Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Let me preface this by saying, yes, I fully understand that HOW you want or need to use your UTV is the likely (or should be!) a major factor in which model you would choose. So, background:

1. Kids are gone. Youngest of 6 just got shipped out to Michigan State University for her freshman year. We have grandkids, but they don't come over that often due to the miles between us.
  2. While I always say, "But maybe our friends will get a SxS and travel with us", I know the reality is, that won't be very often. In fact, my best friend and I both purchased 2014 Grizzly 700 EPS ATVs brand new. I had a cabin up north, so the ATV lived up there in the summer and down home in the winter (I plow snow with it down here). Even though they literally lived across the street from us for ~15 years, the only came up north (3 hour drive) once in two years. So ... we never "rode the trails" together as expected.
  3. I live on a lake. I will likely put a plow system, heater and full cab on the Pioneer, then sell the Grizzly + plow setup.
  4. I'm a 55 YO above knee amputee. K3 to K4 (that means I'm a pretty damn active amputee). My wife isn't really an "outdoorsie" person, and most certainly is not a winter person (her favorite winter sport is "coming in out of the cold").
  5. I also see using it around the lake property (3/4 acre), as we currently use an older electric golf cart with a seat that folds down to a bed on the back.

So here's where I am: I have two deposits on two machines, both 2021 Pioneer 1000's. Once is a 1000-5 Deluxe in Vapor White and the other is a 1000-3 Special Edition. I need to decide which one I want, as one is scheduled to ship in less than 2 weeks, while the other is scheduled to ship end of OCT or early NOV. This is, of course, as long as one or the other (or both) don't get delayed. Regardless, timing is not an issue -- I'm in no rush.

I'm not looking for Deluxe vs SE comments, as there's a recent thread on here that covers that.

What I'm looking at is: Based on what I've outlined as my needs/wants, what would you do if your needs/wants were the same? Would the 3 seater be better due to the larger, more accessible bed? Or buy the 5 just because you never know"?

I'm not really worried about resale value, so that's not really a consideration. Just curious what others thoughts are, largely on the 1000-3 vs 1000-5 decision.

Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Let me preface this by saying, yes, I fully understand that HOW you want or need to use your UTV is the likely (or should be!) a major factor in which model you would choose. So, background:

1. Kids are gone. Youngest of 6 just got shipped out to Michigan State University for her freshman year. We have grandkids, but they don't come over that often due to the miles between us.
  2. While I always say, "But maybe our friends will get a SxS and travel with us", I know the reality is, that won't be very often. In fact, my best friend and I both purchased 2014 Grizzly 700 EPS ATVs brand new. I had a cabin up north, so the ATV lived up there in the summer and down home in the winter (I plow snow with it down here). Even though they literally lived across the street from us for ~15 years, the only came up north (3 hour drive) once in two years. So ... we never "rode the trails" together as expected.
  3. I live on a lake. I will likely put a plow system, heater and full cab on the Pioneer, then sell the Grizzly + plow setup.
  4. I'm a 55 YO above knee amputee. K3 to K4 (that means I'm a pretty damn active amputee). My wife isn't really an "outdoorsie" person, and most certainly is not a winter person (her favorite winter sport is "coming in out of the cold").
  5. I also see using it around the lake property (3/4 acre), as we currently use an older electric golf cart with a seat that folds down to a bed on the back.

So here's where I am: I have two deposits on two machines, both 2021 Pioneer 1000's. Once is a 1000-5 Deluxe in Vapor White and the other is a 1000-3 Special Edition. I need to decide which one I want, as one is scheduled to ship in less than 2 weeks, while the other is scheduled to ship end of OCT or early NOV. This is, of course, as long as one or the other (or both) don't get delayed. Regardless, timing is not an issue -- I'm in no rush.

I'm not looking for Deluxe vs SE comments, as there's a recent thread on here that covers that.

What I'm looking at is: Based on what I've outlined as my needs/wants, what would you do if your needs/wants were the same? Would the 3 seater be better due to the larger, more accessible bed? Or buy the 5 just because you never know"?

I'm not really worried about resale value, so that's not really a consideration. Just curious what others thoughts are, largely on the 1000-3 vs 1000-5 decision.

