P1000 Solved - 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Stalls when Slowing down from 35mph/Downshifting

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That's confusing. Does it idle normally or stall when you start it in N (neutral)?

Does it stall if idling and you place the shifter in H (high range) or L (low range)?

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's confusing. Does it idle normally or stall when you start it in N (neutral)?

Does it stall if idling and you place the shifter in H (high range) or L (low range)?
after driving for about 45 minutes on a warm day (85+) when I am driving at 45mph and let off the accelerator it dies. Rolls to a stop, and will restart immediately. Has nothing to do with Idle.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
after driving for about 45 minutes on a warm day (85+) when I am driving at 45mph and let off the accelerator it dies. Rolls to a stop, and will restart immediately. Has nothing to do with Idle.
Mine was doing weird stuff and the last time I took it to the shop they found air injector and both fuel injector leads bad and replaced them and seems to be fixed?

Reactions: Lady01 and Rick53
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You keep saying that but no one can diagnose it based on your limited information. Why do you refuse to answer questions?

Since you already know everything why did you post your problem here?

Reactions: Lady01
aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You keep saying that but no one can diagnose it based on your limited information. Why do you refuse to answer questions?

Since you already know everything why did you post your problem here

Does it idle normally or stall when you start it in N (neutral)?->Idles Normally, does not Stall

Does it stall if idling and you place the shifter in H (high range) or L (low range)?->No, Does not Stall.

There is no problems with Idling. Issue only occurs after the machine has been running (45 minutes or more) at slower speeds (under 15-20mph) and then only driving fast and then slowing down (down shifting from 6th Gear). Problem also only seems to occur if the temperature is warm/80's or higher. . . . I have tried to reproduce the problem on a cooler day (temps in the 60s) and it doesn't repeat. It only happens as far as I can tell when it is hot out, and the machine is hot as well.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems to me like something is loose. It seems as though when you let off, the g forces of engine braking may be moving a wire or connector enough to cause a temporary faulty connection. Maybe that is why it does it only at higher speeds. The ecm seems to see something it don't like temporarily. I would also look for wires that may have rubbed on something. My Jeep would shut off randomly similar to this and I was able to put it in neutral and start it right back up while still rolling. Are you able to do that? It was a nightmare to track down the problem. It had a crank position sensor wire that wore through and was intermittently shorting on the ac condenser line. The higher ambient temp thing baffles me though. Maybe because the wire is more pliable at warmer temps. Good luck with this. Please let us know what you find, I'm intrigued. Thanks

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does it idle normally or stall when you start it in N (neutral)?->Idles Normally, does not Stall

Does it stall if idling and you place the shifter in H (high range) or L (low range)?->No, Does not Stall.

There is no problems with Idling. Issue only occurs after the machine has been running (45 minutes or more) at slower speeds (under 15-20mph) and then only driving fast and then slowing down (down shifting from 6th Gear). Problem also only seems to occur if the temperature is warm/80's or higher. . . . I have tried to reproduce the problem on a cooler day (temps in the 60s) and it doesn't repeat. It only happens as far as I can tell when it is hot out, and the machine is hot as well.
When it's dying, is it at what would be or is a shift point? I'm wondering if it has to do with the dual clutch operation and timing of that. Just a WAG, but if when downshifting the releasing clutch is sticking, perhaps it's adding enough drag to cause the engine to stall?

I may be way off base here, as I'm new to all this, but if the above carries any water at all, then a way to eliminate that or the shift control motor as a possibility would be to downshift manually with paddle shifter to see if the motor dying has any relation to the shift point.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The symptoms sound like the DCT clutch for 1-3-5 is not disengaging just prior to the machine coming to a stop. The fact that it only occurs when ambient temps are 80°+ makes it more confusing to me.

If you have the opportunity when the 80° or better temp condition is met try shifting the gear selector into neutral as you slow to stop then back into H or L instead of stopping while in H or L. That, at least to me, would confirm it's a clutch, clutch solenoid, or computer program issue.

