BOX1

BRed 2012 Big Red starter short?

S

sncr01

Apr 17, 2016
kellogg, mn
My 2012 BR MUV has been rock solid since i got it 4 years ago but have had a string of bad luck here when I took it in for a oil change and maintenance 2 weeks ago. When I got it back it ran for about 5 minutes and then quit shifting. There was a significant amount of oil draining so it got shut off and taken back. An O ring was pinched during the oil change. After getting it back it ran for maybe a half hour and now it will not start. Turning the key only dims the panel lights. Battery is good. I checked the started solenoid and that seems fine. I did put a screw driver across the lugs and the starter does not turn. My question is if there anything that could be affected by getting an oil bath? Hopefully it isn't something seized up :-(
Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club..
The BR starters have seemed to be a issue.
I will assume you had a decent spark when you bridged the solenoid?
Most likely you need to replace the starter. Rebuilding is not recommended as those who have, found the magnets came loose on the walls thus making a rebuild pointless.
But before all that. Check the main grounds just for giggles. Hate for a loose wire to be the issue.
You can also pull it off and hook 12v to it. But even if it spins you can't really test it with a load.
Be sure to report back what you find out.
Thanks.

S

sncr01

Apr 17, 2016
kellogg, mn
You were right on with your diagnosis. The started had gone bad. The service tech said the magnets had broken apart just like you had warned. I picked it up over the weekend and it is working just fine. Hats off for your help and reassurance!!

Reactions: Tflynn and Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent.
It was past members who delivered that info...
Glad the club could help.
Thanks.

HarrisQ

HarrisQ

May 2, 2016
Salisbury, MD
Our starter was slow cranking (
) for months then two weeks ago it wouldn't crank at all. So, we just replaced our starter this past weekend. It is not a fun job because there is not much room to work.

Reactions: popsstuff
P

popsstuff

Sep 26, 2016
Youngsville,la
Ownership

1. Big Red
Our starter was slow cranking (
) for months then two weeks ago it wouldn't crank at all. So, we just replaced our starter this past weekend. It is not a fun job because there is not much room to work.
I see you replaced your starter, did you take it out from the top or from under

B

Baldwin

Dec 6, 2016
Australia
Ownership

1. Big Red
I'm trying to undo/remove the starter motor on my big red, but can't seem to get in there very easily, does anyone know the secret?

T

Txnglf

Jul 6, 2017
Snowball, AR
Ownership

1. Big Red
Just removed mine and removed the two bolts from the top first with the cable still connected. Jiggle, pull, wiggle, and pull the starter motor toward the front to break the seal of the O ring and once the motor is free you can remove the nut and free the cable. The freed starter motor can be lowered and removed from below.

D

Danm

Sep 18, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Big Red
Just removed mine and removed the two bolts from the top first with the cable still connected. Jiggle, pull, wiggle, and pull the starter motor toward the front to break the seal of the O ring and once the motor is free you can remove the nut and free the cable. The freed starter motor can be lowered and removed from below.

I have got to replace my starter and don't see how I can ever get my hand in to shake it loose. Has anyone seen a video anyplace of someone replacing a starter?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
seems to me the guy jiggled and wiggled it and probably pulled the cable and spayed the "knocker loose"juice on it and wiggled and giggled some more and lowered it from below.
But Know I have not seen a video,I tried looking.
It's time for you to get a service manual, now that it's 4 years old.

D

Danm

Sep 18, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Big Red
Well after an hour of wiggling and jiggling I still don't have the starter off. It seem to be stuck dead. If it is this hard to get off how do you ever get the new one on. The Honda engineer who designed this starter location should be shot. Oh well I guess I will go back and wiggle some more. The skin should grow back on my arms in a month or two.

M

Muskles

Sep 25, 2017
US
Well after an hour of wiggling and jiggling I still don't have the starter off. It seem to be stuck dead. If it is this hard to get off how do you ever get the new one on. The Honda engineer who designed this starter location should be shot. Oh well I guess I will go back and wiggle some more. The skin should grow back on my arms in a month or two.
Any luck? I think I'm having the same problem. Where is the starter located? Did you have to pull the center console?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk