2022 pioneer 1000-5 cabin heat update

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hi all,

Upon researching the 2022 model I learned there were supposed changes made to reduce cabin heat. Upon installing my windshield I noticed the heat became rather uncomfortable. My dog rides in the middle and I couldn't believe how hot it was getting underneath him.

We will be adding the seismic vents to the windshield soon. We prefer the full windshield as opposed to a half or no windshield because where we ride the trails have over hanging brush and we don't like be wacked in the face.
Upon a call to our dealer we were told the 2022 has the extra heat shield kit. I watched some videos and saw the update honda will supposedly do at no charge.

It seemed to me that would be what comes standard on the 2022 but I guess not. There are no boots around the seatbelts or seat tabs and the heat literally blows up like a hot air furnace. We stuffed some towels in there initially which helped but still wasn't good because everything moves around and so does our dog.

This is our second trip with the full windshield and now we decided to make our own heat shield kit. Cost about $32 between the metal duct tape and foil bubble wrap. We are taping all the edges and making it so we can remove the whole thing anytime we want in seconds. There is enough material left over to make 2 more. A piece is going up the back seat as well and will be taped to the lower one to make it seemless.

If we need to, a radiator fan is going in next.

I made this post to show other new owners what they can do if not wanting to spend much money and also to give an update of the supposedly honda fixed heat issue.

20220805 102700 20220805 102645 20220805 102650 20220805 112800

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nothing has changed that's the update. Literally from 6 years ago July 2016, and I was far from the first.

Just another brick in the wall: Only enter if you dare :cool:

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Nothing has changed that's the update. Literally from 6 years ago July 2016, and I was far from the first.

Just another brick in the wall: Only enter if you dare :cool:
That is just crazy. I don't see why they won't fix this. I mean someone could literally be scalded.

Reactions: Rick53 and ChadD
N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
We did rig up a redneck windshield vent though. Worked awesome! We will be replacing the bottles with pool noodle cut outs. Our shielding lessened the problem but it was still there. It was about 90 degrees out and we stopped a couple times to cool our behinds. We will be mounting a radiator fan below to blow the heat out. I can't believe anyone would say it may or may not be an issue. By the design it is an issue. You sit atop a tranny with an engine directly behind you. It baffles me an underbelly fan is not standard equipment.

We both love the machine and do not regret our purchase at all. Just something to fix...on an all said and done $25k machine jeese.

20220805 155950

Reactions: Squeegee and ChadD
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I know I’m STRUGGLING with my ‘22 with seat heat! I’ve added the bilge fan, trigger shield, went 1/2 windshield and removed hard roof and a 20 min ride last night resulted in coming home early because Jessica and I were about burned out! I don’t know what else to do!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It's an issue with all SxS's, not just Honda. Manufacturers have been addressing it on the newer models, adding more plastic and sealing up holes, but it still doesn't get rid of all of it. Some of the older models, like Arctic Cat, had no plastics at all behind the seat and were wide open to the engine compartment. I started out only making shields for the P5 until I was constantly being asked to make them for other machines. Nothing solves the problem completely, especially if just idling and sitting still, but a shield helps a lot.
You can do the DIY stuff and I'm sure it'll help but chances are you'll spend close to the same amount if using good materials and will most likely put sticky sh** in your machine. FWIW

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It's an issue with all SxS's, not just Honda. Manufacturers have been addressing it on the newer models, adding more plastic and sealing up holes, but it still doesn't get rid of all of it. Some of the older models, like Arctic Cat, had no plastics at all behind the seat and were wide open to the engine compartment. I started out only making shields for the P5 until I was constantly being asked to make them for other machines. Nothing solves the problem completely, especially if just idling and sitting still, but a shield helps a lot.
You can do the DIY stuff and I'm sure it'll help but chances are you'll spend close to the same amount if using good materials and will most likely put sticky sh** in your machine. FWIW

THIIIIIIIIIISSSSS👆👆👆👆👆
Did the radiator fan under the seat first, then found the Quick Shield and installed it… FREAKIN AWESOME…
Yuge difference best mod I’ve done for seat heat no doubt.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

Having come from rzrs I have to disagree. I am sure there are other brands with exceptions but I had a rzr 2 seater for 3 years. I have ridden in my friends 4 seater and never had a problem either. Warm, yes. But not to the point where a passenger has to lift off the seat, climb out of the rig to cool off. Both machines had full windshields.

The reflective heat barrier we created has a second panel which is affixed to the first one you see in the pic. It goes up behind the backrest just like the one you make. Didn't cost much to do. It is a major improvement yes but just not enough.

At our campground our friends have rzrs and can ams. Some have full windshields, others a half. Nobody has the problem we are experiencing.

I love the machine and it is an animal. Unfortunately the heat issue is to an excessive level.

Now when it is below 32 degrees outside I cannot wait to remove the heatshield we made and turn off the fan I will be installing. I plan to ride by people in shorts and a tank top.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know I’m STRUGGLING with my ‘22 with seat heat! I’ve added the bilge fan, trigger shield, went 1/2 windshield and removed hard roof and a 20 min ride last night resulted in coming home early because Jessica and I were about burned out! I don’t know what else to do!
Get you a SuperATV flip up windshield. I installed bilge fan and quick shield on my 2018. Now the front passenger seat belt brackets are cool to the touch. Same thing with the "grab bar" for the back passengers. I have the SuperATV flip up with the Honda oem roof

GRANITE

GRANITE

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Get you a SuperATV flip up windshield. I installed bilge fan and quick shield on my 2018. Now the front passenger seat belt brackets are cool to the touch. Same thing with the "grab bar" for the back passengers. I have the SuperATV flip up with the Honda oem ro
Get you a SuperATV flip up windshield. I installed bilge fan and quick shield on my 2018. Now the front passenger seat belt brackets are cool to the touch. Same thing with the "grab bar" for the back passengers. I have the SuperATV flip up with the Honda oem roof
Not doing any flip up windshield. I have a 801 windshield that’s fine.

