P1000 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 I-4wd issue

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have roughly 60 miles on my 21 Pioneer and I was out driving on the trails when the I-4wd light came on. I was in 2wheel when this happened. The light came on and stayed on. The manual says to stop and take to a dealership right away, but they are booked through September.

I am able to shift in to 4wheel and out of 4wheel. No leaks I can see. And no weird noises.

Any idea what to do would be much appreciated.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have roughly 60 miles on my 21 Pioneer and I was out driving on the trails when the I-4wd light came on. I was in 2wheel when this happened. The light came on and stayed on. The manual says to stop and take to a dealership right away, but they are booked through September.

I am able to shift in to 4wheel and out of 4wheel. No leaks I can see. And no weird noises.

Trade it for a deluxe with a real locker! Just kidding. IDK what your issue is but I'm pretty sure I've read someone else having the same issue on here before.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

Check your grounds and make sure your battery has a good charge. These things are finicky about voltage.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
my new talon did this and I had to fix the crappy alignment. I believe it happened again right before I sold it and it was the brake switch. The dealer fixed it. Seems a few things will cause this.

So this was first caused by bad alignment then again by the brake switch?

Kind of a bummer to buy a pioneer based on the reliability I have had with Honda ATV's for the last 20 years, only to have issues in week one of ownership. Plus this one was more than I've ever paid for a sxs. My Yamaha viking vi, although it was annoying at all times, went for almost 2,500 miles with just basic servicing.

I am hoping I did not get a lemon.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have zero experience, so take this for the little it's worth. Much on these machines is electronic. Some strange problems have been resolved by removing voltage (disconnect negative terminal from battery). Wait a few minutes, then reconnect. The idea being to reboot the computer/s. Easy, fun (?), may or may not work, but worth a try.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are three (3) grounds accessable on the back of the engine. Lift up the bed, put a stick or pipe like I did, and undo the quick-lock plastic clips and covers. You will see where the oil filters are. On both sides of the filter area are 3 grounding points. Just wires going to a lug and a bolt. Don't just wiggle. Get a 10 mm wrench and tighten. You will be amazed at how loose they can be and still not wiggle by hand. Mine got 1 turn on one and 2 and 1/2 turns on the rear bolt. My weird issues ended 3 years ago with nothing wrong since. Worth the 20 minutes. Good luck. I drive mine all over Nevada knowing that she's bullet proof.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
There are three (3) grounds accessable on the back of the engine. Lift up the bed, put a stick or pipe like I did, and undo the quick-lock plastic clips and covers. You will see where the oil filters are. On both sides of the filter area are 3 grounding points. Just wires going to a lug and a bolt. Don't just wiggle. Get a 10 mm wrench and tighten. You will be amazed at how loose they can be and still not wiggle by hand. Mine got 1 turn on one and 2 and 1/2 turns on the rear bolt. My weird issues ended 3 years ago with nothing wrong since. Worth the 20 minutes. Good luck. I drive mine all over Nevada knowing that she's bullet proof.

HI Ericthered,

Thanks for letting me know where these are. Ill give this a shot whenI get off work today.

Do you have any trails your partial to? I am down in Pleasant Valley now and we usually drive jumbo a few times a month to hit VC for breakfast. I am wondering if the super rocky nature of the trails has made something loose.

On a side note, I think I also have a bad shock. The driver-rear shock adjustment is just floating and does not engage any of the settings. Its crazy rough so Im thinking its stuck on stiff or needs to be replaced. Have you had any issue like that before?

Reactions: Lady01 and 05Willys
B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have zero experience, so take this for the little it's worth. Much on these machines is electronic. Some strange problems have been resolved by removing voltage (disconnect negative terminal from battery). Wait a few minutes, then reconnect. The idea being to reboot the computer/s. Easy, fun (?), may or may not work, but worth a try.

I am also going to give this a shot after work. Where I live, there are a ton of real rocky and sandy trails. I am wondering based all the replies if its just a matter of a loose connection as everyone has suggested that. Plus maybe this is why the other issues have happened....

Maybe I am just being over critical of my machine. I guess because it was pricey I could have had unrealistic expectations of what could go wrong and when. To date the lower piece of the windshield fell off while towing home from the dealership, along with all the window seals and 2 of the clamps were loose. The I-4wd light is on. The drivers rear shock adjustment is either broken, loose, or not working. IT just spins, doesn't click in place like the others and hitting any bump results in pain lol. I do have a warranty so worst case, I am sure Honda will address these some point. But I am going to try doing what everyone has suggested and hopefully get this thing back online.

