highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Has one else experienced this problem? I just noticed this weekend that both side seals were leaking, right side much worse than left side? What is this crap? I have almost no miles on the machine and seals are already leaking? Sounds like Polaris quality, except I never had a seal leak on those!! I bought this machine to NOT work on it!!!

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has one else experienced this problem? I just noticed this weekend that both side seals were leaking, right side much worse than left side? What is this crap? I have almost no miles on the machine and seals are already leaking? Sounds like Polaris quality, except I never had a seal leak on those!! I bought this machine to NOT work on it!!!

Take it in for warranty or buy the $5 seals yourself and replace them, not that big of a deal. They must have had a bad batch of seals or were installed wrong. My right side was leaking at 40 miles. Replaced it myself because I didn't want to haul it to the dealer. I have since had the sub transmission rebuilt and both rear axles replaced under warranty. My machine has around 500 miles now. Still wouldn't go back to a belt. LOL

Reactions: CumminsPusher
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Now that is helpful info! Thanks. It will go for warranty repair when I get to it. I could do it myself but that’s what I got the $$$$ extended warranty for.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had the same issue with a Honda Rincon I had. Agreed, bad axle install and that jacks up the seals.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have them check the diff vent lines too. There are other (unconfirmed) reports that the factory applied too much glue at the point where the hose meets the nipple where it goes into the frame. This caused the tube to be plugged and pressure built up in the diff when it got warm and caused the seal(s) to leak.

Again, this is completely unconfirmed but worth looking at to see if it is truly a possibility.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow, you guys are outstanding. I would have never thought of a bad axle install. Experience (and the HondaSXS club) is the best teacher. That one answser pays for the lifetime membership.

Ken

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
It's at the dealership this week. Hopefully they fix it. Don't really like the closest local dealership. Only one person I've met there is remotely friendly. Wanted to try a different dealership but they were 4 weeks behind on service!! Dealership i bought from was great but also 3 1/2 hours away.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
OMG, I'm a victim 😭 - my left front is leaking at 300 miles. Aborted my SxS trip thru the Rockies and trailered straight to the dealer. Yep, leaking seal, we'll order one and call ya. Well, except Honda screwed up so many of them that they're backordered, delivery unknown. :(

The shop didn't keep it though, "Keep it full and ride it, we'll call when we get 'em in."

Reactions: Mudwing
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
OMG, I'm a victim 😭 - my left front is leaking at 300 miles. Aborted my SxS trip thru the Rockies and trailered straight to the dealer. Yep, leaking seal, we'll order one and call ya. Well, except Honda screwed up so many of them that they're backordered, delivery unknown. :(

The shop didn't keep it though, "Keep it full and ride it, we'll call when we get 'em in."

Have them check the diff vent lines too. There are other (unconfirmed) reports that the factory applied too much glue at the point where the hose meets the nipple where it goes into the frame. This caused the tube to be plugged and pressure built up in the diff when it got warm and caused the seal(s) to leak.

Again, this is completely unconfirmed but worth looking at to see if it is truly a possibility.
Check your vent hose. I have seen a few more people saying the hose and/or nipple is plugged with glue and it can cause pressure inside the diff when it gets warm and pushes oil past the seals.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I grease the seal, line up the axle carefully and turn it as I insert it in the dif then line it up pull it back 1/8" and have someone hit the end of the axle with a big rubber mallet to pop it in.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check your vent hose. I have seen a few more people saying the hose and/or nipple is plugged with glue and it can cause pressure inside the diff when it gets warm and pushes oil past the seals.
Might be easier said than done. The vent line is glued(?) to the upper nipple, I couldn't separate them but I was able to remove it at the lower nipple and hear 40 pounds of air pass through. I didn't want to force it apart, it might fall off later and I didn't know what glue they used to get it that tight (I was pretty persistent before surrendering).

It vents into the frame above the ABS/I4WD controller -
I VvD9MKq L

I was able to remove the vent line at the differential where it's held by a small wire clamp -
I V42bqgj X2

Also accessible from behind the RF shock, sorta -
I cjmnjmn L

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Steve
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Might be easier said than done. The vent line is glued(?) to the upper nipple, I couldn't separate them but I was able to remove it at the lower nipple and hear 40 pounds of air pass through. I didn't want to force it apart, it might fall off later and I didn't know what glue they used to get it that tight (I was pretty persistent before surrendering).

What's going on with site software, I can't post full sized photos, thumbnails only. :confused:

It vents into the frame above the ABS/I4WD controller -
View attachment 205932

I was able to remove the vent line at the differential where it's held by a small wire clamp -
View attachment 205933

Also accessible from behind the RF shock, sorta -
View attachment 205934

If you were able to get air pressure through it then your vent line shouldn't be the problem. It shouldn't leak enough during rides to be an issue. But I would check/fill it between rides!

Kurtgo1

Kurtgo1

Dec 4, 2020
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Talon x4
We are about to take our 2020 Talon 1000x 4 in for its 4th repair of a leaking boot, front driver side. It’s getting old.

• Sad
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
We are about to take our 2020 Talon 1000x 4 in for its 4th repair of a leaking boot, front driver side. It’s getting old.
Is the boot leaking or the differential? If its the differential check the vent line if you haven't done so already. If the boot is leaking all the time that is a whole different issue.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!