GRANITE

GRANITE

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
And I’ll say this. My Yamaha X2 and RMAX did NOT EVER put off heat in cab! It’s a more potent engine with more HP and would never give off heat in cab! #tradeoffssuck! Lol

W

willieronk

Supporting Member
May 12, 2022
MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the good stuff. I had to use a modification of the silver blanket insulation, too. Worked well (I guess okay) except for the seat belt feeds. More to come over time and sorry but no pics. We're in the toolies in MT and have to make do with what we can.

Much obliged

Reactions: mlynch001
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the risk of triggering someone with a 2022 model, all I can say is if you think your 2022 model is hot, you should thank Sweet Baby Jesus you did not buy a 2016 model. Our 2016 was a salvage rig and barely ran when we first bought it, but even on short trips, it would cook you alive. it was one hot and miserable SOB. That being said, I have a much improved 2016 to which I have added the Heat shield attached under the seat bottom, a bilge fan, extensive extra insulation on all the other panels surrounding the engine, Insulation materials added to BOTH SIDES of the panel between the upper and lower seat cushions, seals on the shifters, seals around the steering column, 3D Printed, roll bar mounted air deflectors, TMUG Windshield extenders, Additional seals on the seat belt anchors AND I have added the 2022 model under seat panels and seat belt seal panels.

My machine has a temp sensor and PID controller to operate the bilge fan. This allows me to monitor the actual under seat temps to determine if my modifications have helped. I can tell you this, the 2016 with no modifications has a bottom of the seat temperature of in excess of 180 degrees on a very hot day. I my current configuration, the under seat temps run from 110-120 on a very hot (100 degree) day here in Arkansas. Our typical riding day is 85-95 degrees and 70-80% Humidity, with many days being much hotter; so heat is a real problem here. Adding the 2022 under seat panels to my 2016 made a HUGE difference along with even more extra insulation, sealing the seat belt anchors. I have spent a lot of time and a little bit of extra $$$ to make my 2016 much better than stock, and from the sound of it, even better than the 2022. The 2022 does have a lot of good changes, but there are still improvements to be made.

Last edited:
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the risk of triggering someone with a 2022 model, all I can say is if you think your 2022 model is hot, you should thank Sweet Baby Jesus you did not buy a 2016 model. Our 2016 was a salvage rig and barely ran when we first bought it, but even on short trips, it would cook you alive. it was one hot and miserable SOB. That being said, I have a much improved 2016 to which I have added the Heat shield attached under the seat bottom, a bilge fan, extensive extra insulation on all the other panels surrounding the engine, Insulation materials added to BOTH SIDES of the panel between the upper and lower seat cushions, seals on the shifters, seals around the steering column, 3D Printed, roll bar mounted air deflectors, TMUG Windshield extenders, Additional seals on the seat belt anchors AND I have added the 2022 model under seat panels and seat belt seal panels.

My machine has a temp sensor and PID controller to operate the bilge fan. This allows me to monitor the actual under seat temps to determine if my modifications have helped. I can tell you this, the 2016 with no modifications has a bottom of the seat temperature of in excess of 180 degrees on a very hot day. I my current configuration, the under seat temps run from 110-120 on a very hot (100 degree) day here in Arkansas. Our typical riding day is 85-95 degrees and 70-80% Humidity, with many days being much hotter; so heat is a real problem here. Adding the 2022 under seat panels to my 2016 made a HUGE difference along with even more extra insulation, sealing the seat belt anchors. I have spent a lot of time and a little bit of extra $$$ to make my 2016 much better than stock, and from the sound of it, even better than the 2022. The 2022 does have a lot of good changes, but there are still improvements to be made.
I have done very similar things to my 2022 Trail. It's not my butt that cooks, it's the warm air I feel on my face coming from the firewall. Just below the dash and centre of the firewall the plastic is extremely hot and there is air movement. Looks like its time to add more Dynamat Extreme and hood liner. It will be a pain to get in there. Thinking I'll drop the skid plate and see if I can work from the bottom up. If I'm not doing off roading and mudding would it be a good idea (safe) to remove the skid plate to allow more air flow?

Reactions: mlynch001
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have done very similar things to my 2022 Trail. It's not my butt that cooks, it's the warm air I feel on my face coming from the firewall. Just below the dash and centre of the firewall the plastic is extremely hot and there is air movement. Looks like its time to add more Dynamat Extreme and hood liner. It will be a pain to get in there. Thinking I'll drop the skid plate and see if I can work from the bottom up. If I'm not doing off roading and mudding would it be a good idea (safe) to remove the skid plate to allow more air flow?
One thing that I did not mention is that I added a foam barrier or packing around the steering column. There was a lot of hot air coming through that area. Also added some seals around the shifters. The dash and front floor areas are where most of the heat is coming from on mine as well. As far as removing the skid plate, that would be up to you, if you never go offroad, you might be OK. But for me that is not a good idea. I added a TUSK UHMW skid plate for extra protection.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My next “project” is to try to build a defector of sorts to direct the hot air from the fan and radiator down and to the sides, more or less to seal the under hood and dash areas from direct contact from the hot fan and radiator air. Going to need to remove the hood, grill and front fender to do that. Right now all that hot air hits the dash and under the hood. This has a side effect of making the Intake Air Temps very high. Maybe kill two birds with one stone?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!