BOX1

P1000 2018 SxS1000 Engine Overheasting Issue

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can this radiator shop build this if so 500 dollars is not much to spend to get the pioneer heating problems fixed the pioneer cost a lot of money

Reactions: Lady01
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
According to the guy at Davis Radiator Shop, 2500 E California Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93307, (661) 324-9886, the solution is not that simple. The underlying issue is heat transfer (engine block heat transfers to the coolant, the coolant transfers to the air). More radiator volume is not as important as more radiator surface area. In addition, the cooling system is limited by small radiator hoses and the small diameter of the thermostat. They recommend building a larger radiator (same depth, just more surface area), install custom-tight-fitting fan shroud, replacing the thermostat, and installing a larger more efficient fan. Translation: It will cost $500 to fix Honda's design issue.
Does yours overheat without the tracks and regular tires?

Reactions: Lady01 and lee
K

KERN

Jan 16, 2019
Bakersfield California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does yours overheat without the tracks and regular tires?

Great question. I have only experienced overheating with the tracks. I am running MATTRACKS and the speedometer says we are going 15-17 MPH @ 4000 RPM, but the actual ground speed is 5-7 MPH. The tracks have a 3:1 gear reduction. I am also running in low range, 4 wheel AWD (everything locked). I have to run the transmission is manual (when I leave it in auto, it shifts at 6000 RPM and tends to be happy at 5000 RPM). The Dealer did let me I was "running the machine too hard", so I experimented with different RPM, driving habits and taking frequent breaks. Nothing helps, it still overheats. But when it runs...you cannot stop it. The Forest Service Gate was locked (they changed the combination) so we went around it in deep snow, at a 60-65% angle and it climbed like a Billy Goat.

Also, I did call MATTRACKS and they did some research. Most their Pioneer 1000-5 applications have been in the Midwest in basically flat conditions and they have no reported over heating issues.

The issue with the tracks is no air flow, high torque, high RPM. Bad combination for a Pioneer 1000-5 for an extended period of time.

I have ran the machine in Mojave when it was 110+ at 50 MPH with tires and it never overheated.

K

KERN

Jan 16, 2019
Bakersfield California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can this radiator shop build this if so 500 dollars is not much to spend to get the pioneer heating problems fixed the pioneer cost a lot of money

Yes, at this point that is the only option for a machine that cost 28K and you cannot use. My point is Honda knows there are overheating issues and it is not unreasonable for look into the issue. I have offered Honda to use my machine, send out a field engineer, collect data and experience the issues "first-hand".

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Great question. I have only experienced overheating with the tracks. I am running MATTRACKS and the speedometer says we are going 15-17 MPH @ 4000 RPM, but the actual ground speed is 5-7 MPH. The tracks have a 3:1 gear reduction. I am also running in low range, 4 wheel AWD (everything locked). I have to run the transmission is manual (when I leave it in auto, it shifts at 6000 RPM and tends to be happy at 5000 RPM). The Dealer did let me I was "running the machine too hard", so I experimented with different RPM, driving habits and taking frequent breaks. Nothing helps, it still overheats. But when it runs...you cannot stop it. The Forest Service Gate was locked (they changed the combination) so we went around it in deep snow, at a 60-65% angle and it climbed like a Billy Goat.

Also, I did call MATTRACKS and they did some research. Most their Pioneer 1000-5 applications have been in the Midwest in basically flat conditions and they have no reported over heating issues.

The issue with the tracks is no air flow, high torque, high RPM. Bad combination for a Pioneer 1000-5 for an extended period of time.

I have ran the machine in Mojave when it was 110+ at 50 MPH with tires and it never overheated.
If it was me, I would fab a shield on each side of the fan shroud to seal the shroud sides to the radiator. Pretty sure that will make a big difference. I know on cars it is huge having it sealed. With it open, the fan pulls air in from the sides of the shroud instead of through the radiator. Pretty sure they left it open to be able to clean mud out easier. These machines also run pretty lean. A Power Commander would allow you to richen the fuel mixture and run a little cooler also.

Reactions: Lady01 and Bones
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Missed the bit about the tracks, yeah thats a load on the machine.

