also make sure that the brushes are both free and slide easily. FYI the brushes are mounted in the black plastic part and a easy way to put it back together is to put the armature into the brush holder first and then hold onto the shaft thats sticking out and place the armature back into the housing. The magnetic force is going to want to pull the armature back into the housing so hanging onto the shaft that sticking out will keep the brushes from coming off the shaft. Lots of people have had weird things with shifting etc: due to the dirty shift motor. Let us know how this works out and if it cures your problem. I had weird problems with mine to and the fix was to clean up what I mentioned.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Just for fun. This isn't going to cost you anything. Pull your shift motor off and open it up and see how black the armature is .If it"s black looking and dirty clean up with fine emery or sandpaper, also make sure that the brushes are both free and slide easily. FYI the brushes are mounted in the black plastic part and a easy way to put it back together is to put the armature into the brush holder first and then hold onto the shaft thats sticking out and place the armature back into the housing. The magnetic force is going to want to pull the armature back into the housing so hanging onto the shaft that sticking out will keep the brushes from coming off the shaft. Lots of people have had weird things with shifting etc: due to the dirty shift motor. Let us know how this works out and if it cures your problem. I had weird problems with mine to and the fix was to clean up what I mentioned.
Thanks for the info slowdryrider for when it ever happens to me.. knock on wood..
would that work the same for 2017 ....

L

lamakomo

Jul 17, 2015
Slowdryrider.. I think you are my hero! I finally got a minute Monday to look into the shift motor. It was pretty filthy inside. Me not understanding it just ordered and replaced it. I installed it last night and so far, so good. I was able to complete the DCT reinitialize process which I couldn’t before. I will take it for a ride this weekend and see if it fixed for sure. Just want to say thanks!!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I finally got a minute Monday to look into the shift motor. It was pretty filthy inside. Me not understanding it just ordered and replaced it. I installed it last night and so far, so good. I was able to complete the DCT reinitialize process which I couldn’t before. I will take it for a ride this weekend and see if it fixed for sure. Just want to say thanks!!
Glad it worked for you. It's amazing how that shift motor with the dirty armature creates all sorts of weird problems with the machine.

L

lamakomo

Jul 17, 2015
Glad it worked for you. It's amazing how that shift motor with the dirty armature creates all sorts of weird problems with the machine.
So that did cure my machine! I was able to but a few hours onto it over the weekend and never experienced any troubles! I’m so happy it was a relatively cheap and easy replacement. But I’d have never figured it out on my own, thanks again!!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
So that did cure my machine! I was able to but a few hours onto it over the weekend and never experienced any troubles! I’m so happy it was a relatively cheap and easy replacement. But I’d have never figured it out on my own, thanks again!!
Thanks for giving your feed back. The more people that are going to have problems like this [ and there's going to be] will hopefully realize that this is the problem and either clean up the shift motor or install a new one. Thanks again for letting me know.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
R

Rynoleum

Jul 11, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone. I have a 2016 pioneer. It will run fine for a few miles. Then the gear indicator starts flashing with a dash. And dies. Put it back in park. Starts up. Try to put it in gear and it dies. Do that a few times. Then it will start and let me put it in gear. But no matter what gear I put it in reverse. High or low. It shows 4. And it won’t move anywhere. Like it’s in neutral. I can manually shift and hear it shift. Watch the number change But it’s just stuck in neutral. If I let it sit over 30 minutes. Start it up and runs fine. FYI 2016 1000 with 10k miles
Mine is doing similar but it doesn't show "4" in the indicator. Just acts like its in neutral. I'm swapping shift motor today to see if it solves my issue.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mine is doing similar but it doesn't show "4" in the indicator. Just acts like its in neutral. I'm swapping shift motor today to see if it solves my issue.
Just FYI that member hasnt been on the forum in 2 yrs

Reactions: slowdryrider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!