BOX1

BRed 2010 Big Red timing or decompression issue?

S

Stmbch

Sep 23, 2015
Looking for some ideas. I have a 2010 big red that has been going through starters. I have put 3 on in the last 6 months and the last one I did is bad now. Currently the machine will only turn over one time and stop. I checked the valves and they are moving. I had been buying the cheap $100ish ones and thought that might be my problem so the last one I bought was a Honda starter. The machine cranks hard and seems to kick back against the starter (which I think is causing them to fail). I rebuilt this motor personally two years ago and the problem is getting worse. I have two other big reds that I have rebuilt and they don’t have any issues so before I condem the machine I would like some suggestions. Thank you for any input.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you go to stock specs on compression during the rebuild?

Do you really think the machine is "kicking back"- IE firing well before the Piston is at TDC? If thats the case, the only thing I could think of is if the flywheel has somehow shifted on the crank (which triggers the crank position sensor). A long shot might me some type of inductence from other wires running too close to the crank sensor wires...but that type of problem was dealt with in the early days of fuel injection.

These engines do have a decompression device on the cam. If you think the promblem is simply struggling to get passed TDC, that's where I would start looking.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
In the back of my mind I thought I remember the Big Red / Rincon shearing the flywheels key.
Google it and check, that's going back a ways for me, memory isn't what I once imagined it was.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
In the back of my mind I thought I remember the Big Red / Rincon shearing the flywheels key.
Google it and check, that's going back a ways for me, memory isn't what I once imagined it was.
Hmm...

I know the BR seemed to eat starters. The Pioneer 700, to my knowledge, doesn't seem to have those issues. Wonder what they changed?

Also: @HondaTech

S

Stmbch

Sep 23, 2015
All stock compressio
Did you go to stock specs on compression during the rebuild?

Do you really think the machine is "kicking back"- IE firing well before the Piston is at TDC? If thats the case, the only thing I could think of is if the flywheel has somehow shifted on the crank (which triggers the crank position sensor). A long shot might me some type of inductence from other wires running too close to the crank sensor wires...but that type of problem was dealt with in the early days of fuel injection.

These engines do have a decompression device on the cam. If you think the promblem is simply struggling to get passed TDC, that's where I would start looking.
Well, I said kick back for lack of a better term. If the flywheel has shifted that would make sense. It acts like it’s out of time. Thanks

S

Stmbch

Sep 23, 2015
All stock compressio

Well, I said kick back for lack of a better term. If the flywheel has shifted that would make sense. It acts like it’s out of time. Thanks
And yes it is all stock

S

Stmbch

Sep 23, 2015
Hmm...

I know the BR seemed to eat starters. The Pioneer 700, to my knowledge, doesn't seem to have those issues. Wonder what they changed?

Also: @HondaTech
I have a 2014 pioneer and they definitely spin over faster and start better than the big reds ever did. I am in South Dakota so even in the cold it fires right up.

S

Stmbch

Sep 23, 2015
Thank you I will look into it.

A

Aaron19762

Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
I thought I read somewhere that Honda had changed the starters.
I got one has been through a few last time only few weeks ago oem starter and touqre limiter one way bearing it smasher the magnets in about 6 starts

A

Aaron19762

Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
It’s not the Stator runs great just smashes the starter magnets bit lost with it

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I haven't really heard about many Pioneer 700's with this issue (same engine). I wonder if you could use one for a Pioneer...or if the starter is even different?

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
I have a 2014 pioneer and they definitely spin over faster and start better than the big reds ever did. I am in South Dakota so even in the cold it fires right up.
I’m in SD too. Installed a second battery in parallel and that took care of any kickback.

Last edited:
N

nhinze

Aug 2, 2016
Giddings
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-3

3. Big Red
Hondarider..has installing the second battery still taken care of the kickback issue?
Anyone else have any solutions/ideas?
I have put 3 starters on my 2012 Big Red in the last 2 years...great machine other than that issue.

S

Samre

Jan 30, 2021
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
two batteries did not help mine. Even jumping with a larger battery.

S

Samre

Jan 30, 2021
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
I can remove the spark plug, spin it a few times . Then put a new spark plug in and it cranks fine. Until the next time.

S

sierrahotel117

Sep 23, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Big Red
Going through a similar issue with a 2012. It won't start anymore and seems like it kick backs or cannot get over TDC. Turns over once or twice, then stops with every turn of the key. New battery, same issue. I checked the compression at it is 130 PSI, spec is 80 PSI at 350 RPM. That leads me to believe that the decompression cam is not functioning. I would be curious to know what your cylinder compression is. I imagine that this issue is putting quite a load on my starter and maybe the same thing is happening with yours.

Reactions: Mudwing