P1000 '18 P1k5 Shifting at High RPMs for 1st 3rd and 5th

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I think we toasted the 1st and reverse gear clutch this past weekend. I had my wife driving our P1k5 while we were doing yard work and cutting down some trees. I had the Pioneer strapped to the tree to put some tension on it so it would fall the way I wanted, and my wife was driving. After we were done she made comment about it being hard to shift, so I jumped in and sure enough it did not want to move till the RPMs got up to about 2500-3000rpms.

The Pioneer has 380 miles on it, and I check all the fluids and they were not low. I currently have 26" ture sized tires on the unit (they are same diameter as stock) Last time I actual drove the Pioneer everything worked good (the previous weekend). Is there anything else I should check before I order a clutch kit and get to tearing the machine down to replace the clutches?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

• Sad
Reactions: CumminsPusher
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I think we toasted the 1st and reverse gear clutch this past weekend. I had my wife driving our P1k5 while we were doing yard work and cutting down some trees. I had the Pioneer strapped to the tree to put some tension on it so it would fall the way I wanted, and my wife was driving. After we were done she made comment about it being hard to shift, so I jumped in and sure enough it did not want to move till the RPMs got up to about 2500-3000rpms.

The Pioneer has 380 miles on it, and I check all the fluids and they were not low. I currently have 26" ture sized tires on the unit (they are same diameter as stock) Last time I actual drove the Pioneer everything worked good (the previous weekend). Is there anything else I should check before I order a clutch kit and get to tearing the machine down to replace the clutches?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
for s***s and giggles i would try this.

Reactions: Mudwing
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tired that and it fails and now the MT AT light stays on.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Did the overheat light come on? It's much harder to smoke the clutches on machines that have the updated clutch covers.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that I saw, the wife was using it and she killed up saying it was shifting funny. By the time I got in there were no lights.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also here is this

Reactions: TripleB
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately we were not out having fun. We were using the pioneer to do yard work. At the time we were cutting some trees down and had the pioneer tied to the tree to put some tension on it. I think she was on the gas pulling on the tree while I was cutting it with the chain saw.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also here is this

Thank you for such a great write up. I have been reading it to decided if I should tackle changing the clutches out. I am about to place the order for the parts.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Unfortunately we were not out having fun. We were using the pioneer to do yard work. At the time we were cutting some trees down and had the pioneer tied to the tree to put some tension on it. I think she was on the gas pulling on the tree while I was cutting it with the chain saw.

Ah dammit that sounds like the culprit. You can slip the clutches much longer on the updated rigs but only so far. That would be a perfect job for winch then take off when needed.
and on the write up no problem. It was a bit of a hell Mary the first time without any instruction but not horrible. Its really not bad if someone is mechanically inclined. just read over the guide well because there are a couple easy to miss steps. Rear floorboard is the worst part imho now. Pressure wash everything the best you can both before and after you get the plastics off and go to town. If you’re methodical through it you’ll have good success.
Also look around online for the clutch basket, much better deals then at the stealership to be had.

Reactions: TripleB
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to close this out with the fix, I changed out the 1st gear clutches with the great instructions that @CumminsPusher wrote up. It took me 4 tries to get the gears and clutches to seat properly back into the transmission. But its all together and working great. Thanks for everyone help in working through the problem. Everyone on here is so helpfully!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just to close this out with the fix, I changed out the 1st gear clutches with the great instructions that @CumminsPusher wrote up. It took me 4 tries to get the gears and clutches to seat properly back into the transmission. But its all together and working great. Thanks for everyone help in working through the problem. Everyone on here is so helpfully!
That is really good to hear!

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!