P500 2015 p500 shift problems

R

Rb40

Dec 23, 2017
Oregon/arizona
Ownership

1. 500
After pulling a rhino that had quit on a ride in Arizona several miles out of a nasty hole it stopped shifting, stuck in 5th gear, was close to the truck by then so just loaded up and hauled it home, we were headed home to Oregon in a couple of days to my shop where I have everything, including a forklift to get to working height, old joints don't like crawling around on the ground, so noticed oil leak at vs sensor, changed o ring, still no shift, changed vs sensor, still no shift, I finally tried shifting it manually with the tool, after shifting to neutral it would start and run and shift thru all gears, except in third it onely shows a "-" not flashing, after shifting several times it stopped shifting, went thru that sequence several times with same results, on to the shift spindle sensor, I have a factory shop manual, it says to check out wiring to shift spindle sensor, ok there, replace with known good sensor, ordered in a new one (called every dealer for 50 miles around, no one had one) another week gone by, changed it out, no change, still won't shift more than a few times, still onely shows - in gauge cluster when in 3rd gear, I have off the ground on forklift and seems to shift to 3rd but the 3 does not come up on shift indicator. One thing I failed to mention, it will crank but won't start in any gear but neutral even with the brake pedal pushed. Any ideas, we are headed to Alaska in about a month and need it to launch our boat in cook inlet, we have a back up but it is a rhino, can't believe a Honda let me down, been riding, racing, and playing with them since 1962. ------ help------

Reactions: Backwoods and JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
After pulling a rhino that had quit on a ride in Arizona several miles out of a nasty hole it stopped shifting, stuck in 5th gear, was close to the truck by then so just loaded up and hauled it home, we were headed home to Oregon in a couple of days to my shop where I have everything, including a forklift to get to working height, old joints don't like crawling around on the ground, so noticed oil leak at vs sensor, changed o ring, still no shift, changed vs sensor, still no shift, I finally tried shifting it manually with the tool, after shifting to neutral it would start and run and shift thru all gears, except in third it onely shows a "-" not flashing, after shifting several times it stopped shifting, went thru that sequence several times with same results, on to the shift spindle sensor, I have a factory shop manual, it says to check out wiring to shift spindle sensor, ok there, replace with known good sensor, ordered in a new one (called every dealer for 50 miles around, no one had one) another week gone by, changed it out, no change, still won't shift more than a few times, still onely shows - in gauge cluster when in 3rd gear, I have off the ground on forklift and seems to shift to 3rd but the 3 does not come up on shift indicator. One thing I failed to mention, it will crank but won't start in any gear but neutral even with the brake pedal pushed. Any ideas, we are headed to Alaska in about a month and need it to launch our boat in cook inlet, we have a back up but it is a rhino, can't believe a Honda let me down, been riding, racing, and playing with them since 1962. ------ help------
Not showing 3rd on the dash is definitely odd. See that you were towing when the issue occurred, I would perform the the clutch adjustment procedure to see if that helps. I assume you are shifting through the gears with the machine moving, and not sitting still? If that doesn't help, it may be dealer time:(. If you were lugging the engine while towing-using too high a gear- and making the clutch slip a lot, the clutch may be damaged- a Rhino is way over the rated towing capacity of the P500.... Hopefully adjusting the clutch will solve the issue. I adjusted mine wrong the first time I did it, and it would hang up and not shift, but it only did the blank gauge because it got hung up between gears, and I would have to cycle the key switch and rock the machine back and forth to get it to shift again- till I adjusted the clutch correctly:rolleyes:
Good Luck!

R

Rb40

Dec 23, 2017
Oregon/arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Not showing 3rd on the dash is definitely odd. See that you were towing when the issue occurred, I would perform the the clutch adjustment procedure to see if that helps. I assume you are shifting through the gears with the machine moving, and not sitting still? If that doesn't help, it may be dealer time:(. If you were lugging the engine while towing-using too high a gear- and making the clutch slip a lot, the clutch may be damaged- a Rhino is way over the rated towing capacity of the P500.... Hopefully adjusting the clutch will solve the issue. I adjusted mine wrong the first time I did it, and it would hang up and not shift, but it only did the blank gauge because it got hung up between gears, and I would have to cycle the key switch and rock the machine back and forth to get it to shift again- till I adjusted the clutch correctly:rolleyes:
Good Luck!

R

Rb40

Dec 23, 2017
Oregon/arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Good information, like you I had to do it twice but the second time I adjusted the clutch it seems to be back to normal except the 3rd gear - thing ? Any way now it seems to shift rite, starts in gear with brake pedal pushed , with mothers day tomorrow and kids, grands and great grands here i wont get back to it till monday to put it back together and test drive but it seems ok more after the test drive. Thank a bunch
DSCF1706

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Good information, like you I had to do it twice but the second time I adjusted the clutch it seems to be back to normal except the 3rd gear - thing ? Any way now it seems to shift rite, starts in gear with brake pedal pushed , with mothers day tomorrow and kids, grands and great grands here i wont get back to it till monday to put it back together and test drive but it seems ok more after the test drive. Thank a bunchView attachment 75421
Glad I could help! Just for the heck of it, unplug the ecm for a few minutes and plug it back in. I know that doesn't 'reset' the computer, but taking power away for a few minutes may clear the 'learned' memory. Careful plugging it back in- don't want to bend any pins- it's not real touchy, but make sure it's relatively clean before unplugging, and a little dielectric grease is always good to help keep the plugs sealed. It might not start normally after that, and it may idle weird for a few minutes, but that would be normal if it did clear the 'learned' memory. It will 're-learn' the idle, and may bring back the display. If that has no effect, you can take it to a dealer, and have them scan and record all the stored data- they can print you a copy of the info- good to have if you have problems later, and then have them perform the 'computer reset' which clears all the trouble codes (DTC's) and puts the computer back to the factory base settings, and they'll probably run it long enough to 're-learn' the base idle and starting parameters.

