BOX1

P700m2 2019 Rear Output Seal Leak

Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey all, I have a 2019 Pioneer 700 Deluxe with a rear output seal leak. It has 180 miles on it and is 1 month old. Anyone else experience this issue? Also, it's developed a bad chirping/squeal noise coming from the engine area. It does it moving and sitting still but only when it's good and hot.

I love the machine but I'm not real impressed with it because of these issue.

Side note the dealer I bought it from hasn't been very helpful. They've had it over a week and just now looked at it and they cannot make it squeal. It squeals all the time, louder than the engine and is getting worse.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
D7D5BEC4 D281 4EAC 82D2 8ACC3585E489
Just checked. No leaks on my ‘17 with just under 1K miles. Did the dealer fix the leak under warranty, at least? As far as the squealing, I would try to find it myself.

Reactions: Smitty335
Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
They're working on the seal currently. The squealing I can't quite pin point. Sounds like it is coming from the exhaust.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
They're working on the seal currently. The squealing I can't quite pin point. Sounds like it is coming from the exhaust.

There’s been reports of loose heat shields, when it’s cold check the tightness of the whole exhaust system. Then ride it. Don’t get discouraged, the seven hundo is tough machine. After the first oil change, they’re like butter. You don’t have to use that dealer if’n you’re not happy.

Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
There’s been reports of loose heat shields, when it’s cold check the tightness of the whole exhaust system. Then ride it. Don’t get discouraged, the seven hundo is tough machine. After the first oil change, they’re like butter. You don’t have to use that dealer if’n you’re not happy.
I'll take a look at the shield if they don't find the issue.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine started leaking at the upper 7000 mile range. Did it myself, but no need to do that on a warranty machine.

The exhaust heat shields will squeak. Tighten the clamps. They will eventually loosen again.

Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine started leaking at the upper 7000 mile range. Did it myself, but no need to do that on a warranty machine.

The exhaust heat shields will squeak. Tighten the clamps. They will eventually loosen again.
Are you guys tightening them hot or cold? The machine only squeaks after it gets hot.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you guys tightening them hot or cold? The machine only squeaks after it gets hot.

Cold.
You have to be careful with them because they will strip. I ended up replacing some with off the shelf ones from the local parts store because they stripped. I also ended up cutting some strips of header wrap I had laying around and putting under the areas where the shields touch, though I don't know if that's really necessary to stop the squeak.
I also snugged up the clamp where the two pipe halves join, which will be just in front of the O2 sensor on yours (2 bolts in 1 band style clamp).
It's all something I would just do every few oil changes to keep the squeaks away.

A quick test to see if they are the problem on yours is to simply temporarily remove the heat shields and see if it goes away.

Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Cold.
You have to be careful with them because they will strip. I ended up replacing some with off the shelf ones from the local parts store because they stripped. I also ended up cutting some strips of header wrap I had laying around and putting under the areas where the shields touch, though I don't know if that's really necessary to stop the squeak.
I also snugged up the clamp where the two pipe halves join, which will be just in front of the O2 sensor on yours (2 bolts in 1 band style clamp).
It's all something I would just do every few oil changes to keep the squeaks away.

A quick test to see if they are the problem on yours is to simply temporarily remove the heat shields and see if it goes away.
Thanks, when it comes back from the shop, if they don't fix the squeak I'll try it!

Wayneheighton

Wayneheighton

Oct 6, 2017
Nova Scotia Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2

I have the same problem at 4500 miles. I am thinking of doing it myself is it a big job? Tried to find a video on it with no luck. Do you have to move the reared back to get the shaft out? Thanks for any help.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I like to know to on how to remove it too. this is my 2nd rear seal not counting the stock seal so this is number 3 going in.
I did the 2nd seal front and rear about 6000km 1 yr ago....bike has 14000 kms front one is still good dry as a bone...
this is how I notice I was consuming oil and dreaded the thought that my rings were gone but no blue smoke....
I would think the output seal is similar to the pioneer 500...
I did it a year ago and forgot how,,,( old age haha),but now do I take the wheels and big bolt with cotter pin out in order to move the rear diff back with shaft to get at the seal and do i remove brake caliper.
Cant find any videos ,but pretty sure I can do it but a little encouragement would be good...

20210718 1555261

T

TwerkFish3

Mar 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Has anyone else replaced that output shaft themselves? Currently stuck between a rock and a hard place with this project. I got the driveline out and it seems like that seal has lost all integrity and is stuck to the metal.

T

TwerkFish3

Mar 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Has anyone else replaced that output shaft themselves? Currently stuck between a rock and a hard place with this project. I got the driveline out and it seems like that seal has lost all integrity and is stuck to the metal.
Update*
The honda dealer in town told me the seal I needed turned out to be the wrong seal. (They sold me the front output shaft seal) So I went into this project expecting something totally different. That seal is a mechanical seal and it is not interchangeable with the front one.
If anyone else is having this leak, the project isn’t too hard. You have to remove both rear tires, both castle nuts, the 3 differential bolts, and the rear shaft brake caliper. You have to finagle the diff in such a way that you can pull the drive line out and it’ll separate from the diff and the transmission shaft. Then it’s as easy as prying out the old seal and slipping the new one in. Just remember to drain the oil prior to starting this.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!