Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
So about a week ago out of no where the brake pedal intermittently goes straight to the floor.
Pump the brakes once or twice at most and they are back.
Nothing is hitting anything and nothing is bound up.
Parking brake or not, turning or straight seems to make no difference.
I am leaning towards a bad master cylinder, does anyone know if 14 to 20 model years interchange.
I can not find a solid answer but most places list 14 to 18 the same.
Thanks y’all.

H

HondaTech

I doubt its a bad master, I've never seen a bad master on any Honda utv. Most brake problems are caused by aftermarket Arm guards hitting the caliper.

The symptoms sound like a bent rotor, or wobbling rotor from a loose hub nut, super worn wheel bearing or something similar. I would jack each end up separately and spin the wheels to see which one makes the pedal sink. Do the fronts seperate to narrow it down. The rears ofcourse has to be spun together.

Also look inside the front wheel and check to see if the mud scrapper on the top side of the rotor isnt rubbing for whatever reason.

Reactions: Glock21user
Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I doubt its a bad master, I've never seen a bad master on any Honda utv. Most brake problems are caused by aftermarket Arm guards hitting the caliper.

The symptoms sound like a bent rotor, or wobbling rotor from a loose hub nut, super worn wheel bearing or something similar. I would jack each end up separately and spin the wheels to see which one makes the pedal sink. Do the fronts seperate to narrow it down. The rears ofcourse has to be spun together.
I will put it on the lift tomorrow right after work and give that a try.
Thank you for your time and help.
If it were not intermittent it would be easy to figure out but not my luck.

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I did some digging on the brake issue and found the plastic guard on the right side that covers the caliper had deformed due to a stick that had broken and became wedged.
The stick jammed between the axle and the guard on a weird angle being held against the lower control arm.
I removed the stick and the plastic guard and low and behold it all works again.
Now to either find a new guard or fab something up.
Thank you @HondaTech for your help.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!