R

Rb40

Dec 23, 2017
Oregon/arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Glad I could help! Just for the heck of it, unplug the ecm for a few minutes and plug it back in. I know that doesn't 'reset' the computer, but taking power away for a few minutes may clear the 'learned' memory. Careful plugging it back in- don't want to bend any pins- it's not real touchy, but make sure it's relatively clean before unplugging, and a little dielectric grease is always good to help keep the plugs sealed. It might not start normally after that, and it may idle weird for a few minutes, but that would be normal if it did clear the 'learned' memory. It will 're-learn' the idle, and may bring back the display. If that has no effect, you can take it to a dealer, and have them scan and record all the stored data- they can print you a copy of the info- good to have if you have problems later, and then have them perform the 'computer reset' which clears all the trouble codes (DTC's) and puts the computer back to the factory base settings, and they'll probably run it long enough to 're-learn' the base idle and starting parameters.

Reactions: Gassygordo
R

Rb40

Dec 23, 2017
Oregon/arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I will try unplugging the ecm, thought I might as well pressure wash it and adjust the valves before putting it back together, I probably got a little carried away with tearing it down but sometimes the long way is actually the short way when you don't bend like you did 40 years ago, will let you know how it goes

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think you did take the long road for that one Rb40, lol! When I read the OP last night I thought, adjust the clutch. My machine stuck in 5th out on the trail too, started from a dead stop and drove it back to the trailhead that way, these things are so low geared. Gear indicator was jacked up too and showing - .
I experienced it as a problem as well but think it's really just a maintenance issue, like adjusting the valves. Makes sense that once the clutch gets seated and broken in that it would need an adjustment. Glad you got it worked out. ;)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I will try unplugging the ecm, thought I might as well pressure wash it and adjust the valves before putting it back together, I probably got a little carried away with tearing it down but sometimes the long way is actually the short way when you don't bend like you did 40 years ago, will let you know how it goes
Yah, the bending thing...:( Adjust the valves to the loose end of spec- always idle and start better. I just remembered something else too- if you have everything out of the way, extend your gas tank vent hose- somewhere else... higher the better. That vent location is one thing I think Honda screwed up on!

R

Rb40

Dec 23, 2017
Oregon/arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Yah, the bending thing...:( Adjust the valves to the loose end of spec- always idle and start better. I just remembered something else too- if you have everything out of the way, extend your gas tank vent hose- somewhere else... higher the better. That vent location is one thing I think Honda screwed up on!
Always good info from you guys, on the valve adjustment, I did mine first at about 400 miles, I haven't done since but you can tell if they need it by the jangley noise out of the upper end, it doesn't sound any indifferent but since I am rite there I will check it before putting it back together, as a by the by, back in the early to mid 60s I drag raced a Honda 305 bored to 350, turning 13 secs and 100 mph in 1/4 mile, very fast at the time, I turned that thing 14000 rpm hundreds of times, checked valve adjustment every week and maybe had to adjust twice a season, they don't usually change much, also for years I bought and sold 4/4 Honda quads, probably over 60 of them, if they had over 3 or 4 thousand miles on them I always adjusted the valve as part of the service, if they didn't jangle, they didn't need it, the wife and I have had several pairs of Rincons since 03 same thing, pioneer has about 5000, we will see and pass it along

D

Daryl2

Jun 17, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 500
I have a p500 that is two years old. When riding it operates the gears correctly and all is normal except when in 2 nd gear the dash only shows a small — instead of the numeral 2. Any advise on what and how to fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Daryl

Reactions: JWB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a p500 that is two years old. When riding it operates the gears correctly and all is normal except when in 2 nd gear the dash only shows a small — instead of the numeral 2. Any advise on what and how to fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Daryl

Clutch adjustment.
P500 - Pioneer 500 Clutch Adjustment (Video)

Reactions: JWB
D

Daryl2

Jun 17, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 500
Tried clutch adjustment and while it make changes smoother it did nothing to bring up the missing number 2 when in second gear. There must be a switch somewhere that picks up what gear it is in. All other gears are displayed correctly, but just a — is displayed when in second gear .
Any tips on how to word in the search criteria the issue I am trying to resolve.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Any tips on how to word in the search criteria the issue I am trying to resolve.
Look at the atv forums for Honda Rancher electric shift (ES) angle sensor adjustment.
Some of the posts that come up will be about cleaning the shift motor brushes, this is probably not your problem.

Reactions: Daryl2
D

Daryl2

Jun 17, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 500
Look at the atv forums for Honda Rancher electric shift (ES) angle sensor adjustment.
Some of the posts that come up will be about cleaning the shift motor brushes, this is probably not your problem.
Thanks Lee. I will look with your suggested wordings.

Ashleyp500

Ashleyp500

Feb 27, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone ever have any luck finding the issue? My 2016 p5 is now showing the - bar in 4th gear and I’ve replaced everything I can think of!

Reactions: monaco
D

dgarber84

Jan 16, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
i also have problems shifting neutral and 4th shows - will shift ok if not left in that gear to long. if to long no shift have
to stop and use tool to get going....thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!