2021 Honda Talon 1000X-4 Live Valve Clutch Temp

E

EKY21TalonX4LV

Jul 2, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Hey guys, my 2021 Talon has about 450 miles on it and the past two times I have went riding, we have had the clutch temp indicator start flashing and the i-4wd light stays solid. The AT/MT flashes and the gear indicator flashes and once you stop it will not move or let you shift into any gear, like it's in neutral but will have a flashing 1 in the gear selection on the dash.

If you look in the manual, it does not have this combo of lights given on any examples. The only thing I can find says if the clutch temp indicator begins flashing to stop and put in park until it cools down and the light goes off. The odd thing is if I shut the machine off and start back up it goes away and this only happens right as we start riding. It happens and then we could ride for 50 miles and not happen again.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what could cause this? I have a video attached for reference.

Reactions: TripleB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to post your video to YouTube (or similar) and the post the link to it here. Congratulations on your first post! Sorry it’s because your having trouble. Welcome to the forum. I’m sure some of the Talon guys will chime in with ideas for you.

Pics or it didn’t happen…because we like pics mostly.
Red is the fastest color!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
With that many warnings going off all at once, you most likely have one or more of the following...

1. Lose or corroded battery cables.
  2. Lose or corroded ground connections.
  3. A plug not fully connected together.
  4. A wire improperly inserted into a plug.
FYI, #3 and 4 are more common than you think.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
has the wiring routing issue been resolved on the newer talons, there was a bunch of harnesses rubbing\grounding\shorting between the seats on 4 seaters a while back

E

EKY21TalonX4LV

Jul 2, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
You have to post your video to YouTube (or similar) and the post the link to it here. Congratulations on your first post! Sorry it’s because your having trouble. Welcome to the forum. I’m sure some of the Talon guys will chime in with ideas for you.

Appreciate the warm welcome! I also have enjoyed seeing some of y'all's pics, so I'll be sure to share. It's saying my pics are too big to process right now, I'll try again later.

E

EKY21TalonX4LV

Jul 2, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
has the wiring routing issue been resolved on the newer talons, there was a bunch of harnesses rubbing\grounding\shorting between the seats on 4 seaters a while back
I had heard on a different forum that there were some connectors under the driver seat that come unseated that could potentially cause issues. I may have to check here first.

Reactions: Smitty335
E

EKY21TalonX4LV

Jul 2, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
With that many warnings going off all at once, you most likely have one or more of the following...

1. Lose or corroded battery cables.
  2. Lose or corroded ground connections.
  3. A plug not fully connected together.
  4. A wire improperly inserted into a plug.
FYI, #3 and 4 are more common than you think.
For sure, I had heard from another forum that unseated connectors may cause this problem. The OP was having a different issue than me but it was similar. I will have to check some connections.

H

HondaTech

I heard about this issue, but havent seen one having any problems due to that particular thing.

E

EKY21TalonX4LV

Jul 2, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

New video by Joshua Johnson you can see if this link will work for the video to see what I'm talking about

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New video by Joshua Johnson you can see if this link will work for the video to see what I'm talking about
Link works. That’s a flashing dash for sure. 🤯

Posting pics shouldn’t be a problem. But worst case when you select pics you should be able to click an extra layer deep and choose size. I generally pic medium and never have an issue. The site usually downsizes them for me if I forget though. They can’t be “live” pics though as those are seen as videos.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had heard on a different forum

For sure, I had heard from another forum
Ease the brakes there turbo! 😂 🤣
You ain't been on here since yesterday. Other sources are cool but throwing around "another forum" reference so soon twice.......:eek:🥳

Welcome from Michigan!
When u get that photo issue fixed 🤨
Must be trying to load a full size Pic of the Titanic...
Start an Intro thread about u and your rig with pics.
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Quick question about your rig to help with your question. You didn't say if u have swamped it or not? Aka sunk it in water that can be up to the seats or deeper.

E

EKY21TalonX4LV

Jul 2, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
🤣 I meant another thread. Not up on my lingo I guess, I have scrolled this forum before when I have been doing some research. First time posting on anything so gonna have to give me a break, lol.

To answer your question, no I haven't sunk it. Have done a decent amount of creek riding and ain't afraid of a mud hole. Have went in a hole where the front end was stuck and water came up in the floorboard to just below my knees but wouldn't say sunk because I reversed out quickly.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome to the two Newbs from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information. One of the posts has a link to the bolt rubbing through the wiring harness under a rear seat or thereabouts.

Outsideline

Outsideline

Jun 25, 2021
Osage beach
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the two Newbs from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information. One of the posts has a link to the bolt rubbing through the wiring harness under a rear seat or thereabouts.
When I first got buggy I went through all the stuff in that thread. All grounds check and put rubber boot on the seat belt bolt. Been at dealer once already for this problem and all they did was reboot and update. Now buggy won’t go in gear.
All gears are like in neutral.
A - in gear selection box not flashing and then it goes a 2 again not flashing. i4wd light on and red oil light.

• Sad
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
This is on my list to fix.
There is a upload size limit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I think you just pulled a @Smitty335 , pretty sure he was talking about the seat rubbing the wires on the X4's lol

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Appreciate the warm welcome! I also have enjoyed seeing some of y'all's pics, so I'll be sure to share. It's saying my pics are too big to process right now, I'll try again later.
Would you try to upload a pic again.
I changed max size to 20mb.
appreicate any feedback.
Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!