Thanks!
We've got the five, the only time I use one of the back seats is when we take our 120 lbs Airedale to the cabin and go riding, the two small pups ride in the front withe the wife and I, I bought the bed liner thinking I would need it, now I just put a small tarp down then I haul stuff. The rear seats are uncomfortable for large adults and kinda sit low for children's visibility. If your wife doesn't care for the outdoors, I would get the 3 and three can still ride.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks!
I personally would go 1000-5. The 5 seater bed can still fit a lot of s*** and it's nice to have 5 seats because you never know. And when you don't have the seats flipped up the bed is covered so everything doesn't get completely soaked when it rains lol.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I personally would go 1000-5. The 5 seater bed can still fit a lot of s*** and it's nice to have 5 seats because you never know. And when you don't have the seats flipped up the bed is covered so everything doesn't get completely soaked when it rains lol.
Good point on the rain!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started the thread you ref'd, so have the 5 SE. I considered the 3, before I started looking, and would have been happy with that too.

The slightly smaller bed in the 5 is not much of an issue to me, as the bed size in the 5 is big enough. I will rarely use the flip up back seats, but I consider them as a plus as they're there if needed and unlike say the Yamaha Wolverine a neighbor has, the Honda's seats fold away and you'd never know they were there.

One of the big things different in your two choices, it the locking diff vs. the i4WD. I kind of like the technology, better steering performance, and convenience of i4WD. Though there are others who prefer the front diff lock. Then there's the equipment the SE comes with. If those added things are things you'd want to add anyway, then that makes the SE still more appealing, though truthfully, I'd have been happy to add the stuff myself. The real motivator for the SE for me was availability.

Last edited:
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 5 and am biased, so add that to the mix.

I've never needed more hauling space than the bed. I rarely use the rear seats, but there's no substitute for them.

Good luck.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 1000-5 D Lux, the 5 gives you a covered bed, the 3 does not, (what are you going to be loading and unloading) the 5 has flip up seats the 3 does not. You can load a bunch of stuff in the 5, both are very handy machines. Really boils down to what’s available and how do you see yourself using the buggy. For me I like the extra roof the 5gives me and the option of extra seats if I want/need them. The 3 might be easier to heat in the winter. Might put a pic of each one on a dart board close your eyes and throw. Good luck on your decision and pics when you get one.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have a 5 and am biased, so add that to the mix.

I've never needed more hauling space than the bed. I rarely use the rear seats, but there's no substitute for them.

Good luck.
Thanks. Again, you're not going to *comfortably* fit two ADULTS back there ... that's abundantly clear. If I was more trail oriented, I think I'd likely forego the Pioneer and pick up an RMAX4 1000. If I had small kids and was going to be trail riding far more often than I *think* I will be, the 1000-5 may make more sense.

But I'm thinking it will be used more as a sport/UTILITY than a SPORT/utility -- or maybe 50/50. It will also likely be me ~80% of the time, me and the wife ~20% percent of the time.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the 3 seater and 5 seater. The only advantage the 3 seater has over the 5 seater is if u wanna freely throw stuff in the bed. Or use a tractor with a bucket to dump in the bed. It's only gonna haul maybe 1 scoop of rock/dirt from a compact tractor. I ended up putting a tool box in my 3 seater so it has zero advantages over my 5 seater now. I wish I would have gotten another 5 seater for the covered bed.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
As many have replied, I have a P1K5 and that's what my vote goes towards. Now......Guy in my area has a 5 seater and he took off the rear section of cage to have unobstructed access to the bed, but still have the 2 flip seats for them just in case rides. He's got what looks like the 3 seater roof and except for the bed being a tad smaller and having rear doors you'd never know the difference. So again, my money would still be on the 5 seater 👍

Good luck

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im with the 5er! With the 5er your high and dry! Def Leopard! 🤟

I think we need to add a pole at the top of the page! @Hondasxs 🥳

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
I like the five BUT I have three kids. I think for you if you can’t imagine using the back seat then get the 3 seater because you have a WAY different machine there. A SE vs a deluxe is a way nicer rig. Fox shocks winch windshield roof led lights i4wd etc etc. a back panel and some doors and your build is complete. (Heater maybe for where you live ) and you’ll still have a middle seat to take grandkids on joy rides. Buy the SE.
Now if you found a 5 seater in an LE or SE trim , different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I like the five BUT I have three kids. I think for you if you can’t imagine using the back seat then get the 3 seater because you have a WAY different machine there. A SE vs a deluxe is a way nicer rig. Fox shocks winch windshield roof led lights i4wd etc etc. a back panel and some doors and your build is complete. (Heater maybe for where you live ) and you’ll still have a middle seat to take grandkids on joy rides. Buy the SE.
Now if you found a 5 seater in an LE or SE trim , different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Build is complete? 🤨
a build is never complete. ;)

R

rickoshea

I like my P-5 I like having the full roof. I also like having so much bed access, I use the rear side doors more for loading and unloading then the tail gate.
20210421 113415 1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!