BOX1

P1000 2016 P1K trans troubles....

M

Matt_NS

Jun 28, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey everyone, new kid on the block here, recently acquired an Orange P1K EPS. Bought from the second owner. All the recalls have been performed, the gentleman I got it from went over every single thing he had ever done to it or had issue with. He was very forthcoming about everything, so it was a surprise to me, when, upon my first ride out on a trail, I had an issue.
Left our campground an drove for about 15-20mins through some nice trails, nothing technical, no deep water or mud, my 11 year old son was ahead on his CRF100. As we stopped at the end of the trail to decide where we would go next, the Pioneer shut itself off... I popped into neutral and re-started, as soon as I put it into gear, it shut off. First thing I did was check oil, which was fine, had a look around for anything leaking or pulled apart, all was good. This all took about 5 mins. Started it back up and everything was fine. Got about half a mile up the trail (actually a woods road) and same thing again, this time i cold tell the shifting mechanism sounded strange. Sat there for a few mins and it would go again. Seems to be heat related. I turned back to limp back to the campground, had to stop 2 more times, each time allowing the machine to cool, things would work again. Got back to the camper, let the machine cool down completely, everything is working flawlessly as it had when I brought it home. I did notice the hyphen in the gear indicator was flashing 5 slow and 7 fast. I don't have a shop manual yet, but that is coming ASAP.
Anyone have any insight?
Thanks

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think that would be called a code 57 or maybe a 5-7. The long blinks count as 10 and the short blinks count as 1, so 5 long is 50 and 7 short is 7, so that equals 57. Pretty sure thats how it works. Now what does it mean? I dug around on here and found something in a post that says its a sensor in the sub trans. But like @Get-the-gaff mentioned, cleaning the ground connections up all around the machine can eliminate lots of electrical gremlins. Im sure there will be someone smarter than me along shortly that can give you a definite answer. Good luck!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that would be called a code 57 or maybe a 5-7. The long blinks count as 10 and the short blinks count as 1, so 5 long is 50 and 7 short is 7, so that equals 57. Pretty sure thats how it works. Now what does it mean? I dug around on here and found something in a post that says its a sensor in the sub trans. But like @Get-the-gaff mentioned, cleaning the ground connections up all around the machine can eliminate lots of electrical gremlins. Im sure there will be someone smarter than me along shortly that can give you a definite answer. Good luck!
I can speak to this. I had a bad ground on my first backup light and every time I’d put it in reverse, my rig would die.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If that's the code it's pulling then it's not a ground. Give me a little bit and I'll check the service manual. It might seem heat related but that's just how limp mode works. I'll get back to you on that code.

Reactions: TripleB
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Little humor for Monday morning. Seen the title and just had to throw a wrench at it. :cool:

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This doesn't look that bad. The code is a gearshift mechanism malfunction. Under the bed on the passenger side you'll see the shift motor. Its right on top. It looks like a little starter. There is a sub harness for the DCT components. The shift motor wires sit right next to, and around the heat shield. Check all the plugs and connections related to the shift motor. I think their is only 2 plugs. Really check the wires good. Mine where broke under the wire loom. Mine also melted because they did not put the harness back the right way and was bouncing around. This is what mine looked like. That happened a while ago. Also, go online and get a paper copy of the Honda service manual. They are about $40.

IMG 20200629 071926 1228191111

M

Matt_NS

Jun 28, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey there. Little update: Stripped the harness out like @1Ktrailrider had mentioned, found nothing glaringly obvious. Though I did find the green wire to the angle sensor had exposed copper, but was not touching anything metal, as well as the red wire going to the shift motor with a very very small chafe through to copper. I repaired those and re-taped the harness. One other thought had crossed my mind during all of this... this machine has around 13,000kms on it, approx 9,000 miles. Could the shift motor be the culprit? Could it be a heat soak problem, just like a starter on a car where the exhaust runs close to the starter? I've run into this in years gone by while drag racing. I did pull the shift motor and inspect, commutator bars look worn and dark, but nothing too alarming. Brushes looked fine also. I tried to re-create the issue here in the driveway, but ultimately gave up. Will have to take it to a trail system to try and recreate the issue.

oh.. and my dealer has the manuals on back order...:confused:

Reactions: TimG and TripleB
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey there. Little update: Stripped the harness out like @1Ktrailrider had mentioned, found nothing glaringly obvious. Though I did find the green wire to the angle sensor had exposed copper, but was not touching anything metal, as well as the red wire going to the shift motor with a very very small chafe through to copper. I repaired those and re-taped the harness. One other thought had crossed my mind during all of this... this machine has around 13,000kms on it, approx 9,000 miles. Could the shift motor be the culprit? Could it be a heat soak problem, just like a starter on a car where the exhaust runs close to the starter? I've run into this in years gone by while drag racing. I did pull the shift motor and inspect, commutator bars look worn and dark, but nothing too alarming. Brushes looked fine also. I tried to re-create the issue here in the driveway, but ultimately gave up. Will have to take it to a trail system to try and recreate the issue.

Exposed copper for no apparent reason,you may have something chewing on ur wires,mice,squirrels

3lakespioneer

Jul 24, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm guessing it the shocks. You should have kept the stockers you gave away. Karma man!!!

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Service-shop-manual.com
In stock, $40. See if you can recreate the same code by unplugging the shift motor. Depending on how handy you want to get, Their are some more detailed tests you can do to check continuity and ohm resistance from plug to harness as well as servicing the shift motor. I'll look into it in the morning. This is a small issue, it's just finding it that is time consuming. I know it's tight in there but check the rest of that sub harness. If you lift the rig, drop the skid plate you can easily remove the whole transmission sub harness. About 6 plugs and it comes out. (I've done it). I doubt the dealer will be any help in this case. Ill look at the manual for something else in the morning.

Reactions: TimG
M

Matt_NS

Jun 28, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the help! I'm a red seal Heavy truck mechanic who now works on aerial lifts and mini earth moving gear and all sorts of other stuff at a rental house. I'm pretty comfortable around just about anything, just nice to have others' experiences to help troubleshoot. I bought a PDF version of the manual last night, still would rather the hard copy (i'm old school) But will read what I can today at work and when I get home tomorrow, will dive into the machine more.
thanks again, I will keep you posted!

M

Matt_NS

Jun 28, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi again everyone. So, I haven't had much time to fool with the machine, the wife, kids and I spent Canada day at a hotel and walked around town most of the day and then spent the evening with cousins and friends around a bonfire down at the wharf. I did have a small opportunity to mess with it a bit. I unplugged the shift motor as suggested, but that made the machine throw a code 2 4. Which it could have thrown originally and I may have missed. I didn't catch on to the blink codes, until later. I did manage to drive it a bit and just to see how hot that shift motor gets...... bloody hot, so hot that I let go after about 5 seconds. I'm still leaning towards this being the issue.
I did have %90 of the trans sub harness out and found only the issue I mentioned above. In the manual, it also mentions something about the TR sensor, but the tests only speak of using the MCS tool for diagnosis... no actual ohm values given.

I will hopefully have a chance to get on the trails this weekend and try to get it to act up..

I'll let ya know

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did! Ended up disassembling and cleaning the contacts on the shift motor. Work flawlessly now. Apologies to those who were following, for the late reply.
Yes updates and solutions r always welcome. Thanks

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Matt_NS
Its odd that I helped you with this issue some time ago and now I have the same exact issue. So your saying you cleaned the contacts on the plug for the shift motor? Or other contacts? I'm digging into it after work but am appreciating your updated resolution. I will also leave my findings here. Hopefully its just a wire or plug.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!