T

tate2326

Apr 26, 2019
arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I was driving a Can Am Commander lots of people installed a Fan Override switch so you could manually turn the fan on and leave it on... Does Honda have anything like this?

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just came upon this thread from last year, and thought I would add to it. My 2016-5 also has overheating problems. But, it is mostly when in 9,000+ ft elevations in Colorado. I added a pusher fan to the front of the radiator that pretty much keeps the temperature to 2 bars, but occasionally gets to 3 bars. I also added an inline digital temperature indicator on my dash, showing the coolant temperature going into the radiator from the engine. I like seeing the real temperatures rather than the bar graph.
I am no longer worried about overheating on my Honda.
But, the comment was made above, and it makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it. With the engine compartment retaining heat, the cooling system would require more work to help cool the engine and get rid of that heat, so adding a vent fan to the engine compartment to cool down the front middle passenger’s seat area is making more sense. I think that will be my next project, as it does get rather warm for the riders.

7BE6620C 5377 4832 8792 E309142A15FE 30B2EFC5 575D 4FB6 9A91 905516391B8D F2DE4A4D BF84 46E4 899D 2B378DABD621 D57C0F6A 94D9 4DCC A671 04F3E357A9D0 C00567FF B0AB 40F0 A37C 6CF5FFC07CB6

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Purchased new SXS1000M5D 2018 MANUFACTURED 11/17 and I am experiencing overheating issues (high coolant temperature, radiator fluid boiling "streaming" over, and fan turning off). Unit is driving from 4000' to 8700' in elevation, in snow, low gear range, 4AWD, typically in manual mode at between 5-6K RPM motor speed indicating 18-20 MPH. When in AUTO mode, transmission wants to shift up at 6.5 K. Gas pedal is depressed approximately 75% of range.

I have tried all posted remedies (burping the air out the system, making sure the radiator is clean, no debris or airflow obstructions, had dealer flash the ECM, etc.). Unit is current with all recalls and upgrades.

Honda is aware of the overheating problem and released suggestions in the The Wrench, August-October 2018 issue (see attached picture). scan Note: The reflash did not work and only lowered the point where the fan kicks on and the over temperature light comes on. The unit is still overheating,

Unfortunately, the local dealer has been unable to find anything wrong with the unit after three weeks of working with the Honda Honda's Dealer Representative.

I took the machine into Davis Radiator Shop 2500 E California Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93307, (661) 324-9886 for an evaluation and they suggested the following:
1. The radiator design is correct (super thin and high performance)
2. The cooling fan design is incorrect. At low speeds, the air flow is inadequate through the radiator, suggesting why the electric fan was installed behind the radiator to increase airflow, therefore improving the heat exchange characteristics. Under certain circumstances (idling or high speeds) the radiator will provide adequate cooling without the ECM controlled fan. However, under low speed, high torque, high horsepower demands, the radiator requires additional airflow for cooling. Unfortunately, Honda mounted the pull fan with a 3/4" to 1" gap with no air shroud to prevent recirculation or force the air to come through the radiator. Picture of gap IMG_2219

3. The hot engine compartment temperatures (known problem) contribute to the retaining/increasing the engine heat increasing the workload of the cooling system.

They recommended the following fixes:
1. Install an air shroud that will force the air intake for the fan to come directly through the radiator. This will provide maximum air flow and cooling. However, it could pose a problem during certain operations when the fan is not running. Perhaps, this is why Honda left the 3/4" to 1" gap, Need to conform with Honda's Engineers.
2. Figure out a way to vent out the high engine compartment temperatures. I seen several "Walmart Bilge Pumps" ideas that might work.

Any thoughts?
Did you ever fix this issue?

Reactions: Lady01 and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you ever fix this issue?
Someone did...

What a shame to spend such money on a machine and have to throw aftermarket parts at it to fix it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
This is a Polaris problem... My 2018 x5 has no problem here in Arizona. You may have a special issue.
My comment was in response to the op who’s Honda was overheating and it is a honda problem for some Pioneer 1000’s. And seems more of a problem in LE’s....

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!