AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
A couple years ago I purchased this 2014 700 used with low miles. We have never had any issues with it. Last week we drove it down to the woods to work on the treehouse and when we went to leave it would not start. Cranks over just fine, but no start. First we tried filling it full of fresh fuel. When that didn't work we used the 1000 to drag it back up to the shop. Once there i checked for spark. After getting knocked on my ass and giving every one else a good chuckle I decided the spark was sufficient. Did some research online and decided maybe there was water in the fuel. Last night i disconnected the fuel line at the injector and ran about a quart of gas out. There was no water in it, fuel looked fine. Evidently the fuel pump is working well also. It filled the quart container rather quickly when i was cranking it so I'm assuming the filters are not plugged. So i have good spark and fuel right up the injector. Any thoughts? It will be 4 or 5 days before I can get back over to the farm. I'm trying to come up with a list of possibilities to check before I get back over there. I see there are several wire clips in that area. I have no idea which is what and how to check them.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
3 things to run:
Spark
Fuel/air mixture
Compression

Sounds like the spark is ok, but do you just grab the plug? Are you seeing spark at the plug? Plugs are cheap, and can really throw you for a loop, so I'd replace it just to make sure.

Sounds like the Fuel pump is at least running. Try pulling the air filter and spritzing some gas/brake clean/starting fluid (gentle with that last one) in the intake while cranking? If it lights off for a second, then we know it's fuel related. In that case, try pulling the injector out and see if it sprays (while the line is attached).

As far as compression, does it sound normal when cranking? A back-yard test is the old finger in the hole, but you really need a compression gauge to know for sure here. Spec is 80 psi.

Let us know...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also...forgot to ask: is the check engine light flashing by chance?

Reactions: Mudwing
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Have you checked Air filter ( air in )
Some of the 2014 ' S had a baffle in the muffler break loose check by pulling Exhaust tip ( air out )

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have you checked Air filter ( air in )
Some of the 2014 ' S had a baffle in the muffler break loose check by pulling Exhaust tip ( air out )

Yep plugged exhaust has sent me down a few too many rabbit holes. You'd think I'd learn...

Anyway to the OP.... So....it was running fine with plenty of power before you turned it off?

AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Ok i did not pull the plug, just used a screw driver to check spark against the frame.
Compression sounds normal when cranking and the machine had plenty of power when it was being driven earlier in the day. Right now its not even trying to fire.
No check engine light blinking.
Air filter looked good.
I have not checked the muffler.
Thank you to everyone that has chimed/will chime in. I can't get back over there until next week but I will make sure to update this post after my next attempt.

AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I tried ether and it did not start. So I pulled the plug and it looked pretty rough. But it did spark against the frame. I put in a new plug. Still would not start. I also pulled the exhaust off in case the muffler baffle collapsed. Still no start. Looked at all the small fuses. They looked fine.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Buy a Honda Service manual.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The manual is super helpful bud. If you want to do your own repairs, worth every dollar.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
The manual is super helpful bud. If you want to do your own repairs, worth every dollar.
I agree 100 percent, not to mention it will help you to have confidence in repairing your rig while out and no one is available for a quick answer.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
A little google searching can find the 2014 FSM for free. It's also available here, but I believe you have to be some type of member to download it.

AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Update: In case anyone is interested it looks like the cam chain tensioner failed in my 2014 Pioneer 700. Looking back it did develop a tick in the days prior to failure. I thought it had an exhaust leak. Evidently the timing was off from the loose chain. In the end it grenaded the engine. Needs new crankshaft, camshaft, valves, chain, etc etc. oh and it somehow destroyed the torque converter also. Dealer things it will be about $3800 to repair. This engine had very low hours. Now I have to decide whether to get it fixed or have a large paperweight.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Update: In case anyone is interested it looks like the cam chain tensioner failed in my 2014 Pioneer 700. Looking back it did develop a tick in the days prior to failure. I thought it had an exhaust leak. Evidently the timing was off from the loose chain. In the end it grenaded the engine. Needs new crankshaft, camshaft, valves, chain, etc etc. oh and it somehow destroyed the torque converter also. Dealer things it will be about $3800 to repair. This engine had very low hours. Now I have to decide whether to get it fixed or have a large paperweight.
That is crappy for sure, thank you for updating us.

Reactions: dilligaff82
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

If money is the hold up, maybe you can sniff out a used motor? There's bound to be a wrecked machine by the end of this summer with everyone shaking off the cabin (covid) fever. Maybe a longshot but it might save you a bunch.

• Haha
Reactions: caverat

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!