P1000 1st service nearly $600!!!!! WTH!!!!!

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 1st oil change on my P1K-5 is still 80 miles away. I plan on doing the work myself, I have watched a couple of videos on this. My question is do I have to do anything special to reset the computer so it knows I have changed the oil? Thanks in advance.

Jim
This is in the owner's manual, it is an easy process. With the machine off, push and hold the mode button on the display, turn the key on but don't start. The wrench will flash and go away. After your wrench comes on for break in service, you reset it. It then counts down to when you get wrench1. Once you do that and reset it again, it counts down to wrench2. Each time you reset the maint reminder, it starts to count down to the next service. You will never see the single wrench again, just wrench1 and wrench 2 alternating. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not work at a dealership either but after buying toys for 35 years I have been told by their employees a bit of info. New machines are sold for retail, and there is little room to flex, they make money but the smallest amount per unit. Used machines can be priced higher than "blue book" and have more room to negotiate, they make a medium amount each unit. What $ they brought it in for, compared to what $ it sold for. Service...they make bank and pay lot's of bills from that income. If this is wrong, sorry but I have been told many times, the Service dept is where money is made.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most dealers will over charge you and half ass the job.

That’s a bit of an insulting comment about people you don’t even know!

I know of several dealers that I have do work for me and like everything, most do them try and do good work and yes there are a few bad eggs, but so is life. I wouldn’t throw everyone in the bad category. If you haven’t found a great dealer, you ought to keep looking instead of slamming with such a broad brush. Great dealers are out there.

Personally, in my younger days I worked a number of dealers and I know that I did good work and most (not all) around me did great work and worked hard to satisfy our customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only way to be sure it's done right is to do it yourself and none of it is that difficult. Dealer hasn't seen my machine since the day I loaded it on the trailer.

Thought you had to have the first service done in order to keep warranty in force?

When I picked up my new P1000-5 SE, the service department was "stressed" to the max. Seemed under staffed. I waited for well over an hour to get my machine out of service and onto my trailer. They didn't offer a walk through and I didn't ask for one, as I would have liked, as I was tired of waiting and just wanted to get it home.

I would assume, due to our current economic idiocracy, with often more money to be had staying at home rather than working, that understaffing may be a common problem.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thought you had to have the first service done in order to keep warranty in force?

When I picked up my new P1000-5 SE, the service department was "stressed" to the max. Seemed under staffed. I waited for well over an hour to get my machine out of service and onto my trailer. They didn't offer a walk through and I didn't ask for one, as I would have liked, as I was tired of waiting and just wanted to get it home.

I would assume, due to our current economic idiocracy, with often more money to be had staying at home rather than working, that understaffing may be a common problem.
I was also curious about this. I don't want to give the dealer any more money, but am coming up on the 100 mile mark on my 520 and debating on just doing the oil myself, checking the fluid levels, and leaving the valves alone. Definitely don't want to mess with the warranty at this point though...

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I was also curious about this. I don't want to give the dealer any more money, but am coming up on the 100 mile mark on my 520 and debating on just doing the oil myself, checking the fluid levels, and leaving the valves alone. Definitely don't want to mess with the warranty at this point though...
Change your own oil and keep the receipts. They can't void your warranty for changing your own oil.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only way to be sure it's done right is to do it yourself and none of it is that difficult. Dealer hasn't seen my machine since the day I loaded it on the trailer.

All great if you have the skills and tools, which many on here do, but not all.

Often we hear of people stripping bolts or drain plugs, over or under filling, wrong oils, putting the oil filter together incorrectly, pinching o-rings, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just had first service completed on my 1000-5 yesterday. Dropped it off at dealer at 9:30 and picked it up at 5:00. $315 Didn't require valve check. They also did linkage adjustment since turf mode hadn't worked since we purchased and was done as a warranty item.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Dealerships are struggling to survive without new inventory to sell. They are not government subsidized like so many lazy Americans are and are not charities. They have to make a profit some way.

My Honda dealer is a pretty good one but I have to tow the buggy 150 miles to use them.

It's extremely difficult to hire and train anyone who will show up every day and if the dealer can find them the kids grew up with iPhones. They aren't instinctively interested in motor vehicles like my generation (long ago) was. Dealers have to settle for ""techs" who have an iPhone in one hand and are texting while changing oil.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!