H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Talon is amazing. I'm doing my 3rd oil change and its easy. I made a under roof snorkel as I do on most of my side by sides and clean it at every oil change. The original air filters on my 2016 YXZ are still clean at 20,018 miles. So is my 2016 Pioneer 1000 with 18,600 and some miles. I added a under the hood pre filter. I moved the rear Tender Spring crossover rings up 1/2 inch, 7 turns on the rear shocks. Did 4 more turns, for a total of 11 turns. Moved the front tender crossover rings up 4 turns. I removed the sway bar too. The suspension is great on the low speed washboard. I can still reduce the tire pressure from 12 and 14 to 8 and 10 but its easy to damage a tire with the low pressure.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
@hondabob how is the body roll with the sway bar removed? I have a lot of body roll on my RZR but only at higher speeds so I can live with it for the better ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I also would like to see a picture of your prefilter and snorkle setup.

I am waiting for RC2 to make a filter for the Talon as it is a reusable type and very efficient.

Reactions: JACKAL and BWAF
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The body roll is about the same as my RZR, Teryx, Wolverine, YXZ, Pioneer 1000, and Rhino. For trail riding and rock crawling it makes for a much better ride. Its easy to remove and reinstall if you don't like it. The stock Talon air filter may protect your engine better then any aftermarket filter. There may be room to install a small pre air filter on the 3 inch tube that extends inside the air box. My buddy did something like that but I haven't seen his pre filter yet. I couldn't get the install instructions without buying the snorkel kit so I made my own. I will make some improvements but I used the parts I had on hand. I used a 3 inch tube and hose. There is just enough room for a 3 inch hole for the tube I used.

20190421 063200 resized 3
20190421 124352 resized 1
20190421 124411 resized 1
20190421 130220 resized 1
20190421 162258 resized 1
20190421 162314 resized 1
20190422 172055 resized
5 2

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
That looks great. Your plumbing is good! I'd try to use more filter area if I could. Measure what the stock filter area is and double it for the prefilter, if leaving both installed in series.

Reactions: BWAF
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does it make any noise right behind passengers head. It looks like Honda has worked hard to silence intake with the added chambers (can't remember technical name).
Again my RZR intake makes so much noise I can't hear anything else not even the exhaust. Hope you are not tired about comparing with RZR.

Reactions: BWAF
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am thinking about using the SB Particle Separator as soon as they get one designed for the Talon.

All reports say great things about them and no worry about a air restriction..DRK

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
No intake noise and no problem at WOT above 70 mph. I agree the SB Particle Separator will be a good choice and I expect it will come up through the plastic a bit more outboard then where I routed mine and with a 4 inch tube. The guys I ride with have them on the Maverick Turbo's and RZR 1000's. One available snorkel kit requires a 4 inch hole in the airbox and it has duel intakes. The other one won't give out the install instructions. "The manufacturer as some proprietary information on their snorkel kits will not release the install instructions to us, they are only supplied with the purchased kit." That was a deal breaker so I made my own plus I wanted to keep the stock intake and just add on to it for a clean air location up under the roof.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looked over the air intake area on the right side looks like they could not have put it in more dust/dirt. The entire area is open to dust under machine. Side vent also feeds right into this same spot. Looks like to me it would have been better to pick up air on the top of bed area instead of below.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree with DAJO on the intake being in a poor location for dust.
I have a full windshield and rear window, so I collect a lot of dust in the rear bed area also.
My fix will be the RC2 air filter and the SB particle separator.
Both of these units are still in the design stage, but should be ready real soon.
SB said they would notify me when it is available.

H

HondaTech

Looked over the air intake area on the right side looks like they could not have put it in more dust/dirt. The entire area is open to dust under machine. Side vent also feeds right into this same spot. Looks like to me it would have been better to pick up air on the top of bed area instead of below.

The side vent is open to feed air into the snorkel, if you look on the drivers side the vent is blocked.

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
The drivers side vent feeds cooling air down across a huge diode heatsink. No intake air is fed thru drivers side vent.

Reactions: nm6r
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm considering an S&B Particle Separator as well when they become available. I've got almost 350 miles on my machine and am on filter #2 and have a 3rd filter in the garage on deck. Granted, 125 of those miles were a single weekend trip that was so dusty it was nearly unbearable so I'm expecting filter #2 to last quite a bit longer.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If you don't follow in the dust all you need is to get to the clean air up high near the roof. The $140 snorkel kit will make a huge difference. At 4,000 miles my Uni Pre Filter is still ok and I should get to 6,000 miles or more before I replace it or clean and oil it. One of the guys installed the snorkel with pictures and it looked good.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the S&B Partical Separator installed on my Talon X all except the electrical, which I will finish tomorrow.
I decided not to wait for them to design one for the Talon and ordered the one for a Polaris 1000S.

My thought being that they would not have a kit developed for the Talon with a full safety glass rear window.
With the rear window there is no cross bar to attach it to and I cut a hole in my top at the rear over hang and close up to the window. I then added a cross bar to mount the unit. I also made my own mounts.

I will post pictures in a couple of days....DRK

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Along with the snorkels.. did you also run vent lines for the trans, rear ends and fans..?

robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the S&B Partical Separator installed on my Talon X all except the electrical, which I will finish tomorrow.
I decided not to wait for them to design one for the Talon and ordered the one for a Polaris 1000S.

My thought being that they would not have a kit developed for the Talon with a full safety glass rear window.
With the rear window there is no cross bar to attach it to and I cut a hole in my top at the rear over hang and close up to the window. I then added a cross bar to mount the unit. I also made my own mounts.

I will post pictures in a couple of days....DRK
Ever get any pictures of the install?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!