BOX1

P500 2-Year Coolant Change????

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
New owners. My 2020 P500 has 34 hours and 350 miles. Never been in water deeper than the tread.

The manual says to replace this every 2-years:
- Front and rear gear oil
- Coolant
- Brake fluid

That seems like overkill to me.

Thoughts and experience appreciated.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
New owners. My 2020 P500 has 34 hours and 350 hours. Never been in water deeper than the tread.

The manual says to replace this every 2-years:
- Front and rear gear oil
- Coolant
- Brake fluid

That seems like overkill to me.

Thoughts and experience appreciated.
U meant 34hrs and 350miles right! 😂
I have over 3,800 miles and its a 16’ and haven't changed coolant on my rig. Just check it preferably with coolant tester for purity when u change ur oil is good, and look for any discoloration or any debris in the coolant. If all that checks out, your good.

Almost forgot lol
Welcome from Michigan!
We have a request when you join, actually rule #4 called post pics of proof of machine or…..
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! 🥳

Start a new thread as an intro and info about your rig, you and pics! We like pics

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, 350 MILES. I corrected it. Thanks. I need another cup of coffee!!

After sun is up I'll a few pics. It's just a stock 2020 camo model.

Not sure what you mean by "purity" of the coolant. Just use a coolant tester to confirm the concentration?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes, 350 MILES. I corrected it. Thanks. I need another cup of coffee!!

After sun is up I'll a few pics. It's just a stock 2020 camo model.

Not sure what you mean by "purity" of the coolant. Just use a coolant tester to confirm the concentration?
Even if its stock everyone thinks its cool to see pics! ;)

when a shop, oil change place or dealer, when they do a 100 point inspection they use a ”coolant tester” that checks the acidicness of the coolant aka purity of coolant to Determine if it has broken down and worthy of a change. The advancement of coolant have come so far these days that the old intervals of changing is nonexistent.
manufactures put intervals in there manuals cuz they are required to and for the folks that dont care then try and come after them when they distroy there rig from stupidity lol.
here is a link to the tester I have used for years when i was an auto mechanic. There are many others that do the job as well.

4-in-1 DEF Antifreeze Coolant Refractometer for Automobile Antifreeze System, Diesel Exhaust Fluid, Battery Acid and Windshield Washer Fluid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLDZFJX/?tag=sxsweb24-20

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Even if its stock everyone thinks its cool to see pics! ;)

when a shop, oil change place or dealer, when they do a 100 point inspection they use a ”coolant tester” that checks the acidicness of the coolant aka purity of coolant to Determine if it has broken down and worthy of a change. The advancement of coolant have come so far these days that the old intervals of changing is nonexistent.
manufactures put intervals in there manuals cuz they are required to and for the folks that dont care then try and come after them when they distroy there rig from stupidity lol.
here is a link to the tester I have used for years when i was an auto mechanic. There are many others that do the job as well.

4-in-1 DEF Antifreeze Coolant Refractometer for Automobile Antifreeze System, Diesel Exhaust Fluid, Battery Acid and Windshield Washer Fluid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLDZFJX/?tag=sxsweb24-20
A "Refractometer". Well, that's a new one on me! Read up on it a bit, but don't see how it tells you the anit-freeze is not corrosive.

I an old fart and familiar with Phoenix Test Strips, which gives you pH reading of the coolant. Same thing?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A "Refractometer". Well, that's a new one on me!

I an old fart and familiar with Phoenix Test Strips, which gives you pH reading of the coolant. Same thing?
Yup. The one i use is more accurate, reusable and versatile. like i said, there are many other types that do the same thing.

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Well, after sun up yesterday is a long time!!!!

Me riding in "Scooter"!

512342E9 6B8D 452A 893C 61C577FC6781

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!