P1000 1st ride with new 2021 Pk3 not so wonderful

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Just bought a 2021 P1000-3 last week. First ride this morning, after about 6 miles oil light comes on. Manual says two reasons for this: Low oil or emergency valve.
Checked the oil, it was fine. Did the procedure for the emergency valve. Started it , oil light still on. Tried to baby it back to the truck and trailer, had to rev it a little to get it moving, wouldn't get out of second gear, after a couple minutes it died. It started back up and died after a few seconds. After a 5-mile walk to get the truck & trailer, it started long enough to get it on trailer. Going back to the dealer this week.
Wondering what would cause this. Anyone have this experience?

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Just bought a 2021 P1000-3 last week. First ride this morning, after about 6 miles oil light comes on. Manual says two reasons for this: Low oil or emergency valve.
Checked the oil, it was fine. Did the procedure for the emergency valve. Started it , oil light still on. Tried to baby it back to the truck and trailer, had to rev it a little to get it moving, wouldn't get out of second gear, after a couple minutes it died. It started back up and died after a few seconds. After a 5-mile walk to get the truck & trailer, it started long enough to get it on trailer. Going back to the dealer this week.
Got it back from the dealer. Loose battery cables were the problem. Doing the procedure for the emergency valve just put it in limp mode. Lesson learned.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One positive of doing a ton of upgrades before really riding a unit is you get a good chance to look it over and these things need a good look over QC is lacking.

H

HondaTech

When screwing in the emergency valve the machine will stay locked in 2nd gear and take alot of rpm to move.

Sounds like your dealer needs their QC/setup department fired.

Another s*** dealer giving the best products a bad name.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
When screwing in the emergency valve the machine will stay locked in 2nd gear and take alot of rpm to move.

Sounds like your dealer needs their QC/setup department fired.

Another s*** dealer giving the best products a bad name.
Yeah, they laid it off on Honda manufacturing's QC department. They also said the shift cables were loose.

Well, at least I got a little education on what to look for.

H

HondaTech

Yeah, they laid it off on Honda manufacturing's QC department. They also said the shift cables were loose.

Well, at least I got a little education on what to look for.

The dealer is the last line before the customer gets the unit.

Their are 4 people at the dealership whose job it is to make sure these problems don't get to you.
The Setup Guy
The Service Manager
The Sales Manager
And one more guy who double checks the setup guy.

This is inexcusable in my opinion. Especially 5 model years into 1000 production. They don't care and it shows.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
The dealer is the last line before the customer gets the unit.

Their are 4 people at the dealership whose job it is to make sure these problems don't get to you.
The Setup Guy
The Service Manager
The Sales Manager
And one more guy who double checks the setup guy.

This is inexcusable in my opinion. Especially 5 model years into 1000 production. They don't care and it shows.
Agree!

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad it was simple, enjoy it 😊

Ok I have to ask...I’ve not heard of the “emergency valve”, what is that please?

H

HondaTech

Glad it was simple, enjoy it 😊

Ok I have to ask...I’ve not heard of the “emergency valve”, what is that please?

On the rear of the engine is a large brass flat head screw. If you loosen the hold down bolt and plate you turn the brass screw all the way in (don't force it or tighten it down alot).

This locks the Pioneer in 2nd gear to get you back to wherever in case the transmission fails. Since you can't burn the 2nd clutch up it bypasses the 1st clutch.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m sure I read the operating manual at least twice cover to cover on my 2016, I don’t recall that. I’ll have dig it out.

Thanks man,

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now I discovered that I have the California model. Not really a dealbreaker for me, but it would be nice if the dealer disclosed that to me when I bought it.

As far as I recall the only difference on the CA model is the gas tank vent. If I recall correctly the CA model is a closed loop system so you don’t have to extend that vent line like the rest of us do.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On the rear of the engine is a large brass flat head screw. If you loosen the hold down bolt and plate you turn the brass screw all the way in (don't force it or tighten it down alot).

This locks the Pioneer in 2nd gear to get you back to wherever in case the transmission fails. Since you can't burn the 2nd clutch up it bypasses the 1st clutch.
I wouldn’t say “can’t” burn the even clutches, my last machine did. But I’ll agree it’s very uncommon.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
So, took it for its first ride after being in the shop, drove it about 2 miles the oil light came on again. I checked the battery cables and checked the ground under the passenger driver seat. Started it up again and drove it 100 feet and the oil light came back on. Back at the dealers again. This is getting frustrating. Was not overheated and it had the proper amount of oil.

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!