P1000 2021 1000-5 base riding extremely rough

C

clarythedrill

Jul 20, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
To all, I have a new base model 1000-5 that has new wheels and tires on it that are larger and wider than the stock ones. The dealer put them on prior to me purchasing. I do not remember the size, brand or ply, but they are pretty meaty. I currently am running 15 psi in all four, and the rig rides EXTREMELY rough. I used to have a 2020 Pioneer 700-2, and it road the same, even with 10 psi in all four tires. Will the ride smoothen out with time once the shocks break in or is it just a HD type SXS that will always ride rough? The rig is at my deer lease right now, but next time our there I am going to lower the psi to probably 10 front and 12 rear to see if it is a little bit smoother.

The Hunter

The Hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club, my advice would be to get your self a set of fox shocks. My 1000-5 had fox shocks on it when I bought it and it’s like riding on a cloud in all kinds of terrain. I forget which ones they are but they’re not the QS3 but they are great . Well worth getting.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
To all, I have a new base model 1000-5 that has new wheels and tires on it that are larger and wider than the stock ones. The dealer put them on prior to me purchasing. I do not remember the size, brand or ply, but they are pretty meaty. I currently am running 15 psi in all four, and the rig rides EXTREMELY rough. I used to have a 2020 Pioneer 700-2, and it road the same, even with 10 psi in all four tires. Will the ride smoothen out with time once the shocks break in or is it just a HD type SXS that will always ride rough? The rig is at my deer lease right now, but next time our there I am going to lower the psi to probably 10 front and 12 rear to see if it is a little bit smoother.
Define "rides .... rough". Are you referring to the constant 'rumbling' type of feeling you get when on even ground, are are you talking about the machine feeling like it's bouncing, jerking bottoming out as you go over obstacles (e.g., rocks, trees, etc.) but is smooth on level ground?

Regarding the tires the dealer installed: If you put (as you referred to it) a 'meaty' tire on a vehicle, you're going to have a rougher ride on pavement and other level surfaces versus a smoother tire with a less aggressive tread. Think about 'meaty' tires with large lugs on a 4x4 pickup compared to less aggressive passenger car tires on that same truck. Off road, the more aggressive tires are better, but on road (or level surfaces), they will cause more vibration and a rougher ride. Also, the less sidewall (height) you have, the more you're going to transfer the road/trail and it's imperfections through to the vehicle versus a tire with more sidewall height.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Also need to define "riding extremely rough"
For me, If I go below 13, I can guarantee I'll have a pinch flat before the end of our adventure.
Shoot.. I run 14 and last 3 adventures have claimed a tire. So 3 tires in 2 months.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Post a pic of the tires or give a name. I had a set like this on my old ranger and it would just about shake the steering wheel out of your hand below 15mph. They were fantastic in the mud, but I ride more on trails and gravel than in the mud nowdays. They didn't last long before I sold them to someone who needs them for mudding.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post a pic of the tires or give a name. I had a set like this on my old ranger and it would just about shake the steering wheel out of your hand below 15mph. They were fantastic in the mud, but I ride more on trails and gravel than in the mud nowdays. They didn't last long before I sold them to someone who needs them for mudding.

View attachment 301742

Those look like hours in the dentist chair just sittin' there!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im assuming since you SAID you have a base And no pics to prove it, You have stock shocks. That accompanied with some aftermarket tires at any pressure will loosen your fillings. Looks like new aftermarket shocks are in order for you my friend.

Also welcome to the club And…..
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

C

clarythedrill

Jul 20, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes, the shocks are stock. It was a base model that the dealer put new tires/wheels on, a top, and a Tough Country front bumper on prior to purchasing. All I added was a winch and a half windshield.

As for how rough, it is used at a deer lease with trails to all the feeders and stands. No jumps or large bumps or any of that. This last winter all the cows walked down the trails after a large rain and the trails are now nothing but little potholes the size of a cows hoof. Last year, before the rain, my 700-2 road rough as all hell too, and there were no little potholes at that time. Other than the ride, I love the 1000-5. Maybe shocks are on the list for near future mods.

Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 deluxe and I felt like my teeth would rattle out with stock shocks. Another vote for fox qs3.
Switched to 28" carnivores this summer. Tire change didn't change ride quality much if at all

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!