P500 2016 or newer?

M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all! New here and to pioneers! I'm looking at buying a new pioneer 500. In my search, I have found a 2016 model with a roof, mirrors, winch and some new tires. The unit has only 20 km on it, but is out of warranty because of the age. It is priced only slightly lower than a new unit with the automatic and a warranty with no other accessories... Will I miss the auto? Should I really worry about the warranty? Just looking for some opinions and advice...thanks

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome ...from Michigan, I have a2017 and I think I've used the automatic maybe 2 times and once was when I bought it there's something about the paddle shifters that I like and as far as the warranty haven't had any problems or heard of to many
They make these things like little tanks
Good luck

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum. The P5 is bullet proof unless it was abused or neglected. The accessories you named are about $1k worth and a good start. Mine is a '15 so auto isn't an option for me. It might be nice to have for the wife or if you plan to let the kids take it but I like to be in control of my rpm's and personally wouldn't use it. I'd say if the used one checks out after a good inspection you can't go wrong. ;)

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 purchased new. I really like the option of using the paddle shifters or automatic. They each have their place. Auto works great. Sometimes when in very tight or technical trails you need the paddles. Its awesome having the choice. The 2017, in manual, is a 2016... but the 2017 has the added fully auto feature.

As far as warranty, I never used mine. Hard to fathom that you'd need it unless you beat the living s#=t out of the rig. They are robust.

PS: My wife (princess) will not even get behind the wheel of anything that isn't fully automatic.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
On my second one (2015, now 2017) and these little units are tough as an anvil. Like mentioned above, I may have used auto 2-3 times and likely to see how it actually works, LOL. If the unit checks out (assuming you be comfortable looking it over and inspecting it), I would offer $1K less than the asking price and go from there and save some money.

Personally and not claiming to be an expert
, I would look at the following:
  1. I place value in the individual, their home, etc., so I would glance at their home and if I believe owned items there would be well cared for/handled, then I would begin looking it over and if not, I would make the visit short/sweet.....
  2. I look for physical condition (stored inside or outside, etc.) relative to the miles/hours. Also, looking under the hood, seat (especially the bottom cushion) and around the engine, you can see if the unit shows signs of a quick pressure wash off with residual mud, waterlines, etc., everywhere......
  3. I inspect for abuse/maintenance (torn/worn materials such as axle boots), oil (ask for any evidence service was performed), check oil and check air filter box (ask them to open it up for an inspection)...
  4. If the unit has been modified for deep water, etc., such as a snorkel, then I would walk as well

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I'm probably the only one here that has owned both a 2015 and now a 2017 auto. I like the auto at times when driving down the country roads but always use manual on the trails...The one thing I hate on the 2017 is the newer high side torso bars. The other things I don't like is the automatically downshift when slowing down and the seatbelt speed limiter but can easily be fixed! I'd not hesitate to buy a good used one...

M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Wow that was fast thanks so much! The local dealer was supposed to get back to me about the price of a 2019 but I haven't heard back yet. No surprise from this dealer!! When I went in and told them what I was looking to for, he started asking me why I'd want one cause they're ugly! He then tried selling me a 570 ranger to which I replied "its too wide, and my last Polaris (sportsman) left a VERY sour taste in my mouth. Sold it before I had 500kms on it! Never again... Anyhow, I'm gonna see if I can work out a deal on the 2016, only trouble is it's about a 7 hr drive away!

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Wow that was fast thanks so much! The local dealer was supposed to get back to me about the price of a 2019 but I haven't heard back yet. No surprise from this dealer!! When I went in and told them what I was looking to for, he started asking me why I'd want one cause they're ugly! He then tried selling me a 570 ranger to which I replied "its too wide, and my last Polaris (sportsman) left a VERY sour taste in my mouth. Sold it before I had 500kms on it! Never again... Anyhow, I'm gonna see if I can work out a deal on the 2016, only trouble is it's about a 7 hr drive away!

I've been around Honda atv's a long time and the Pioneer 500 is a mixture of everything a tried and trued Honda Foreman has been. I've never seen any serious issues with motor and certainly no transmission problems with these little guys. That gear transmission is as stout as anything. Even the ones that have rode the shiite out of them and abused them still run strong! I think these are the Sherman tanks of the utv world! As far as ugly goes, in stock trim they are less that desirable. Put some bigger rims/tires on these with a few accessories and these rigs ugly or not will bring you home everytime! If you want all show and a 50/50 chance of getting home then buy the Polaris

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Auto downshifting with 2017 and newer seems to be an individual preference. For me, I use paddle shifting the most and like the auto downshifting to keep from lugging the one cylinder with low rpms. Come to a stop and it goes to second gear, hit the gas to go again. Either model is a reliable little tank. Comparison to local market values?

Last edited:
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
JSPEED, like you I have owned both the 2015/2017 and agree with many of the comments posted. Like Mudder, mentions some of this is personal preference and personally like the downshifting, but could see that be annoying if not of interest.

One thing which is consistent across the years, the units are: absolutely fantastic, durable, relatively high demand and hold strong residual value...

Reactions: GRANITE and Todd627
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Reactions: Todd627
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The local dealer was supposed to get back to me about the price of a 2019 but I haven't heard back yet.
I would almost guarantee that the starting price will be $9759 ($9099.00 {MSRP} + $660 {Destination Charge}). Dealers won't be discounting this early in the new model year. If they want more keep walking.

Reactions: Todd627
M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Up here in Northern Ontario, the majority of dealers are asking $10799 + tax, freight and pdi for the 2018 models. I had a line on a 2017 for $9995 but missed it by a day! Buddy wants $10500 for the 2016 with all the accessories... Granted it only got 20 kms on it, it seems a bit high to me...

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Up here in Northern Ontario
Where in Northern Ontario? (Many of our US friends may not realize that Ontario is about 1.5 times the size of Texas, or about 2/3 the size of Alaska; Its northern point is about 700 miles from the Arctic Circle and its most southern tip is at the same latitude as Northern California.)

Reactions: 70Bones and Mudwing
M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I'm just outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario. The prices seem fairly consistent throughout the province. $10799 seems to be at the low end for a 2018 model

M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
That's good to know, thanks! The 2016 I'm looking at is in Sault Ste. Marie. I was thinking about having it shipped to Thunder Bay but that's obviously at an extra cost!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!