BOX1

P1000 2018 LIMITED LEFT ME STRANDED

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the first time ever a Honda left me hiking 2 miles back to the house. Just got my 18 limited 2 weeks ago and finally put enough miles on to have some fun (40 miles) went out this morning up one of our trails and while turning around at the end it decides to die. Started back up go forward and die , this time not starting. I hike back down get the 4x4 quad jump it , ride the quad back down the trail giving it 5 min to idle. hike back up and on my way back to the house as its down shifting it dies. throw it in park starts back up ( I use manual paddle shifters) and as I'm going down hill it starts to down shift and dies again. it did this 5 or 6 times before I finally got back to the house . get to the house throw the battery on a charger for a couple hours , starts back up this time it says gear 2 . I cannot switch it to manual mode or auto mode. put it in reverse but still states gear 2 , tried to manually down shift with the wrench , didn't work . like I said I took it easy for the first 40 miles and figured that was a good break in. Dealership doesn't open until Tuesday. any thoughts ?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any codes being thrown?

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Upload a video of it starting. Watch the dash, there has got to be a code somewhere. Upload to youtube and we will help, Definitely going to be a dealer problem.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
quick update , it doesn't state gear 2 anymore . starts up and idles normal . the minute it starts shifting or down shifting and reaches 3000 rpms it dies . mostly does it on a down shift but it has on the upshift also.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try to video the dash. Until then it is pure speculation.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe you can use the share button once uploaded. Make sure the video is set to public.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe you can use the share button once uploaded. Make sure the video is set to public.

You want me to upload it to the hondasxs Facebook page ? Sorry I'm not the most up to date on technology!! Lol

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For the first time ever a Honda left me hiking 2 miles back to the house. Just got my 18 limited 2 weeks ago and finally put enough miles on to have some fun (40 miles) went out this morning up one of our trails and while turning around at the end it decides to die. Started back up go forward and die , this time not starting. I hike back down get the 4x4 quad jump it , ride the quad back down the trail giving it 5 min to idle. hike back up and on my way back to the house as its down shifting it dies. throw it in park starts back up ( I use manual paddle shifters) and as I'm going down hill it starts to down shift and dies again. it did this 5 or 6 times before I finally got back to the house . get to the house throw the battery on a charger for a couple hours , starts back up this time it says gear 2 . I cannot switch it to manual mode or auto mode. put it in reverse but still states gear 2 , tried to manually down shift with the wrench , didn't work . like I said I took it easy for the first 40 miles and figured that was a good break in. Dealership doesn't open until Tuesday. any thoughts ?
I am thinking there is a poor connection somewhere
69B7C025 725B 4527 9224 8E329A80F3B8

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
pretty sure its some sort of power issue , Thursday and Friday it had a dead battery , even after riding for 20 min it wouldn't start back up . had to get the rpms up and finally it came around and I hadn't had issues with it being dead until well today. this happened about 15 min after its first start up of the day. any body have a clue where the ground would be ? or would it possibly be a fuse ? like I said starts up normal. the min it shifts from first to second or second back down to first it the screen goes haywire will go from manual to auto and dies, put it in neutral or park and starts back up.

Reactions: Mopower58 and sharp

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got a hold of dealership, which is 60 miles away. Over the phone they are stating it could possibly be the seat belt. told them it is always buckled but they said it sounds like it has something to do with my issue. Has anyone had any issues with the seat belt safety thing before? i will be bringing it to the dealership Thursday for them to see it in person. Going to demand a new one if the issue isnt a quick fix. It came from the dealership with a lopsided front bumper and small puncture on the underside of the seat that i didnt notice until i got home, told the salesman the next day, but to me with what i planned on doing with it that was going to happen eventually anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally got a hold of dealership, which is 60 miles away. Over the phone they are stating it could possibly be the seat belt. told them it is always buckled but they said it sounds like it has something to do with my issue. Has anyone had any issues with the seat belt safety thing before? i will be bringing it to the dealership Thursday for them to see it in person. Going to demand a new one if the issue isnt a quick fix. It came from the dealership with a lopsided front bumper and small puncture on the underside of the seat that i didnt notice until i got home, told the salesman the next day, but to me with what i planned on doing with it that was going to happen eventually anyway so it wasnt a big deal.
A lopsided bumper and a hole in the seat are the least of your worries with this machine my friend. Lots of quality issues. You WILL need to correct your front end wheel alignment or you'll be replacing tires every 100 miles, tighten every screw, nut, bolt and wiring ground you can find, absolutely verify that all your air intake tubes are connected, tightened and leak-proof (after I got my tubes all to spec I verified no air intake leaks by choking the engine to stall at the underhood intake.) I've owned my machine for 19 months and I still don't have a machine that I can rely on. I'ts been a massive money pit for me so far. I hope you got a good one. Many people on this site have had better luck than me.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lopsided bumper and a hole in the seat are the least of your worries with this machine my friend. Lots of quality issues. You WILL need to correct your front end wheel alignment or you'll be replacing tires every 100 miles, tighten every screw, nut, bolt and wiring ground you can find, absolutely verify that all your air intake tubes are connected, tightened and leak-proof (after I got my tubes all to spec I verified no air intake leaks by choking the engine to stall at the underhood intake.) I've owned my machine for 19 months and I still don't have a machine that I can rely on. I'ts been a massive money pit for me so far. I hope you got a good one. Many people on this site have had better luck than me.

Exactly why I didn't care about the bumper or seat I knew it was bound to happen but now that damn thing wont run and will be 3 weeks old Friday I'm gonna let them know about it . the dealership stated he had never heard of my problem I am having I told him I bet he had never seen one come from factory with a bent bumper and puncture in seat he said no lol. I feel like a 20k machine should have been triple checked, my bad for not double checking everything. taking it to dealer tomorrow to see what they think. pretty sure it was put together on a Friday at 5 oclock! lol

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Exactly why I didn't care about the bumper or seat I knew it was bound to happen but now that damn thing wont run and will be 3 weeks old Friday I'm gonna let them know about it . the dealership stated he had never heard of my problem I am having I told him I bet he had never seen one come from factory with a bent bumper and puncture in seat he said no lol. I feel like a 20k machine should have been triple checked, my bad for not double checking everything. taking it to dealer tomorrow to see what they think. pretty sure it was put together on a Friday at 5 oclock! lol
I think mine was assembled on the Monday morning after the Superbowl parties!

Reactions: ohiohunter

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick update , Dropped it off at dealership Thursday morning , got a call Friday saying they looked at it and they said before they went to deep into it the pulled the battery and ran some tests on it and determined the battery was toast and before they went any further they wanted to get a new one in there and go from there. Bad news for me is since this is warranty work they have to order the Honda battery from Honda which takes 7 days to get there...he claims. the last time I ordered a Honda part from there I was told 5-7 days and it was 13.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!