This machine is a ton of fun, regardless of these little things. So Im hoping the grounds are loose or the fix is simple.

Does anyone know if the shock adjuster can come loose? And if so, do you just set it on the setting you THINK it was supposed to be on and the tighten it down? Or am I off on that?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
HI Ericthered,

Thanks for letting me know where these are. Ill give this a shot whenI get off work today.

Do you have any trails your partial to? I am down in Pleasant Valley now and we usually drive jumbo a few times a month to hit VC for breakfast. I am wondering if the super rocky nature of the trails has made something loose.

On a side note, I think I also have a bad shock. The driver-rear shock adjustment is just floating and does not engage any of the settings. Its crazy rough so Im thinking its stuck on stiff or needs to be replaced. Have you had any issue like that before?
If the shock doesn't click when going between soft, medium and hard, that means the gas has leaked out. Take it in for warranty.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok so the plot thickens. Nothing was loose, but I tightened down a hair just in case. But I hooked up a battery tender when I got home and just checked again and the light turned off for about 30 minutes of driving. Then in came back on. The bike is reading 14.1 while driving and 13.7 with the lights turned on. Within 10 minutes of the lights on, the warning light came back on. But battery seems ok. IS it really as easy as a battery issue? Or could this be a deeper wiring problem?

I have a 1000-5 SE so would Honda really put a light on this thing that would not be supported?

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If the shock doesn't click when going between soft, medium and hard, that means the gas has leaked out. Take it in for warranty.
Thanks for the heads up. Called the shop at mentioned what you said. They confirmed and said they could "take some pictures" and talk with Honda about a warranty fix. But also that if they needed to get a new shock it could be a LONG time before they see one.

Is this something a simple rebuild could fix? I really don't want to wait months if I could have it rebuilt. We have enough desert shops that I assume off vehicle it wouldn't be that expensive?

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the heads up. Called the shop at mentioned what you said. They confirmed and said they could "take some pictures" and talk with Honda about a warranty fix. But also that if they needed to get a new shock it could be a LONG time before they see one.

Is this something a simple rebuild could fix? I really don't want to wait months if I could have it rebuilt. We have enough desert shops that I assume off vehicle it wouldn't be that expensive?
I ordered these caps for mine and put them on. Then I found out nobody local could fill them. So I bought the hoses and gauges from smitty racing. Then I had to purchase a tank for $100 and $16 to get it filled with nitrogen. You should have no problem getting it fixed locally since you have plenty of suspension shops.

Reactions: Smitty335
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am also going to give this a shot after work. Where I live, there are a ton of real rocky and sandy trails. I am wondering based all the replies if its just a matter of a loose connection as everyone has suggested that. Plus maybe this is why the other issues have happened....

Maybe I am just being over critical of my machine. I guess because it was pricey I could have had unrealistic expectations of what could go wrong and when. To date the lower piece of the windshield fell off while towing home from the dealership, along with all the window seals and 2 of the clamps were loose. The I-4wd light is on. The drivers rear shock adjustment is either broken, loose, or not working. IT just spins, doesn't click in place like the others and hitting any bump results in pain lol. I do have a warranty so worst case, I am sure Honda will address these some point. But I am going to try doing what everyone has suggested and hopefully get this thing back online.

This machine is a ton of fun, regardless of these little things. So Im hoping the grounds are loose or the fix is simple.

Does anyone know if the shock adjuster can come loose? And if so, do you just set it on the setting you THINK it was supposed to be on and the tighten it down? Or am I off on that?
I cant remember how that adjuster is connected but definitely tightened it up if possible. That could be your problem with the shock but I doubt it.

Reactions: Smitty335
B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I cant remember how that adjuster is connected but definitely tightened it up if possible. That could be your problem with the shock but I doubt it.

Yah it has all the ride manors of a solid, 0 suspension set up, but only on that 1 wheel. And considering I just hit 100miles, where the first 40 were AMAZING off road, the leak theory sounds the most solid.

Taking it to the shop for the picture day to see what they say tomorrow.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Battery has a good charge. Are there multiple spots I should be checking for the grounds? Everything I am seeing around the battery is tight and clean.
There are two engine grounds. I saw a photo here somewhere, but now I can't find it. They're on the driver's side and you may have to pull plastic to get to them.

My 2021 kept quitting after about 5 minutes. The shop found the engine grounds were loose, and that fixed the problem.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!