BOX1

P1000 Product Update - 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN | Engine Balancer Driven Gear Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
July 2016
IMPORTANT NOTICE OF PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN

Dear Pioneer1000 Deluxe Owner:

What is the reason for this notice?

Honda is conducting a Product Update Campaign to inspect the engine balancer driven gear on certain 2016 model year SXS1000M5D vehicles. Our records indicate that you own an affected vehicle.

What is the problem?

A small number of vehicles have a mis-manufactured engine balancer driven gear that could cause the balancer shaft to break and stop the engine. Because your satisfaction with your Pioneer 1000 is important to us, Honda will inspect the engine balancer driven gear free of charge for parts and labor.

What should you do?

Please schedule an inspection appointment with an authorized Honda SxS vehicle dealer. Plan to leave your vehicle at the dealership for at least two days to allow for the inspection procedure. This Product Update Campaign ends the last day of July, 2017.

Who to contact for help:

Contact your Honda powersports dealer for help. Should you need assistance in locating a Honda dealer, please visit our website at: powersports.honda.com

Who to contact if you experience problem:

If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Motorcycle Customer Support
Mail Stop 100-4C-7B
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
(866) 784-1870

What to do if you feel this notice is in error:
This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this Pioneer 1000 or some information in this notice is incorrect, please fill out and return the included, postage-paid Information Change Card. This will help us to update our records. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for your Pioneer 1000 purchase and your cooperation.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Motorcycle Division

Hopefully this is an isolated issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Crow_Hunter
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any indication if this is a earlier in the model year or a fairly recent development?

No idea. I think the guy who runs the website that it was posted on is a member here. Maybe he can answer that. I'm not sure what is handle is.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Someone posted on FB that they had heard that is was only 40 units of the P1K-5D. Take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was wondering more if it was something that was a problem on earlier production range or something that could be a problem on any 2016 model.

It's just for the P1K-5D

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I was wondering more if it was something that was a problem on earlier production range or something that could be a problem on any 2016 model.
Now I got it... When my kids go to bed, I will be doing more research into this. And tomorrow I will speak to my case manager again; you know, so he doesn't forget about me...

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Many of us have them. This is the first I've heard of the problem. I wonder if this is what really happened to @CumminsPusher first ride.

Could be. The water in the system might have just been a symptom rather than a cause.

However, based on my normal "luck". Mine will lock up being put on the trailer.

Reactions: Stauvo
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Supposedly it was a machining issue where the locking pin that locks the gear in place is not machined properly. It won't lock the gear in place so only the bolt holds it.

I got this from someone on the FB post, so don't hold me to it's validity. Also, I would think they would catch that fairly quick off the production line if their NDI people were doing their jobs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Supposedly it was a machining issue where the locking pin that locks the gear in place is not machined properly. It won't lock the gear in place so only the bolt holds it.

I got this from someone on the FB post, so don't hold me to it's validity. Also, I would think they would catch that fairly quick off the production line if their NDI people were doing their jobs.
But I don't see how that would let water in

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which is what I am going to buy tomorrow!:eek:
Honda usually catches stuff quickly and eliminates the issue. If yours is affected - since you haven't picked it up - your dealer has to advise you per the service bulletin/recall notice so that he can tear into it to check the shaft. If he fails to notify you prior to leaving the lot now that Honda has posted the recall, he would be in a bad spot with no leg to stand on. I would ask if it was affected due to the dealers having to tear into the main black to check the shaft. If it was one of the few, I would ask for another unit. You have a right to know if they tore into your block. However, we (at least I) were awaiting the dreaded first year model issue, and this appears to be it. From what I am hearing it is a very, very small number of units affected - and only the deluxe models (which you are getting I believe?).

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do they have it narrowed down to a serial # range or know what serial numbers are affected?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do they have it narrowed down to a serial # range or know what serial numbers are affected?
They are sending letters out to affected owners.

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
Didn't we have a member post a month or so about a cracked case or engine housing, that to me could be the result of a balancer flying off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!