I think you're going to be forced to take it to a Honda Powersports dealer with a good, trained tech who understands the DCT.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you gotten to that electric shift motor yet? So far, that looks like the most likely explanation offered...I would eliminate that cause before going all the other directions.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Have you gotten to that electric shift motor yet? So far, that looks like the most likely explanation offered...I would eliminate that cause before going all the other directions.
What does the "electric shift motor" do?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
What does the "electric shift motor" do?
FYI the electric shift motor does the actual shifting of the gears . Both up shift and down shift. If you didn't have this motor you would have to shift the trans manually. Right next to the shift motor is a shaft that sticks out so that if your machine is stuck in gear you can put a wrench on it to manually shift it. BTW that wrench is in your tool pouch under the hood of your machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and aareed
aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it's dying, is it at what would be or is a shift point? I'm wondering if it has to do with the dual clutch operation and timing of that. Just a WAG, but if when downshifting the releasing clutch is sticking, perhaps it's adding enough drag to cause the engine to stall?

I may be way off base here, as I'm new to all this, but if the above carries any water at all, then a way to eliminate that or the shift control motor as a possibility would be to downshift manually with paddle shifter to see if the motor dying has any relation to the shift point.
That sounds like what could be happening. I have put it in MT mode and without downshifting myself, just slowing down, it also died. When it does, the engine is still engaged and continues to spin/braking me until I am almost at a stop. At that point, I can hear the transmission downshifting back to first.

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a look at where it is at, seems like it might be hard to get to and I couldn't find a video or any details on what is involved in taking it out. I ordered a new motor and will go ahead and replace it this weekend. If anyone has a how to for getting the shift motor out, it would be appreciated. Seems like it is in a hard to reach spot. . .

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The symptoms sound like the DCT clutch for 1-3-5 is not disengaging just prior to the machine coming to a stop. The fact that it only occurs when ambient temps are 80°+ makes it more confusing to me.

If you have the opportunity when the 80° or better temp condition is met try shifting the gear selector into neutral as you slow to stop then back into H or L instead of stopping while in H or L. That, at least to me, would confirm it's a clutch, clutch solenoid, or computer program issue.

I think you're going to be forced to take it to a Honda Powersports dealer with a good, trained tech who understands the DCT.
When I first started having this happen, I tried several times to shift to Neutral as I was rolling to a stop. It did not like it and I could hear gears grinding. . . Didn't seem like it was a good thing to do.. . .

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems to me like something is loose. It seems as though when you let off, the g forces of engine braking may be moving a wire or connector enough to cause a temporary faulty connection. Maybe that is why it does it only at higher speeds. The ecm seems to see something it don't like temporarily. I would also look for wires that may have rubbed on something. My Jeep would shut off randomly similar to this and I was able to put it in neutral and start it right back up while still rolling. Are you able to do that? It was a nightmare to track down the problem. It had a crank position sensor wire that wore through and was intermittently shorting on the ac condenser line. The higher ambient temp thing baffles me though. Maybe because the wire is more pliable at warmer temps. Good luck with this. Please let us know what you find, I'm intrigued. Thanks
No, it won't shift to Neutral without grinding and the engine is turning so I don't want to hit the starter. I wonder if there is something that when it doesn't shift correctly it kills the motor?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
When I first started having this happen, I tried several times to shift to Neutral as I was rolling to a stop. It did not like it and I could hear gears grinding. . . Didn't seem like it was a good thing to do.. . .

Gears should not grind by shifting into neutral when rolling . . . unless one or both of the clutches are failing to release.

Reactions: Lady01 and 05Willys
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're not supposed to move your shifter while moving. Full stop and idle.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a look at where it is at, seems like it might be hard to get to and I couldn't find a video or any details on what is involved in taking it out. I ordered a new motor and will go ahead and replace it this weekend. If anyone has a how to for getting the shift motor out, it would be appreciated. Seems like it is in a hard to reach spot. . .
You went ahead and bought a new shift control motor? That's a couple hundred bucks, right? I would have tried cleaning mine up first. :oops:

Anyway, do you have a service manual? It looks pretty easy to get to if you remove the rear floor panel.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
You went ahead and bought a new shift control motor? That's a couple hundred bucks, right? I would have tried cleaning mine up first. :oops:

Anyway, do you have a service manual? It looks pretty easy to get to if you remove the rear floor panel.
When mine acted up I cleaned mine up and it worked fine. For peace of mind , I did replace it with a new one and it's working perfectly. I bought this one from amazon it fits and works perfectly. I kept my old as a spare.

Mine is a P3 so less to remove . The motor is held on with 3 10 mm bolts. It's simple to do.

Reactions: Lady01 and 05Willys

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!