2012 pioneer skid plate

M

Monteman456

Jan 17, 2021
Cortez Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5. Iwas doing some work underneath and noticed all the holes in the skid plate. I have noticed last year riding lots of dust boiling up into the cabin. I covered 16 holes with duct tape. Has anyone else noticed this? Why did Honda make the skid plate full of holes?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5. Iwas doing some work underneath and noticed all the holes in the skid plate. I have noticed last year riding lots of dust boiling up into the cabin. I covered 16 holes with duct tape. Has anyone else noticed this? Why did Honda make the skid plate full of holes?
JesseWhat

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to take a wild guess that this is your first foray into the off road world. The holes are pretty minimal and put there intentionally. Some provide access to things like drain plugs for oil. Others provide a little help with the heat generated by the motor and transmission above it.

The factory skid plate isn't much of a skid plate though. It really does more to keep small sticks and small rocks from being thrown against the expensive parts above it than it does to slide the belly of the machine over a rock ledge or log or an impact. If you stick to mostly well groomed trails, dirt roads, forest service roads etc it will do the job. If you start getting into ruts or ledges or rocks or other belly dragging/smacking items then you would be wise to get an aftermarket skid plate ordered and installed prior to learning the hard way it wasn't adequate.

Welcome to the club.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Red is the fastest color.

#NTC

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've used used this in the past, works great!!
61KukVnBzVL AC SY355

And for those hard to reach spots.....
Screenshot 2021 02 02 00 09 562

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
For real though... when you say "dust was boiling up into the cab", do you have a windshield? These are not sealed up like a car/truck. They are designed to drain water/mud/etc. When you were under there duct taping holes, did you happen to notice that the entire underside of the vehicle is basically a "hole"? You can pop your seat off or lift the bed and see directly through the vehicle.

Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys are 2 much my eyes are watery lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!