P1000 2017 p1000 is awesome but engine overheated twice

brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought 2017 p1000-5 2 weeks ago, have put 92 miles on this truly awesome machine in thes 2 weeks. Haven't run it hard just made it go thru my trails at home. Both engine overheat instances were in low gear, once in very tight trail tight navigation, and the other was steep, long hill coming out of a creek in low. Both times in manual, wasn't over revving engine. First time over flow boiled out, literally boiling and the second time, did not overflow but boiling in coolant reservoir. Dealer said I was just burping the tank?????? Seems fine after it happened both times.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Sounds like maybe there's air in the cooling system.
Take the rafoator cap off (when cool) , then start your Pioneer and when the bubbles coming out of the radiator fill neck stop shut the engine off and let it cool down. If it needs coolant add as needed, put the cap on, and if that was the problem you should be good to go. Make sure the system is topped off before doing this.
That's the easy step. It could be a leak in the system, bad cap, water pump, clogged radiator, bad fan motor,etc. Start simple

Reactions: Smitty335
brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did all that the first time and repeated the second time. Second time isn’t a fluke. No air came from the system the second time. May be time to visit the dealer

brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes fan operates normally all the time as well except for when it overheats. Doesn’t seem to work when I shutoff for overheating, then start back up to check for fan operation and doesn’t work. I’ve checked plug ins for fan, relays, etc. it all checks out. ???

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine kinda got hot on me and boiled over once in the snow. I have wanted to ask about using a high quality antifreeze. If such a thing exists.

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There is not too many cases outside just needing to "burp". It has become very common actually.

Air trapped in the system will make the pump useless. This stale water is what makes it over heat like this. You have to get the air out so it will flow.

Best method is to get the front end up HIGH. Winching it up a tree is a common method.

There have been other reports.
Loose wires. Clogged radiators. And one report of a bad thermostat which I now think was result of burp issue unnoticed.

Well. Update us once u get it right.
Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll keep you updated and I would hope Honda pro I’m putting into this thing is high quality. At$12 a quart or whatever I paid for the last one it should be. I’m a lifelong Honda user and family loves the pioneer just wished Honda didn’t skimp on so many little things.

Reactions: strongbuilt
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1
I overheated twice in my first week, both times during very normal conditions. Read here on the boards about the burping so I was already carrying extra coolant with me. Filled again and kept going!
since then I have put on much harder miles and so far cooling is Solid!

Reactions: 0860silverado

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!